DCS: The Border Campaign

Aaah, fair point. Consider it shrapnel damage :wink:

LOL…I was just scrambling to get away from that house. I ended up flying up the valley, then coming back around to destroy it with rockets I think - or did I order the Mi-24s to destroy it (?) (I’ll have to check my screens). Whatever the case, I wasn’t close enough to get “killt”…

Have you tried any of this in VR @BeachAV8R?

I’m thinking I might try the A10C Red Flag in VR, but wondering if I’ll need something to see PDFs etc. I should probably set up the kneeboard materials, as the kneeboard works great in VR.

I haven’t - but not because I haven’t wanted to, but mostly because I can’t capture really good screens to go along with articles :smile:

The A-10C in Red Flag might be pretty daunting - that campaign is fairly hard…well, maybe not for someone more proficient. I’m thinking about giving Operation Piercing Fury a whirl (for the A-10C) - I picked that up during the last sale along with some of the BFT training ones.

Are there any other Nevada map campaigns other than the A-10C and F-15C ones?

The FC3 campaigns might be worth a shot too, I found the A-10A campaign to be quite fun!

1 Like

I’m really hoping to get an Su-33 with the PFM or AFM or whatever it is called and a new campaign for that at some point. One with A2A and A2G…

2 Likes

Oooh thar’be sea dragons here :wink:

1 Like

…and…to be honest, I would really like a low intensity conflict type of thing for the C-101CC (?) whenever we get that. Something against guerillas or something like that. Oh…this video is from nearly a year ago…I want sooooo bad!

I will so be all over that plane when it’s fully released with a campaign!

1 Like

@BeachAV8R, what would you say are the top 5 skills you need to that campaign?

1. General Helicopter handling;
  2. Doppler (and general) navigation w/ radios;
  3. Weapons;
  4. Sling Loading;

ie: What would these be the skills you would recommend practicing before playing.

1 Like

All of em Fridge. The Mi-8 is a fantastic nimble machine once you get to feel it’s edge! But it is massive, and overpowered. So, light but determined control is very important.

The Doppler system is explained on this very website but the glorious @EinsteinEP.

The weapons… Well, I would recommend getting a feel for activating them and how to achieve the firing parameters. Flying by the book when doing weapon employment is very important.

Sling loading is easy, but do remember that slowing down ought to be done slowly, and the weight change when the cable is tensioned is something you will feel.

TL:DR, JUST FLYYYYYYY

1 Like

I think you have it in order - also (perhaps under General Helicopter) would be the cold start if you are so inclined to not use the LeftWin+Home technique. Technically, you could probably even fly the whole campaign using the F10 map for reference and/or labels, so that would eliminate the need for the Doppler, but the Doppler is so much fun to use (and actually quite easy), that would be a shame to eliminate that.

With regards to weapons - you don’t use them much, and you can get away with just learning the rockets or the gun pods, but it is important to know all the switches you have to throw to get them to be active and armed.

Sling loading is awesome fun in my opinion.

Your biggest enemy in this campaign is impatience. Impatience killed me multiple times when I was trying to “hurry” up a landing or approach and ended up getting sloppy and entering VRS. This is extremely frustrating if you are thirty or forty minutes into a mission and you crash because you couldn’t take the extra couple of minutes to properly set up for your landing.

3 Likes

BOOOO

2 Likes

I knew that Doppler comment would bounce right back at him.

1 Like

My opinion on the matter is definitely shifting…

1 Like

yes

1 Like

Cool - I’ll definitely pick it up…but it looks to be A2A - I really hope we can see some A2G and helo campaigns coming down the pipe…

About that, Chris. Weren’t you a Ka-50 buff? Did you ever try the Republic campaign?

We’ve also got that upcoming UH-1H campaign and some stuff for the A-10 wich is being made by @Baltic_Dragon.

2 Likes

Hey Chris, the A-10 one is still in the making and progressing slowly, but if you’d like to have a look at it we’d appreciate your feedback (not talking about an article, just info what you think)! I guess it is different to anything that is out there at the moment.

6 Likes

Hey, it’s Baltic Dragon!

awwww :frowning:

3 Likes