NVidia GTX 1080

They do, or rather they work as well in real life as they do in VR - Your Virtual Mileage May Vary and there’s lots of dispute around it. If I have to take Dramamine before a game I’ll probably skip it though.

Great read @BeachAV8R

Why did you chose the 1080 over the 1070? Everything Ive read says the 1070 is the best bang for your buck. Its about $200 to $300 cheaper than the 1080.

I agree - I think the 1070 does offer more bang for the buck. But at this point in my life, I’m willing to pay a bit more for one and done…this way I only have to unpackage something once, crack open the case once, and I’m set for a bit further than the 1070 will take me. Of course…my RAM is probably the weakest link at this point, but I don’t know if “better” RAM will fit in the mobo I have (Asrock Z87). Like I said, I’m not a hardware guy…

1 Like

Well I 've been rocking a 570 for 7 years now. Lol

Was just curious if the extra $200 was worth it.

NVIDIA Expects New $139 GTX 1050 Ti GPU to Meet Oculus Min Spec:

1 Like

And here is a good article about benchmarks 1080 vs 980 Ti:

1 Like

Man, this really makes me doubt whether I want to jump in on either a 1070 or 1080 right now… :frowning:

I think it all depends on your current card. Me for example, I got a 570, so a jump to the 1070 is a no brainer but if you have a 980 I can see were it would be harder to pull the trigger.

I think that second article link I posted a couple posts up is worth a read - because it clearly shows were the 1080 does really make a difference. New stuff and VR. I just happen to play a lot of old stuff - FSX and X-Plane 10 are no spring chickens at 4 years old and 10 years old respectively. I guess I should have benchmarked Dangerous Waters too…

and Dungeon Keeper.

1 Like

I can overclock my 980ti to the ragged edge of 1440mhz. A 1733 MHz boost clock on the 1080 sounds very inviting indeed. Not even liquid cooling will get my 980 close to that. So in the end the 1080 is quite the card. However, I will have to wait until the 1080ti or 1180 comes around to see if they sweeten the pot by more than 300mhz. If I had still had my 580, the 1080 would be a worthwhile investment.

1 Like

http://imgur.com/gallery/EvhXO6H

4 Likes

Did you pull the trigger?

1 Like