DCS F/A-18C

I think that this is the thread @SiThSpAwN is referencing. Let me see if I can cull some info…

[quote=“Olgerd”] [Re: [Claim] The ATFLIR can clearly see the soldiers 4 miles up and 30 miles away!
Has this been collaborated?] 30 miles away sounds unrealistic for me. At 5-6 miles of slant range is definitely possible. [/quote]

[quote=“Anonymous User”] [The priority is

1. TAWS
  2. TAWS (without DTED)
  3. GPWS
    But in RL aircrew auth limits wouldn’t normally activate any of these. LLAT (Low Level Awareness Training) rules are rehearsed often, and if any of the RADALT/TAWS/GPWS warnings activate an immediate wings level pull up recovery is initiated, and the tape review would be appropriately debriefed…[/quote]
2 Likes

I’m in class at the moment…I gotta figure this A-10C out before I start drooling over the Hornet…

1 Like

I don’t know that I believe the title of this video…

2 Likes

Believe that and you have to believe that military budget cuts were even bigger than they said… :wink:

If advanced is measured in dollars spent, I am sure it is, I do know that ED’s SME’s have said things about FM and such are well beyond what they have experienced in the military.

1 Like

That’s the Kraken!

That point isn’t really the simulation inside, it’s what the pilot feels.

1 Like

STILL

1 Like

Us Flight Sim kiddies are a strictly picky bunch…

If we had to settle for the quality level the active duty pilots do, we’d riot.

2 Likes

Yeah, but they also get to play with the real thing…

1 Like

Pay me multiple thousands of dollars per year to fly a sim and I will gladly accept lower standards than one which I pay for. :wink: A professional sim is supposed to supplement actual flight time by fulfilling specific objectives, not supplant it. Our sims supplant our ever flying one of these birds.

In short, when it’s your job you make do with what you have because, well, that’s your job. When it’s your entertainment, you don’t make do, you want your money’s worth.

you’d think they want a realistic flight model in their training simulators… lol…

2 Likes

That’s a fact! :smiley:
The 6DOF full motion flightsim we use at work does indeed have shortcomings that would start multiple flamefests if a ED 3rd party developer was responsible for it! :wink:

1 Like

the simulators I’ve been in at Oceana and Langley were… meh…

I can guarantee that at least two of the Mil Sims I attended were VERY realistic.

I am sure they have to be pretty good, and I am sure system modelling is well beyond anything ED is allowed to do for obvious reasons.

Well, modeling is better than many can imagine- as the potential for negative training (teaching the wrong thing) is disastrous. At least for the two I worked with…

I have seen a military flight simulator that had a Dash 1 manual corrected.
The simulator was “better” than the plane’s manual- the one given to instructors for training the trainee.

I’d say that’s pretty good.

But again, that’s the scope- the sole purpose.
DCS is a game. It’s unfair to compare the two- either way.

I enjoy both my Military simulators and games just as much for extremely different reasons.
:slight_smile:
I enjoy DCS modules a lot- even though sometimes they are too much alike a military sim.
But it’s improving.

2 Likes

On the real world US sims, FAA Part 60 dictates how quickly simulators are updated to match the actual aircraft. In many cases, the sim is modified prior to the aircraft to ensure functionalty.

If a visual system requires updates, say an airfield adds a new building or taxiway, they’ve only got 45-60 days to get it added. This prevents that negative training you mentioned.

1 Like

I think the point was that not even simulators used for real pilot training are perfect.
Yet many arm chair pilots expect their $50 flightsim on their home computer to be… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Eh… don’t start me on that- some times I’m really happy I don’t get out with “friends” to drink anymore.
There was so much drivel and… no. * breathing slowly * Nothing can harm me anymore… I’m in aplace of light and calmness… My plant is thriving and alive… breathing slowly

4 Likes

Sorry @komemiute! Here, have a beer! :beer:

1 Like