Elite: Dangerous - updates!

Funnily enough there’s plenty SAlt to be mined on the forums now.
The usual suspects keep on sweating hard and claiming “This KILLS Piracy!” but at the same time “This changes nothing!” and even better “You’ll see! This is better for us Gankers! New tools to exploit!”.

You really have to wonder what are they thinking.

That hopefully this will give them the validation they’re so desperately craving. This was brought on because mommy and daddy didn’t love them enough, and the people they had unrequited crushes on not returning their feelings, despite being "nice guys/girls"™, and in addition they’re often leading dead-end lives of their own making with no clear way up or out, except for the staircase out of their parents’ basement, so now they’re just full of unfocused frustration that they take out on everybody else they can, because online they don’t have to face consequences for their actions, and they can try and make everybody they encounter as angry and frustrated as they are, because this is the only way they know how to deal with emotions and feelings, due to underdeveloped frontal lobes and social skills, and because they’ve never been forced to deal with reality in any substantial measure. So instead of taking responsibility for their own lives or actions, it’s easier to just pick on other people anonymously from the safety of their computer screens.

Not that I’ve ever given this any thought or anything.

I swear to gods, I was thinking exactly this sentence (albeit in Italian) when I was going through your post! :smiley:

1 Like

Each to their own i guess.

In all the years i have played, i have only been interdicted once by a human. I was destroyed, but that was my choice. I was offered to be let free if i dropped a percentage of my cargo. I decided to role play, kept radio silence and tried to escape. I must have been offered my life at least 3 times whilst running before they gunned me. But i like role play.

But i asked for it. It was doing community goals and not taking precautions.

I have to say, from my perspective, i can’t see why people fear open play. Ok sure you will greatly increase you chances of seeing another commander in the same instance if you only do community goals and stay in starter systems. But it only takes a small amount of jumps to have human encounters a rarity. Then the percentage of those encounters who are actually pirates are a small percentage f a small percentage.

I feel lucky if i briefly see anther commander where i am.

Don’t be afraid of open play, it actually adds more fun… but thats me.

2 Likes

This is the problem right here. Frontier is obviously putting more effort into these community goals in an effort to increase player interactions, and they can be an absolute blast, especially if you’re encountering humans in game in a collaborative effort. But the griefers who are killing anybody in a CG system on sight, blocking and ramming at stations, and otherwise trying to keep anybody else from having any other kinds of fun, especially under the very thin guise of “role playing” are just ruining it for most players and are making it harder for Frontier to get people excited to partake in these missions.

The Pleiades station rescue missions were a lot of fun, especially seeing other commanders queing up and taking turns running into the burning stations. While I didn’t encounter any griefers or trolls when I was taking part, I know that they were there, and others ran into them and consequently ran to solo as a result. Kinda kills the experience and immersion.

1 Like

But does it really ruin immersion? Griefers don’t. I certainly don’t go walking around Brixton london in a suit with pockets bulging with cash late at night. (actually i did once drunk as a skunk until a taxi picked me up and said i shouldn’t be here, but thats another story.)

Thing is, if there is a big school of fish swimming about, sharks will always come. That adds immersion.

What breaks immersion is the player who can’t handle being destroyed (which is part of this game) and either combat logs or switches to solo play to avoid griefers. Its not griefers ruining immersion, its the players who can’t handle it that ruin immersion.

Community goals mean running the gauntlet of sharks. That is part of the game and is to be expected. It adds gameplay. Communicate to other captains and run as a huge group or try to outsmart the sharks by running stealth. Again it adds gameplay.

I don’t do many community goals for a couple of reasons.

1. I can make so much more money for the time investment doing other stuff.
  2. The stories behind community goals aren’t very interesting to me.

However, and as per my previous post, using the instance where i was interdicted and killed for many millions in losses. Did i quit? No, i loaded up again and ran several more missions to tackle the challenge of the prates.

It added flavour to the game. The communications i had with pirates was a huuuuge addition to immersion.

Pirates don’t bother me. Why?

1. i make sure i have loads of insurance if i do these things
  2. my character never suffers (like loss of skills or xp on death)
  3. pirates creates the “what if scenario” that adds fun and immersion.

All i am saying is. If community goals were meant to be pirate free. E.D. would ensure adequate police presence. Therefore E.D. intend pirates, griefers, rammers to be at these scenarios and its up to you the player to accept the challenge and overcome it if you wish it.

I don’t understand why people get upset about intended gameplay and immersion killing aspects, when its your choice to engage in something that has a high chance of occurance. Also cant understand people talking about immersion breaking things if they combat log or play solo to avoid certain occurrences.

But i am Australian so my perceptions may be squiffy.

4 Likes

My main dislike with Elite PvP encounters in general is that they are not skill based.

1 Like

I’m watching the latest live Stream and there’s some amazing news!

Among the big things, there are the small beautiful gifts, like choosing what the station will call you:
-Callsign
-Ship Name
-Commander name.

I’m giggling like a girl that just got her prom date! :smiley:

Apparently there’s HUD color too.

Oh, and actually a Radio voice reading the Galnet News! :smiley:
I, am, SO, happy…

1 Like

Huh… that wasnt in the summary! guess ill have to watch it too now.

On the one hand I find these improvements very exciting and they make me want get back into the game.
On the other hand they make me want to wait until the update hits live and not waste time in this current “inferior” version.
On the gripping hand I dont have any time to waste anyways, kids’ wailin’ again.

1 Like

Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (23.01.2018) - Part 3 Recap

Hi commanders,

If you missed tonight’s content reveal livestream or just wanted a recap of all the content discussed, read the notes below from Sandro Sammarco, Lead Designer, and Steve Kirby, Principal Designer:

Engineering Improvements

Engineering is gaining a significant update in Beyond Chapter One, focused on a single principle: the process should always result in a sense of progressive improvement.

In this updated system, you progress a module’s capabilities through a series of modification grades, with every upgrade you craft working towards an improvement. Any penalties are static and visible upfront.

Experimental effects are no longer randomly applied but can be purchased by spending materials, putting the choice fully in your hands.

Together with remote engineering from any Starport that has outfitting, a new material trader contact, (100) per-material storage facilities and additional target information for materials, there’s never been a better time to upgrade your favourite ship!

Materials Trader

Added a new contact called a Materials Trader to give players the ability to hand in materials in exchange for others at set exchange rates based on grade and material type.

This will allow players to trade for rarer items or items obtained by gameplay they do not want to take part in (E.G. killing trade ships) as well as converting stockpiles of unwanted materials to ones that the player needs.

This is not intended to replace material gathering completely, but be a useful tool to help shorten the gameplay loops around gathering materials, making engineering and unlocking items at the tech broker more accessible.

• Horizons is required to use Material traders.

• Allow players to trader one material of another in a single trade.

• Only one trade at a time can be completed.
    - Material traders operate on a true barter system. There are no credits involved.
    - Traders are split into types – Raw, Manufactured and Encoded.
    - Each trader type only trades in their type of materials and can be found in different economy types. Locations material traders can be found are:
    - Raw Materials Trader - Found at extraction and refinery economies, only trades in raw material found on planet surfaces and planetary rings.
    - Manufactured Materials Trader - Found at industrial economies, only trades in manufactured materials.
    - Encoded Materials Trader - Found at High Tech and Military economies, only trades in encoded materials.

• Systems also need to be mid to high security systems and have populations between 1,000,000 and 22,000,000.
  • Materials Trades will not show up in lawless and anarchy systems.
    - Materials Traders will not show up at stations that are currently controlled by a criminal faction.

• Materials Traders will be unavailable when a station is damaged, under repair or put on lockdown.

• Material traders can be found using the new By Service map view configuration option. This has a 40ly range and only shows traders that you have discovered.

• Material traders will also be shown on the system map in the station services list.

• Material traders will appear in the Human Bubble, Colonia and Pleiades regions at economies types listed above.

Galnet Audio

At the simple click of a button, you’ll now be able to listen to GalNet audio whilst flying your ship.

All you have to do is select the play button at the bottom of the right-hand system panel in your cockpit to play through the headline news stories.
If you’re looking for a specific story, or you want to curate your own playlist of handpicked news, you can do so by opening up GalNet news from the same panel and select the stories individually.

GalNet news will fade in and out depending on the situation, and stop altogether in some key situations. In some cases, such as counting down to hyperspace jumps, the news will pause and then resume once the countdown is complete. The story, or playlist, will continue from where you left off.

COVAS Customisation

Changing your COVAS is a new addition to Elite Dangerous and the first of these will be Victor, ready at the launch of Chapter One of Beyond. Commanders will be able to change their COVAS at the Starport Services livery customisation section.

It’ll be possible to also change the COVAS for your SRV too, you’ll need to head over to the SRV customisation bay to change your preference.

And… if you miss Verity, you’ll be able to change the COVAS back.

Frontier is working in partnership with HCS to bring you new COVAS packs in the future. These voices are intended to bring a new flavour to commanders out in the black, however, it’s important to note at the current time we do not intend to introduce celebrity voice packs.

1 Like

Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (18.01.2018) - Part 2 Recap

Hi commanders,

If you missed tonight’s content reveal livestream or just wanted a recap of all the content discussed, read the notes below from designers Steve Kirby, Sandro Sammarco and Game Director Laurence Oldham.

Remember that all of these changes will be featured in the beta and could be subject to change.

PLANETARY IMPROVEMENTS

We have overhauled the surface material system for the rocky, high metal content and metal rich planets. We have pushed the system to get a lot more out of it, but this is just the first step towards further major planetary system improvements. The contrast and variation across and between bodies is much improved.

We also hope that these planetary visual improvements (with more surface level improvements coming later in the year) will also bring a new vibrancy to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, encouraging wanderlust explorers to discover far systems and planets.

The colouration of the surfaces now more clearly telegraphs the chemical makeup and volcanic activity of the worlds. In addition, binary rocky/metallic planets more accurately simulate having similar colourations from shared formation materials where appropriate.

We have a range of colourations for:

Rocky          -          High Metal          -  Metal Rich
No Volcanism 	         No Volcanism       	No Volcanism
Low Volcanism   	Low Volcanism 	        Low Volcanism
Mid to High Volcanism 	Mid to High Volcanism 	Mid to High Volcanism

See the visual improvements for yourself here:

THE CHIEFTAIN - [LLMSSS]

The Alliance Chieftain is a medium-sized ship that has been designed not only to dish out punishment, but to avoid it. Manufactured by Lakon Spaceways, the Chieftain is more manoeuvrable than ships of similar size and weight, and its combat profile means it can more than hold its own in a fight. The ship also boasts three internal military compartments, allowing the pilot to equip a shield cell bank, hull reinforcements and module reinforcements.

Important note: as there are no Alliance ranks, you will not need a specific rank to unlock this ship.

Get a closer look at the Chieftain and see it in action on the stream here:

Brief Chieftain outfitting can be seen here:

TECH BROKER

Technology Brokers are dealers in new and rare technologies and items. These contacts appear in various stations across known human space and can generally be found in highly populated systems with a high security level. Visit tech brokers to see what items they currently have available and complete set requests to unlock these items by handing in the required commodities and materials. The addition of Technology Brokers allows pilots to acquire new items based on their personal narrative giving even more ways to play elite your way.

For more details about the new Tech Broker, check here:

TRADE DATA CHANGES

We are making changes to the commodities markets and the galaxy map to allow players to find profitable trades more easily in-game.

In the game at the moment, by default the galactic average column shows the average price of the commodity or rough profits from various stations where you have purchased the trade data from.

How trade data works in Beyond Chapter One:

Commanders will be able to select the trade data column header to enter the trade data overlay.
From there, you can select specific markets by typing in the system name or finding the system using the galaxy map.

Important note: only systems you have docked in or scanned the ‘Nav Beacon’ at will display a result when entered, so the more systems you visit in the greater the amount of trade data you will have to use when looking for a potential profit.

• Once a system is selected, as long as you have the trade data, a tab will appear.
  • Using this you can select which market in the system you want to display the trade data for.
  • You can now select whether you want to show export profits (the money you would make when exporting to the system) or input profits (the money you would make from importing goods from the system to your current market).
  • Once the parameters have been chosen, you can hit the OK button to display the data for the selected market on the commodity market screen allowing you to see what profits you could make on any commodities.

Important note: profit given is accurate at the time of being displayed and can fluctuate when travelling to the chosen market.

The commodities market interface has also had a makeover with more information about potential markets displayed in the right hand panel. Supply and demand is now shown as pips instead of high (now 3 pips), medium (now 2 pips) and low (now 1 pip).

When you select a commodity, a confirmation overlay will open, allowing you to select how many of the item you want to buy or sell and then you’ll be able to confirm the trade

Using the galaxy map for trade data:

You can use the same interface to access and use the galaxy map to select a target market. This is also available straight from the galaxy map tab in the left cockpit panel.

With the galaxy map open you can use some new configuration options to display trade data, find trades and select a market to compare with your current location.

• New options are stored in the Map option under ‘Map View Configuration.’
  • There is a new entry in this drop down called ‘By Commodity’.
  • This will open up the new commodity search options
  • You will be able to select the commodity type and commodity that you are interested in.
  • If you already have a commodity in your ships inventory it will be highlighted with an icon, allowing you to see at a glance what you have onboard.
  • With a commodity chosen the galaxy map will display trade heat map icons within a 40 light year radius of your current position to indicate star systems that import or export that commodity.

Important note: you can search for and look at trade data for systems further than 40ly, it’s just that the heat map has a set range so the icons will only show up within that range of your current location.

A Blue Diamond is a system that imports the item and Green Triangle is a system that exports the item.

Under the commodity selection on the left hand panel are also three new filters allowing you to set the icons to show:

• Best import and export prices
  • Import prices only
  • Export prices only

With the By Commodity map mode selected, you can move your cursor over a system and select it.

As mentioned before, if you have previously docked in the system or scanned the ‘Nav Beacon’ there then an expanded overlay will display trade data. But for systems that you have not visited, a message will be displayed telling you that the system’s data is unavailable and how you can unlock it.

When you select a system, you will be able to scroll through each market in the system and see the per unit price of your chosen commodity on the system selection overlay. This will allow you to quickly work out the best locations to trade at (based on price).

Below ‘import/export price’ there is a new selection of filters. Using these filters you can find the best location with the best price to suit your ship and cargo.

These filters are as are:

• Landing pad size – This allows you to see what landing pad sizes are available at the Starport.
  • Planetary Market - This allows you to show or hide markets that are on a planets
  • Distance from star – This allows you to filter between market a short, medium or long range from the main system star.

We have also added another new button on the system selection overlay: mark market for comparison. This allows you to show the trade data from your selected commodity market to the commodity market at your current location (instead of displaying the galactic average.)

Trending trade route data

We have also updated the trade data routes in the galaxy map to now show trending trade routes used by commanders and commercial pilots. Using these filters can, alongside the various commodity filters, help commanders get a clear view of who is trading what and where in the systems near to you.

Ultimately, we hope these new tools will make it easier for players to find the best trades, while also encourage them to explore and visit multiple systems to unlock new markets and potential profits.

For a full recap on trade data changes, watch the stream here:

MEGASHIP INTERACTIONS

Another change coming to this chapter of Beyond is the additional gameplay interactions that will be available at the various megaships found across the galaxy. As well as the simple data links and NPC ship scenarios we have added a new flow for scanning these and (in later Beyond updates) other large space objects.

Initiating Interactions:

• Megaships will now need to be scanned with the data scanner before any of the interaction objects become interactive.
  • Doing so will release a scan pulse which highlights all interaction objects attached to the ship.
  • Interaction objects are added to the ships contacts panel and can now be targeted and interrogated to discover how to interact with them.
  • Some of interactions will utilise limpets of various types to allow you to activate, deactivate, damage, hack or simply operate an item. While others can be shot or scanned to interact.

One thing to note is that all current interactions are considered illegal, tying in with the changes to Crime and Punishment. These interactions provide criminal pilots new gameplay options as well as giving lawful players new locations to find wanted pilots.

In addition to the aforementioned interactions, we have tweaked the scenarios around the megaships to include a greater variety of criminal and lawful pilots, as well as crime responders such as police ships which we feel will add a bit more spice to these locations.

We have plans to add other interaction types and locations in later updates, so there will be more to come in this area.

For a recap on megaship interactions, check the stream here:

KOMEMIUTE’s EDIT: I know it looks like all the videos are the same, each has a different starting time-stamp.
Trust me. :blush:

1 Like

Hey @komemiute thanks for gathering these and keeping us updated. I haven’t had time lately to chase this info but I am very interested in the changes, so thanks for curating it!

1 Like

I think most of what they are introducing is positive.

And I do totally understand the math and perspectives complaining that Engineering is more grindy. But I still think that it’ll be far more approachable, and result in better use of time and on-hand Materials toward ship tweaks. At least for how I play. I’m eager to test in the Beta.

2 Likes

1 Like

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta FAQ
Hello everyone!

Here’s a quick list of the most frequently asked questions about the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta.

1. How do I download the beta?
    The beta can be downloaded in one of two ways. Either via the game launcher as usual or for the first time ever, via Steam! When the beta goes live on January 25, 2018, please follow the instructions below to install the beta via Steam.
    Spoiler - Click to Hide

If you have Elite Dangerous in your Steam Library, you will be able to participate in the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta using the Steam client. If you purchased the game from the Frontier Store and would like to add it to your Steam library, please follow the instructions in this support article.

To opt into the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta on Steam:

1. Open the Steam client and navigate to your Library.
  2. Right-click on Elite Dangerous and select Properties.
  3. Click on the BETAS tab.
  4. Select “Beta” through the drop-down box.
  5. You will be prompted to restart your client. After restarting, launch Elite Dangerous to access Beyond - Chapter One Beta.
  6. Select the beta from the launcher as usual.

Please note that once the beta build goes live, you may not see the “Beta” option immediately in the Steam client as the build may take some time to propagate. In this case, please restart your Steam client and try again in a few minutes.

1. Who is eligible to take part in the beta?
    Every PC/Mac player is eligible to take part in the beta. This includes both players who own the Horizons Season Pass and those who do not. Not every part of the beta (and full update) will be available to those without the Season Pass.

2. How much does the beta cost?
    The Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One beta is free of charge.

3. Can consoles take part in the beta?
    Unfortunately, we are currently unable to provide Elite Dangerous betas on consoles.

4. When will console players get to experience Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One?
    Console players will be able to experience the full Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One update at the same time as the PC players. Currently, we do not have a date available for the full update, but you’ll be able to find out about it here on the forums or on our social channels when it’s announced!

5. When will the beta go live on Thursday 25, 2018?
    We don’t have a set time for the beta to go live at this time, but we will keep you up to date via our social channels throughout the day

6. Should I take the day off to play the beta?
    We wouldn’t advise taking time off to play the beta first thing tomorrow, as we don’t have an exact time that this will go live!

7. How do I report bugs that I’ve found in the beta?
    A beta-specific bug forum will be opened on our forums tomorrow, 25 January 2018.

8. Do I have to start from the beginning of the game during the beta?
    No. Your main game saves will have been duplicated within the last few weeks and applied to the beta server. This means you’ll be able to play through the beta with most of your current game progress intact.

9. Does my progress during the beta carry over to the main game?
    No. Everything you do in the beta will be wiped when the update goes live for the main game, and no progress will be carried across.

10. What content is in the beta?
    You can find our beta Livestream recaps here to find out what content will be available in the beta!

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding the beta!

Social channels to follow:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous
Facebook - Elite Dangerous
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/elitedangerous

1 Like

BETA TOMORROW

2 Likes

So basically I should continue to wait on engineering my ships. Got it.

1 Like

3.0 Open Beta - Patch Notes

Greetings commanders!

Today we’re excited to launch the Elite Dangerous 3.0 beta. We will let you know the approximate time it will go live as soon as possible.

If you have not had a chance to read our 3.0 Open Beta FAQ, please do so by clicking here.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/401470-Elite-Dangerous-Beyond-Chapter-One-Beta-FAQ

We will be adding notes to the beta test forums soon, with specific instructions on what would help us testing. Your continued support, feedback and testing is absolutely invaluable - thanks for getting involved! We’ll post the link in here, too.

Below are the patch notes for Elite Dangerous 3.0 Open Beta.

New features for 3.0

Crime

• Crime & Counter Crime system overhaul, including Advance Tactical Response (ATR)
    - When the player is destroyed they are not necessarily returned to the last port they docked at, based on a prioritised list of rules
    - If players are destroyed when a fine/bounty has been detected they will respawn at a detention centre
  • Players that join a Multi-crew session in someone else’s ship, and commit a crime, have a corresponding fine/bounty added to their own most valuable ship
  • Players can store hot modules (modules applied to a ship at the time a crime is committed)
  • Players can clean ships (and any hot modules applied at the time) through an Interstellar Factor contact by paying the bounty/fine
  • Players can sell hot ships from the shipyard for a markdown
  • Access to port services including ship transferring/storage/retrieval/selling are limited if the player docks in a ‘wanted’ ship (bounties and fines) applicable in that jurisdiction, and where transfer is possible, the cost is - Power bounties are issued instead of normal bounties for criminal acts to do with valid Powerplay interactions
  • Players can see details on fines and bounties in the wanted ships cockpit, the shipyard and the ship transfer screens
  • New crime recognised: “reckless weapons discharge”
  • Bounties and fines incurred by players are applied to the ship that the crime was committed in and never go dormant
  • Interstellar bounties are created when the combined fines and bounties for factions aligned with the same superpower breach a threshold

Missions

• Added new Wing Missions that can be shared across a Wing and completed as a group
  • Mission Depot added where players can accept an applicable mission and deliver the target commodity piece by piece to complete the mission
  • Mission reward choice
  • New USS scenarios added

Ships

• Added new alien attack craft
  • Added the Chieftain. More maneuverable than ships of similar size and weight, the Alliance Chieftain from Lakon Spaceways has been designed not only to dish out punishment, but to avoid it. - Horizons only
  • Added second seat to the Keelback to support Multicrew

Trade Data & Galaxy Map

• Galaxy map now indicates its mode when any tab is active
  • Galaxy Map: Filter by station services
  • Galaxy Map: Filters added for Thargoid & Guardian sites
  • More player factions have had a description added in their home system on the galaxy map
  • Filter for the new ‘detention centre’ government type (for new detention centre spawning areas)
  • Galaxy Map: Players can view trade data that they own, by commodity, represented on the galaxy map by colour coded icons
  • Galaxy Map: Players can view trending trade routes, and filter by AI or Human players
  • Galaxy Map: Players can view import and export prices, in a roll out screen, including the ability to select different markets and filter
  • Commodity Market: Players can search trade data they own, to compare it to the current market

Engineers

• Material Trader contacts, which allow the player to convert materials - Horizons only
  • Engineering a module or weapon results in progressively better improvements within a range
  • Players can convert and modify their older modules/weapons engineered before this update
  • Players can modify modules/weapons at selected ports (ports with access to outfitting) outside Engineer ports
  • Players can select which experimental effect they want to apply to their module, at a material cost
  • Players are presented with a screen where they can choose the module/weapon to modify, the Blueprint to apply or pin, see the material cost, and preview the outcome

Weapons and modules

• Added Technology Broker contacts, which allows the player to unlock new weapons and modules in return for specific materials and commodities - Horizons only
  • Medium Shock Cannon (Fixed, gimbal & turret)
  • Medium Remote Flechette Launcher (Fixed & Turret)
  • Medium Enzyme Missile (Fixed)
  • Size 4 Meta Alloy Hull Reinforcement Package
  • Recon Limpet Controller

Galnet Audio

• Players can now listen to the news in their own language while they play!
  • News headlines can be accessed via the status menu
  • Galnet can now be accessed via the status menu and articles with audio can be played or queued into a playlist
  • Galnet Audio playback options added to controller bindings
  • Galnet Audio section added to audio options

Installation and Megaship Interactions

• Data link scanner upgraded to allow scanning megaships and installations to reveal targets the player can interact with
  • Players can scan certain revealed targets to uncover sub-targets. These can be interacted with in different ways depending on the type
  • Players can damage generators to disable turrets
  • Players can use recon limpets to activate data terminals and comms arrays
  • Players can use hatchbreaker limpets to open a cargo bay

Surface material system

• Overhauled the surface material system for the rocky, high metal content and metal rich planets
  • Improved contrast and colour variation across and between bodies
  • The colouration of the surfaces now more clearly telegraphs the chemical make up and volcanic activity of the worlds

Quality of Life

• Added synthesis for new Technology Broker modules and weapons
  • Added synthesis for AX weapons
  • New cockpit voice assistant - Victor added as an alternative to Verity
  • Increased manoeuvrability benefits when boosting based on the ENG pips
  • Option added so players can choose how flight controllers address them (Commander Name, Ship Name or Ship ID) when approaching a station
  • ’Target Ignore’ feature added for material and commodity collectables and refining
  • Ability to see at a glance the quality and inventory quantity of materials targeted
  • Per material storage caps
  • Increased rewards at Search and Rescue contact
  • New High Value supercruise targets for pirates to raid

Misc Features

• Large number of Commander Journal updates

Consoles

• Portuguese language support added for consoles (I was honestly hoping for Italian *said Komemiute Not for me but for a lot of cough lazy cough friends who can’t be bothered to lear a bit of English)
  • 11 new Achievements for XB1 worth 200G

Bug fixes and Improvements

• This update includes well over 1000 fixes for various issues that have been discovered and investigated during the development process.

• For the sake of clarity, we have primarily listed below fixes for issues that have been reported to us by the community or other important changes.

Audio

• Fixed some audio issues with the Federal Gunship
  • Fixed some audio distortion that could occur when passing through a Starport’s airlock
  • Fixed issue where Elite NPC crew members would use voice responses meant for Elite targets with targets of all ranks

Camera Suite

• Removed a dark background that would appear when opening the main menu while in the Camera Suite

Controls

• Fixed issue of more recent PS4 controllers not being recognised as such when used on PC
  • Fixed some instances of changes to keybindings not being saved after restarting the game
  • Fixed a throttle issue that occurred when using the Camera Suite

Engineers

• Fixed an issue where engineer bases would not always occupy the top position of your Contacts Panel by default

Fighters/Crew

• Fixed an issue where hired crew could crash their ships when recalled at crater settlement

Galaxy Map/System Map

• Fixed some inconsistent system data for Pekoe
  • Fixed the missing ‘State’ field for systems with damaged stations
  • Fixed the argument of periapsis appearing incorrectly on the System Map
  • Fixed two systems with duplicate names
  • Fixed visual issue with planets that could occur after selling restored exploration data
  • The Galaxy Map can now be freely spun with the mouse in both directions, instead of just to the right
  • Fixed some texture pop for the stars on the System Map
  • Fixed inconsistencies between the jump range calculated by the hyperdrive and what’s used in outfitting/galaxy map. Should no longer be cases where the route plotter avoids jumps just on the edge of your range that you could technically make

General Fixes & Tweaks

• Various text tweaks
  • Fixed a texture issue in the Teqia QI-T E3-3167 nebula
  • Fixed a tiling issue with high resolution screenshots
  • Fixed Onionhead decals that were appearing white
  • Fixed an issue where incoming calls still came through when voice channels were set to ‘off’
  • Fixed cases where hyperspacing to a system where the most massive star is part of a close binary would result in incorrect arrival positions
  • Commander stats: Highest Single Reward now updates based upon the greatest total bounty per ship destroyed after this release

Holo-Me Creator

• Fixed Holo-Me creator always saying ‘Mixed Eyes’ even when they match
  • Adjusted the height of the wraparound visor eyewear
  • Fixed an issue where ‘Asymmetry 01’ was set by default even when ‘None Selected’ was set

Hyperspace/Supercruise

• Addressed issue of jumping to a binary star system and dropping too far away from the main star

Installations/POIs/USSs

• Patched a hole in the geometry of the Shrogea MH-V e2-1763 Tourist Installation
  • Moved some shipping containers at the Torno 3 Maclaurin Reach surface base to prevent SRVs from becoming stuck
  • Fixed players sometimes not receiving Engineering data from scanning data points
  • Fixed instances of capital ships being aligned to the wrong side of Conflict Zones
  • Fixed a missing Uplink at Dav’s Hope
  • Fixed some floating buildings at Conflux Settlements
  • Added docked capital ship to the Carthage system
  • Made some adjustments to the drop out distance to prevent players from dropping out of Supercruise inside the structure of a Megaship
  • Grounded a floating communications antenna at Dixon Dock

Launcher - PC Only

• Fixed an issue where the launcher would not minimise when clicking the taskbar icon

Missions

• Passengers will no longer request to visit damaged stations
  • Fixed an issue that could lead to single planetary scan missions not completing correctly
  • Fixed some massacre mission distribution issues
  • Fixed some systems only spawning VIP passenger missions
  • Fixed issue where only one ship in a wing would count towards pirate kill missions
  • Fixed an issue whereby duplicate named mission targets could spawn during missions

NPCs

• Addressed reports of reckless flying by NPCs around Stations
  • Addressed an issue where Pirate NPCs would attack the player when in the same instance as a Thargoid
  • Dropping mines inside stations no longer confuses the station’s turrets
  • Fixed issue where Pirate NPCs could demand more cargo than you are able to drop
  • Fixed Black Flight ships being incorrectly flagged as allied with Aegis Research
  • Fixed the Beckett Class Science Vessel being incorrectly named when targeted
  • Addressed mission target NPCs sometimes dropping out of Supercruise too close to stars
  • Fixed issue where a Search and Rescue ship would continue to repair a distress call victim even after they are fully repaired
  • Addressed NPC crew members responding with an affirmative to an order when their thrusters have been destroyed

Render

• Fixed an issue whereby a station’s interior could appear at a low LOD when in a Wing
  • Improved shadows on planet surfaces for some setting configurations
  • Fixed a LOD popping issue on Asteroid Base landing pads
  • Thargoid Probe shutdown now correctly removes the HUD, rather than turning it black after entering the Camera Suite during a shutdown
  • Reduced texture generation time for non-landable planets on consoles Consoles only
  • Fixed an issue where the ship’s hull could render over weapons (Type 7 and Type 9)
  • Prevent crashes when unable to immediately create planet ring texture
  • Video memory savings in the handling of the background
  • CPU optimisations in the Galaxy Map
  • Reduce cases of texture mip level drops on PS4 PS4
  • Fix cases of nebulae missing from background
  • Adjusted the starlight colour effect on planetary bodies
  • Fix for some settlements not being correctly aligned to terrain
  • Fix for fog not picking up the star light colour in some cases
  • Supercruise motion lines are now frame-rate independent
  • Prevent the fluorescent blue line appearing when in headlook mode and exiting the camera suite
  • Tweak dust, tyre track and rock colour calculations to better match the surface
  • Fix galaxy map icons flickering into and out of existence
  • Non-volumetric light cones now fade in instead of clipping
  • Prevent some gas giants from blooming out due to dividing their colour by 0

Consoles

• Scale the loading squares for 4K so that they’re not tiny - XB1X
  • Fixed an issue where the game would revert back to 4K mode instead of 1080p after a few days (XB1) - XB1X only
  • Fixed an issue where the pre-order gold Sidewinder paintjob would go missing (PS4)
  • Earth now has better defined land masses as on other platforms (PS4)
  • Menu audio no longer continues to play when viewing Training Videos (PS4)
  • Fixed an issue where you’re unable to reply to messages from friends due to them appearing offline erroneously (PS4)
  • Fixed descriptions for various Trophies in languages other than English (PS4)
  • Various audio fixes to help reduce “pops & crackles” (PS4)

Ships

General Ship Fixes and Improvements

• Fixed an issue where the Festive String Lights could disappear when swapping vehicles until your next jump
  • Fixed ship paint work always showing as scratched even when at 100%
  • Thargoid EMPs no longer scrub your ship’s Nameplate and ID from your hull
  • Fixed some laser aim jittering that was occurring when switching between a Ship Launched Fighter and your Mothership
  • Fixed utility mounts disappearing while in Hyperspace
  • Corrected spelling of DeLacy in several ship cockpit textures

Anaconda

• Fixed some clipping on the Raider Ship Kit
  • Fixed the ship not rolling correctly on its centre of mass axis
  • Fixed the engine trails rendering incorrectly

Asp Explorer

• Fixed the bumper Ship Kit covering the Ship ID
  • Fixed an alignment issue with the Ship ID
  • Fixed an issue with the front decal disappearing and reappearing when dropping from Orbital Cruise

Cobra MkIII

• Fixed an animation issue with the landing gear

Diamondback Explorer

• Patched a hole in the geometry
  • Fixed a texture LOD popping issue

Federal Gunship

• Fixed an issue with the heat coils being inverted

Imperial Courier

• Fixed the facing of a decal

Imperial Clipper

• Fixed the XB1 controller vibration not working - XB1 only

Imperial Cutter

• Adjusted some of the outfitting cameras
  • Fixed a missing texture under the landing ramp

Lakon Type 7

• Fixed some inverted decals
  • Fixed the incorrect orientation of the Camera Suite external angles

Lakon Type 9

• Fixed a cockpit texture issue

Lakon Type 10 Defender

• Fixed an issue where certain hardpoints were not firing correctly
  • Fixed a cockpit texture issue
  • Adjusted the camera angle for the 6th utility mount when in Outfitting
  • Increased the power distributor slot to size 7 <— This is BIG guys! said Komemiute

Orca

• Fixed some LOD issues with the Pathfinder Paintjob

Python

• Fixed a section of the Tail Kit 4 that could not be recoloured
  • Raised the position of the fuel scoop message as it was appearing too low

SRV

• Fixed an issue whereby your ship could take off while deploying your SRV, causing it to possibly take damage
  • Fixed an issue where SRV cargo was retained when the SRV was destroyed
  • Fixed issue whereby your ship could be dismissed while deploying the SRV, causing the turret not to deploy correctly
  • Fixed SRV handling inconsistencies while airborne at some framerates
  • Fixed issue whereby a player driving an SRV would receive a bounty for returning fire on a hostile NPC ship
  • Fixed an issue with the fuel gauge displaying an incorrect value

Stability Fixes

• Fixed an issue that prevented players who logged out near ‘Downed Civilian Ships’ in the California Nebula from logging back in
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when switching back to your ship from a Ship Launched Fighter
  • Various crash fixes for all platforms
  • Fixed a common connection error that could occur
  • Prevent crash at planetary bases that could occur from rapidly loading in and exiting to main menu repeatedly

Station Services

• Fixed an issue where the Restock All menu could get stuck loading
  • Fixed an issue whereby modules were not being correctly categorised in the Stored Ships panel of the Shipyard

Stations/Ports

• Various fixes and optimised for stations and outposts

UI

• Engineering effects on Modules can now been seen in the modules tab
  • Fixed an issue with bracketed Commander names not displaying as intended
  • Insurance screen ‘Rebuy All’ toggle has been changed to ‘Select All’ for clarity
  • Fixed incorrect ‘Killed By’ message that appeared when a player destroyed your Ship Launched Fighter in PvP
  • Fixed an incorrect thumbnail displaying in the Role panel
  • ‘Total Hyperspace Distance’ and ‘Maximum Distance from Start’ stats on the Stats Panel now display as whole numbers
  • Corrected some display errors on the Insurance Screen
  • Fixed issue where some Blueprints mod descriptions were not matching the results
  • Fixed some text layout issues for Inbox, mission text and Info tab of the Multi-Crew sub menu
  • Fixed issue with the System Map scroll bar resetting when a map pop-up is closed
  • Fixed the switch tabs buttons appearing incorrectly in the French client in the Holo-me creator
  • Read messages in your inbox will now display an open envelope icon

VR - PC only

• Adjusted the pilot illumination so it proves less distracting when using VR
  • Fixed a rendering issue with some Sidewinder cockpit panels rendering as transparent when using VR

Weapons & Modules

• Fixed an issue where engineered Pack Hound Missiles could not always be restocked correctly
  • Fixed an issue where some engineered torpedoes were not damaging internal modules correctly
  • Fixed an issue where guided missiles could remain stationary in space after a conflict
  • Small adjustments to the position of the penetration sphere (and making it smaller) to better balance High Yield Shell, Deep Cut Payload and Penetrator Munitions specials - these should all be slightly less effective at their best, better on average, and overall show much more consistent results.
  • Fixed an issue where heat sinks could not be activated when in Supercruise
  • Fixed an issue where jumping to Supercruise reset the charge provided by a Shield Cell Bank if the charge had not completed before the jump
  • Updated the description text for the Turreted Flak Launcher for clarity
  • Fixed an issue where Collector Limpets could explode on the cargo hatch when the vessel was moving
  • Adjusted the Hatch Breaker Limpet Controller’s in-game description
  • Adjustments made to the Docking Computer to prevent damage during landings
  • Fixed issue of power priorities in the module tab not listing all priorities

Modifications to existing specials

• Autoloader rate increased 25%
  • Force Shell no longer scatters
  • Plasma Slug damage penalty reduced from 20% to 10%
  • Radiant Canister no longer reduces ammo capacity (was 25% penalty)
  • Shiftlock Canister no longer reduces damage (was 20% Penalty)
  • Thermal Conduit no longer includes a base damage penalty, but the damage bonuses from the firing ship’s heat have been reduced to offset this
  • Thermal Vent effectiveness doubled, and no longer increases weapon’s baseline heat (was 25% penalty)
  • Thermal Shock damage penalty reduced from 20% to 10%
3 Likes

Ready for download!

1 Like

Beyond 3.0 Beta 2 Incoming

Greetings Commanders,

The 3.0 beta galaxy servers will go down shortly in order for us to update to beta 2. We have made some specific changes to Engineers that we’d like to call out. You can read about them here.

See the full change log below.

Fixes and Improvements

Audio

Fixed an audio issue with Small Fixed Mining Lasers
Fixed some clicking that could occur when starting and stopping in the Lakon Type 10
Fixed hardpoint scanners being silent after swapping from mothership to fighter and back
Fixed a bug where returning from the menu pause screen would resume Galnet audio, even if the audio had been paused beforehand
Fixed some missing UI sounds when contributing resources towards a Wing Mission when using a mouse

Controls

Added the correct radial menus for the T.Flight Hotas One and T.Flight Hotas 4
Reverted a change that renamed ThrustMasterHOTAS4 to TFlightHotas4 to keep backwards compatibility with existing player presets that referenced the old name

Engineers

Engineer workshop now displays ‘None’ instead of the currently applied experimental effect if you have a Blueprint selected that is different from the one currently applied to the module
Pinning a blueprint will now pin all grades, not just one
Higher reputation with an Engineer will increase the speed you’ll progress through the lower grades
Initial balance pass on certain blueprint stats, to help test the new tweaks.

Galaxy Map/System Map

Removed Thargoid and Guardian from galaxy map Allegiance filter and added them to a new Civilisation filter
Fixed the System Map displaying the current view mode of the Galaxy Map in the top right corner
Fixed some incorrect player faction descriptions on the Galaxy Map

General Fixes & Tweaks

Increased yield of materials from asteroids
Fix for bounty values not always being received correctly
Material availability has been restored to its original state on planets
Added two new materials - Boron and Lead which can most commonly be found in metal-rich asteroid rings.
Choosing the Horizons Fast Start when creating a Commander now includes an initial set of micro resources
Initial commodity adjustments to make it more profitable to smuggle goods to a black market
Anarchy factions treat smuggling goods at a black market as if they were traded on the open commodities market for the purposes of the Background Sim

Holo-Me Creator

Corrected the position of the player’s avatar when using the Holo-Me creator when in an Anaconda

Installations/POIs/USSs

Fixed an issue that was preventing Data Uplinks from being targeted on Installations
Fixed Capital Ship in Distress USS being surrounded by ‘Clean’ Pirate NPCs
Prison ships now carry a stock of Sidewinders

Missions

Leftover cargo from a Delivery Wing Mission is now flagged as Stolen for all wing members
Adjusted the spawn rate of Skimmers at settlements to better facilitate ‘Kill Skimmer’ missions
Increased the variety of Courier missions that can be generated
Fixed an issue where kills by Wing members were not always counted towards a Massacre Wing mission
Factions will no longer send you to scan their own Data Points for a Planetary Scan mission
Fixed an issue that was preventing mission targets from counting towards an Assassination mission after following a target using a Wake Scanner
Fixed material rewards from Wing Missions not being added to the Material Inventory
Fixed mission rewards not filtering correctly
Wing Delivery and Collect missions are now available

Multi-Crew

Fixed a disconnect that could occur when attempting to deploy a fighter in Multi-Crew

NPCs

Fixed an issue where planetary defences would still attack you while docked after re-spawning

ATR fixes

Correct number of ATR ships now arrive and at the correct threshold

Outfitting

Fixed Recon Limpet Controllers all having the same stats and description

Planets

Fixed some cases of the rocks around Engineer bases being different colours to the planet’s surface

Player Journal

Added an event to Player Journal when SRV is destroyed
Added info in journal if wanted when docked
Added a property in the Journal’s “Location” or “FSDJump” event indicating if the player is wanted locally
Fixed the “Loadout” entry written to the Journal at startup (It was sometimes missing)
Ensured all ShipType strings written to journal get localisation
Added a new “Powerplay” event in the journal to log a player’s powerplay allegiance, rank, merits etc

Ships

Alliance Chieftain

Adjusted the Outfitting camera angle for the String Lights Livery Slot

Keelback

Adjusted some camera angles in the Keelback and fixed some UI occlusion that could occur with the role switch panel when in the second cockpit seat

Lakon Type 10

Fixes to the landing gear animations and positioning

SRV

Fixed an issue where the SRV’s seat was not animating in sync with the pilot impact animations

Stability Fixes

Fixed a crash when logging in after applying an unsuitable Engineer modification to a module
Tentative fix for a render texture crash (the most frequently encountered crash in 3.0 Beta 1)
Fixed a disconnect that could occur when using the Technology Broker if trying to remove required materials
Fixed a crash that could occur when the mission owner scans a Nav Beacon for an Assassination Wing Mission
Fixed a crash that could occur when looking at the Navigation Panel when in CQC
Fixed a crash that could occur when opening the Galaxy Map
Fixed a crash that could occur when switching to another ship
Fixed a crash that could occur on the Insurance Screen

UI

Fixed failed Wing Missions not being marked as such in the Transactions Tab
When selecting a megaship turret in the contacts panel, it will no longer look like the player is selecting a ship nor have any attributes normally associated with a ship
Fixed an issue where weapon mode icons (fixed, gimbal, turret) were appearing incorrectly for modules in outfitting
Fixed the icon for Inbox messages that contain audio
Fixed some visual issues that could occur with the UI upon unlocking an item from the Technology Broker
The Sub-target tab now shows status instead of health when selecting a hackable item
Modules tab now updates when taking heat damage to correctly display health values
Fixed negative numbers appearing next to invitee’s avatars on Massacre Wing missions
Fixed Engineer mod notifications not correctly aligning when changing from one warning to another
Fixed an issue that prevented players from scrolling down the module info panel
Fixed an issue that could lead you to become stuck on the rewards screen following the completion of a Cargo Depot Wing mission
Changed the inbox filter and header from ‘Audio Logs’ to ‘Discovered Logs’
Fixed some debug text that could appear when targeting Black Box Canisters
Fixed the ‘engineered’ icon incorrectly displaying when selling stored non-engineered modules
Fixed a crash in the workshop that could occur when comparing against a Blueprint not available at the current engineer
Fixed an issue whereby an NPC’s avatar could appear in the Comms panel instead of a player’s avatar
Fixed inbox message not always appearing when gaining an exploration rank after discovering a new micro resource
Fixed a crash that could occur when accessing The Dweller’s Starport UI

3 Likes