DCS World - Barriers to Entry? (Myth Busted!)

DCS World - Barriers to Entry?? (Myth Busted!)

By @BeachAV8R - May 25, 2017
Originally published at: Articles - Mudspike Forums

A flight sim veteran attempts to take a look at DCS World from a newcomer’s perspective, and finds a surprising amount of gameplay…

Back to the Future

This article was inspired by a post I read a few months ago on a social media site that I found both interesting and confounding. The post was a long editorial on how sims in general have too high a cost of entry for new users. Examples were given of premium priced add-ons and the cumulative cost of bringing a sim up to par, with specific mentions of some popular FSX products. The conversation (or walls of text with various people coming down on either side of the issue) naturally expanded out to include combat simulations and it got my mind to thinking: How would I view DCS World as a newcomer to the series and what “barriers to entry” would I encounter on the way? There was only one way to find out - to start fresh!

Installing as a Nugget

As most of us experienced users know, DCS World is comprised of a free-to-play base game that includes the Su-25T and the TF-51D. I suppose if one were wanting to stretch the definition of a barrier to entry, one could object to the fact that the installation of a bare bones DCS World install is going to weigh in at nearly 25GB. For internet users on slow connections, or those that pay per GB of data, this could be considered limiting I suppose, but I don’t think this is a situation that is often encountered. The installer is very efficient, using torrents and Eagle Dynamic’s own servers to provide the files. The auto-updating nature of DCS World is convenient for new and experienced users alike. For the purposes of this article, we will ignore Open Alpha and Open Beta installs and instead just focus on the core stable DCS World install.

Upon launching DCS World, new users will be prompted to either login or create an account, but you can actually skip the login box and proceed without doing that. I won’t go exhaustively through the menu screens, but for a new user, only the Su-25T Frogfoot and TF-51D Mustang will be listed under the installed modules tab.

Settings

Once again, one could argue that hardware cost might be a barrier to entry for any game or sim if you are looking to run at maximum resolutions and features. That is a bit of a stretch though since even modest hardware runs DCS World at very nice framerates. Again, trying to put yourself in the place of a new user, you may want to just choose a preset option (Low/Medium/High) and go with that. It is not probable that a new user would be VR ready, but I guess it could happen.

I would argue that one of the biggest obstacles to new users perhaps having a rough initial impression will be when they first get in the cockpit and attempt their first takeoff in the Su-25T or TF-51D without realizing that all of their axis commands are all simultaneously mapped to multiple controllers. For the purposes of this article, I unplugged my TM Warthog and T.Flight pedals and connected my single Mad Catz F.L.Y. 5 joystick. I was in luck in that the controller did not provide any conflicts and DCS World properly configured the pitch, roll, yaw, and throttle to the correct assignments. For new users, it certainly would be nice if, on the first launch of DCS World, a controller setup box would pop up similar to what we see in X-Plane that would have you wiggle your controls and set assignments. A basic combined stick and throttle, and even a gamepad with a throttle axis can be used to play DCS World, so there are no real prohibitive controller hardware issues for the new user. Once again, you have to sort of put out of your mind TrackIR and the high end controllers like the TM Warthog - things we know exist and that add immensely to our sim experience. A good Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick will only run you around $35. The goal with attracting new users it to minimize frustration and ease the cost of entry.

Content

Now here is where things get good. To this point, we’ve spent nothing for DCS World, and maybe $35 for a controller. As a longtime DCS World user - some of you might be laughing and thinking “well, what are you doing to do now?” It was with great surprise that I found the answer to that question is: Quite a lot…!

• 8 Su-25T Instant Action missions
  • 3 TF-51D Instant Action missions
  • 1 Su-25T Campaign “Georgian Oil War”
  • 15 Su-25T Training missions
  • 6 TF-51D Training missions
  • Limitless Fast Mission generated missions

New users would likely start with the Training missions. The fifteen mission Su-25T training course is phenomenally well done. The missions include all the basic stepping stones from start, taxi, takeoff, to landing, navigation, and weapons. The missions are superbly voiced over by Matt Wagner and are set at a scale and tempo that are perfect for new users, and are even enjoyable for veteran DCS World pilots that might not have visited those areas of the sim in some time. The use of fly through boxes to provide guidance and the brilliant Active Pause feature (which allows you to freeze the aircraft in mid-flight while still operating controls) is the perfect way to teach concepts to new pilots. The TF-51D, owing to its non-weaponized status, has a shorter training curriculum of six lessons, but users get the added bonus of being introduced to clickable cockpits and the smooth voice of the instructor from the original A-10C training missions.

By the end of the training lessons - particularly in the Su-25T - new users will have a pretty good grasp on the capabilities of the Su-25T, and how to perform basic attacks. Just knowing how to shoot a missile or drop a bomb are only the first steps though - tactics such as terrain masking, picking a route through enemy defenses, and general principles of how to survive on the battlefield are lessons that will be learned in single missions, campaigns, and online play.

The same - but different

One striking thing from the perspective of a longtime Flanker / LOMAC / DCS user is that even though some of the curriculum of the training missions remains similar to past versions, the environments have evolved so much over the years that the experience is pretty jaw dropping. As DCS World has evolved it has added HDR lighting, camera lens effects, clouds, improved graphics, better performance, smoke, fire, etc., and the experience even in the training scenarios is vastly improved. New users definitely have it good in that all of the DCS World core components are in there to see and interact with - completely free of charge. Even add-on modules become part of the core content, meaning that you get to fly next to supremely detailed creations that give an added punch to the realism that DCS World creates. As well, the advances in physics, tweaks, bug-fixes, improved mission editor and AI capabilities have all been rolled into the core game and the experience only gets better with each DCS World version.

Instant Action & Single Missions

After the training missions, a new user would likely move on to either the Instant Action missions or the Single Missions. The Instant Action Su-25T missions include some nice free flight missions, general target practice missions, and varying difficulty levels of close air support missions. Some of these missions have substantial threats, so new users will probably get to experience the DCS World damage model quite frequently. Single missions are generally more fleshed out than the Instant Action missions, and include more detailed briefings and more complex mission goals.

Missions tend to be somewhat difficult for new users, and even veteran users that are coming back to the Su-25T might find some challenge in completing the goals. DCS World is fairly scalable with regards to realism options and difficulty settings that should allow new players to take advantage of things like labels, unlimited weapons, damage, and fuel. For the purposes of this article, I found my single twist grip stick and throttle was completely adequate for flying in DCS World while using the hat switch to control the view. Is it ideal? Probably not - but again, we are focusing on entry level experience and hardware

Additional Content

A bonus feature of any DCS module (payware or free) is that the user community tends to create their own missions, campaigns, skins, and utilities to tart them up even more. If you visit the DCS User Files database and filter by Su-25T and missions/campaigns, you will find a good number of single player missions that can also be freely played with the free Su-25T. I tested a number of them, and most worked just fine, but be aware that as DCS World development marches on, the changes to the Mission Editor sometimes result in glitches to older missions. User created missions range from simple to complex, with basic targeting missions to complex voice-over missions with many triggers and immersive sound effects.

It is also worth mentioning that you essentially have unlimited replay value when using the Create Fast Mission editor to gin up quick missions that are saturated with action. These can be a real melee and probably aren’t as useful to new users as more balanced, hand crafted missions provide better briefings and more obtainable goals.

Campaigns

The included Su-25T Georgian Oil War campaign is very nice, but does offer a pretty steep and brutal entry into single player campaign flying. The first mission will have you diving straight-in to a relatively high threat environment with AAA, SAMs, and even aircraft possibly shooting at you. In my opinion, the campaign is an intermediate to advanced level difficulty level. The missions are definitely achievable if you’ve cut your chops on the Training, Quick Missions, and Single Missions, but be prepared to face a stiff enemy.

Just as there are user created single player missions, there are also a few user created campaigns. I spent a couple weeks with some of these campaigns and I found their gameplay a bit more suited to the new user with a gradual ramping up of difficulty and nice entry scenarios, briefings, and back-stories that really helped build up the gameplay. One campaign, “Revenche”, which is a remake of an older Flaming Cliffs campaign, is particularly good with a very nice sequence of missions that has you fly into the theater, practice some bombing, then moves on to progressively harder missions. It is very well constructed. As well, another campaign, “Outremer”, has you assuming the role of a French Air Force pilot in a fun campaign with some interesting challenges. Both of these campaigns are well suited to a new DCS World pilot and perhaps add a bit more plot and drama than the more difficult default campaign. Total cost to you = $0.

It is also worth mentioning that there is a dynamic campaign for the Su-25T, “Operation Red Bear”, that has been created by Cristofer using MBot’s Dynamic Campaign Engine. I’ve only had a chance to dabble in it, so I can’t report back on just how it works, but it certainly has potential for some interesting gameplay. It is pretty nifty to see so many assets on the map at once, but take care to adjust your settings to assure smooth framerates. The dynamic campaign is probably near the more advanced end of the spectrum, so again, until a new user has some Su-25T time under their belt, it would be best to progress though the other single missions and campaigns to build up a base of knowledge.

Multi-Player

Rounding out the free content is online play with both the Su-25T and the TF-51D. It is definitely possible for a new user on a limited budget to play indefinitely using the Su-25T in a multiplayer environment. Many servers feature Su-25T slots for both Blue and Red teams, so there should be plenty of opportunity to ply your trade online. And the Su-25T is no slouch in the online environment - it is fast, carries an enormous payload, has legitimate anti-radar weapons, precision ordnance, and can even surprise an opponent with its air-to-air capability. True, with the free content you’ll be limited to the Caucasus region, but there seem to be plenty of servers offering up action in that region.

The Gateway Drug

So we’ve taken a quick look at all that the free to play DCS World has to offer the new user. Does it require some commitment of time and learning? Sure - but you can’t beat the price of $0 dollars. The obvious observation is that the Su-25T and TF-51D are the carrot that will hopefully lead new players further down the DCS World rabbit hole. The Su-25T does not have a clickable cockpit, whereas the TF-51D does. The strategy there is obvious: show them the technology and cool factor of the clickable cockpits, and the flash and bang of the combat capabilities with the other. And a combat sim pilot is born. Once the hook is set, ED would love for you to start exploring their payware content. This works good for ED, and works well for a community that should always be interested in drawing in new players, regardless of their experience level. When a new players gets the taste for DCS World, it should be a natural progression for them to want to explore something like the A-10C or try out a fully clickable helicopter.

The follow on question is - what should be next for the new user? That is definitely a wide open question with lots of community answers. One could argue that Flaming Cliffs 3 can offer the most bang for the buck, but then the new DCS user will miss out on the fun of learning a complex aircraft. A good value will always be the A-10C since it has an overwhelming amount of both free and payware content in the form of missions, campaigns, and multiplayer popularity. I’d also argue the L-39 is a great choice because it is a high fidelity simulation with clickable cockpits, weapons with some teeth, and fairly straightforward systems that would get a new player bogged down in the minutia of the A-10C CDU or the Ka-50 ABRIS. World War II fans will branch off in their own directions of course, as well as those with an interest in helicopter operations.

Modules often go on sale, so while extending the new user beyond the DCS World free content will ultimately cost money, it doesn’t necessarily have to break the bank. Given the freeware content that the new user can start with, and the weeks (if not months) of value-added gameplay that can be added with community created missions and campaigns, there is good reason to hope that the strategy of dangling the carrot in front of potential customers will work out for Eagle Dynamics.

The process of writing this article was quite revealing for me personally. While I’ve bought pretty much every DCS module (despite not having the time to play them all) I’ve also come to realize that you can have a ton of fun with even the most basic DCS modules. Approaching the article while viewing DCS World through the lens of a new user was also a useful to confirm my thoughts that DCS World is wide open to a range of user experience levels. The free content is very well done, the included training missions are superb, and the entire DCS World project is simply awesome in scale and scope. The first time a new user successfully brings an Su-33 aboard the Kuznetsov, or a pilot successfully hooks up to a tanker are moments that most of us veteran simmers can never recapture. Fortunately for us, the DCS juggernaut rolls on with third party content coming out at a pace that I can’t keep up with, and with the promise of platforms and content that we’ve been dreaming about. So in that respect, we are all finding constant opportunities for renewal. I look forward to plying the skies with new pilots that have spent $0 dollars and fly with an X-Box controller, and pilots that have sunk small fortunes into their module library and hardware. There is room enough for all of us up there.

Chris “BeachAV8R” Frishmuth

11 Likes

Nice article Chris. Over the past year I have certainly been hooked despite being almost exclusively an offline player. DCS World has taken up the vast majority of my VR time because it is so well implemented. And yes, ahem, I have invested a small fortune into my DCS Hangar (I have all the modules now)… :scream:

Really enjoyed this Chris. The 25T was the starting point for me to really learn an aircraft, much as ED intended. Before that I had just dabbled, take off, land, fly around, quit. But I really wanted to learn the Vikhr sequence and get proficient with it so I mugged and tied up my ADD and really worked at the T. I can’t say enough about Robert Sogomonian’s 10 part Youtube training series here -

Really a master class on how to do a multi-part video deep dive into a DCS subject.

I was wondering why we were seeing you in the T lately…

4 Likes

Nice article @BeachAV8R

A lot of new users come to DCS World from Steam, in that they’ll find their way into the ‘Simulation’ tag and it’ll crop up on their News feed. Because the base is free to play a few hit ‘Install’ with no idea what it was. I spent about 3 years helping out at the Steam DCS World forums and, apart from the occasional death threat :wink: it was actually really interesting to see how experienced gamers, but new flyers, got their first taste of a flight sim. The most common questions were usually something like:

• Do I need a joystick? This came up a lot. The best answer was either go for a cheap $20 stick or struggle on with a gamepad. I actually got pretty good on the Huey with an Xbox 360 controller, just to see what it would be like for a new user, and it is certainly possible. A lot of gamepad users don’t realize what people with ‘Halo thumbs’ can really do with one of those things. :slight_smile:

• Why does it cost so much? People would get confused that a single ‘module’ was pretty much an entire old fashioned flight sim game. Some would come by, add up the entire DLC collection and then say they didn’t have $1200 to try it, and were we insane to pay that? It was the one and last similar aspect that DCS World and the Train Sim forum forums would have to deal with.

• Why am I drifting left / Why do I crash going left / How do I win? The thing that was hard to get across with new DCS players was that it’s a multi-part series of steps, and if you don’t actually like the learning part then you’ll not going to have a good time. Learning to basically fly, then learning some systems and then getting good at the latter takes quite a while and it was hard to get across to people that it was the journey that was the fun rather than the destination. A lot of Steam games seemed easier than DCS World, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

Well, the issue with steam is everything is a game there, even the simulations. People see farm simulator and goat simulator and everything should just be easy. Even train sim isn’t “hard” once you learn the controls. Flying is can get easier, but it’s never simple, especially if you’re flying combat jets with a million switches. Same problem people have with X-plane because it doesn’t hold your hand.

1 Like

It should’ve been titled “Time Barriers to Entry??”. Anyone interested in combat flight sims and a lot of free time could have TONS of fun with DCS World for free! :+1:

I only wish DCS World existed when I had the time.

3 Likes

I’m similarly affected. I do hope to expand my multi-player participation this year.

Yeah - I still remember the first day I flew the Su-25T in Flaming Cliffs…the advanced flight model was so mind blowing. Feeling that thing sway and rock while taxiing - I knew that kind of physics was the future of flight simulation.

Hard to believe this was 12 years ago!

Wow…that’s a great library of information there!

:wink:

That’s really cool. It certainly is a fun thing to watch someone take up the hobby. I’ve had the opportunity to introduce some of my friends to PC simulations…some took to it and for some the spark never really ignited anything. I think simulations in general appeal to a certain type of mindset - one that enjoys procedures and generally following along in a series to make something happen.

No kidding. Remember back 30 years ago when many of us were playing sims with keypads? I mean, I flew Sublogic ATP and Commodore 64 Flight Simulator II exclusively with keyboard commands. I was so fast on that numpad…using the DEL key to switch between flight and view modes, the 1 and 7 for the trim. I should probably have square fingertips…!

Yeah - and I think sometimes for people starting out, there is a tendency to want to over-mod their games. Whether it is ARMA, FSX, or DCS…I’m always amazed when I read a brand new person posting: “I just bought this game…what mods should I get for it??” Yes, mods can improve the initial feel of a game right off the bat, but lots of times the Vanilla game is quite good as is and perhaps people should just go ahead and dive in and play instead of becoming collectors of files. Of course, once it becomes your hobby, then I look at modding as to be no different than birding or photography - it’s what we do. The point being, you can flight sim for really cheap these days. Vanilla FSX/SE is still a fantastic sim with so much content, and it is regularly $4.99 on Steam.

100% agree. I’m a windsurfer…been doing it for about 20 years or more…and those first few months of learning were brutal. I mean, each day I’d go out, stand up, fall down. Swim my gear around to the right position. Stand up, pull the sail up, fall down. For days and weeks on end. Then one day, I finally got hooked in to the boom and got my feet in the footstraps on a perfect day…and Zen moment… I think flight sims can be the same way, and combat sims in particular. I’m a horrible online pilot and get shot down all the time. I mean, when I actually score an A2A kill, it is like a week-long celebration at my house. I’ve accepted that I’m horrible at it…but it is no less fun. But if you have an ego that gets bruised easily, it is easy to see how people get shot down a few times, grumble about how unrealistic it is, and quit to go play something else.

I agree. It has been fun to see some creative mission designers actually throw in some challenges that not related to killing swarms of bad guys. I think one of the first missions that really intrigued me was one called “Fletcher’s Hideout” (unfortunately, I can’t seem to locate it anywhere online) for the Ka-50. It was a multi-phase mission and part of it took place at very high altitude, where you were struggling with anti-ice and power available while engaging some targets…and it was just a masterpiece of tough flying and an intriguing mission design. To your point - the basics of flying are pretty easy, but there are lots of situations where it gets complicated. I really enjoy DCS missions (and FSX/X-Plane missions) that are challenging and make you think.

Yeah…time barriers abound here. I think I posted this several months ago - and it still holds true - I bought the Mirage last year and I still haven’t flown it other than maybe one takeoff. I just haven’t had a moment. Pretty much the same goes for the Gazelle - just haven’t had enough time to explore it.

I know right? When I was single, with no kids, there was a ton of time available. Of course, I was playing DCS back then under other names (LOMAC and Flaming Cliffs). And I was investing a lot time in sims like Jane’s F-15, F-18, Longbow 2, and EECH. Might be time for a “Blast from the Past” article!

1 Like

You can always have a good time with DCS. One doesnt have to go straight into the ‘deep waters’.

We usually forget that DCS has also the GAME mode. So the experience / learning curve are scalable.

None of them had flyable MiG-21 :wink:

1 Like

Hey, a very good article! I started with A-10 and never spent time with any of the free modules, but I agree that there is a lot of things to do and discover with no costs incurred. Having said that if you do start with any of the two, sooner or later you will be tempted to try another module. There is no escape… :slight_smile: