Oculus Rift CV1 - First Impressions With DCS

It works well enough. I’ve used it very briefly. Civilian airliners and general aviation are very, very slick with it. I have serious stability issues when using it along side the superbug however.

1 Like

This was a really interesting video. FlyInside looks amazing.

It’s interesting that FlyInside has things like zoom and in-sim windowing, to bring things like PDF plates into view, mouse interaction, larger tooltips etc. I think a lot of these things might be standard UI things for sit-down sims.

I really want to get one of these. VR headsets that is.

I want the Vive but the Rift has been tempting me because of the lower price and ATW (Asynchronous Timewarp) … but … the Vive has room-scale VR, a more moral* integration philosophy with regard to competing products … but … the Rift is a little lighter and has better** optics … but … the Vive has less noticeable god-rays.

The thing is, I know I would love to be flying with either of those and I also know that in a years time, with higher resolution displays, I am going to want to get the next version.

Gah!

On the other side, I know that my GTX 970 is ok for VR, but it’s not going to win any awards from me for excessive frame rate. The GTX 1080 is.

Gah!

* for some definition of morals;
** for some definition of better;

3 Likes

The async timewarp is great for things that can’t get to the target frame-rate not to barf, but it is a stop-gap ‘trick’ in a way. It works so well for sit-down cockpit sims as your frame of reference is really only around a fixed point (unlike walky around stuff where you really need reprojection).

Valve are taking a bit of a hard-line against it because they think it ultimately hurts the future of VR titles it wants to see (and it didn’t imagine flight sims so much), with the thinking that VR titles will have to be more efficient as the resolution gets higher and higher. ATW as a stop-gap won’t work going from 45fps to 95fps on a 4k per eye, so the Valvians are trying to say ‘devs - just go fix the underlying 45fps first’. They could add it to SteamVR tomorrow, but they feel devs won’t make the baseline improvements VR needs if they do.

Stuff like foveated rendering (reducing detail away from your eye focus) is ultimately the way to go and would rock so hard on flight/driving sims, but we’d need V2+ of the hardware at the very least for decent eye tracking.

The optics between Rift and Vive seem pretty similar, with the Rift having a nicer sweet spot but the Vive have nicer field of view. Glasses in the Rift can be pretty tight, and the Vive sits a little too far back from the face.

As for new GPU card, maybe a 1070 is a good fit? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent Chuck! Thanks for diving right into the meat. If I see one mor unboxing I’m going to (non-virtually) scream. I’m sold!

This is actually a good point. I was considering the 1080 as a more future-proof card but it does drive up the overall cost of VR ownership (as I am lumping a GFX card upgrade in to the VR pot).

I see AMD announced their new solution targeted at the middle ground but I am underwhelmed buy the potential of that card. If it can match the rumoured speed of a GTX 980 then that puts it in direct competition with the 1070 (?) but at a probable $300 price point. This may pull down the potential cost of a 1070.

Of course. I may be out to lunch. Oh! It’s that time anyway!

EDIT: I am seeing more rumours that the AMD card is expected to the 80% as capable as the GTX 1070 but at 50% the price. Which is interesting. Might be too low on performance for me to consider but the price point is nice.

Yeah, these kind of videos do get pretty old pretty fast.

As for the reducing quality based on distance to your eye focus:
If it is really EYE focus (and not the center of my field of view), yes.
Otherwise no. That absolutely kills natural seeing.

@wagmatt in DCS World with VR

1 Like

That’s some very good news. I had a suspicion that DCS was not utilizing the full amount of resolution available previously. I’m glad to see they’re adding more configuration.

Also I’m just throwing it out there, and this isn’t anything against ED, but those Rift mandated VR accreditation things seem really, really stupid.

EDIT 2: GOSH DARNED CATALINA WINE MIXER ZOOM TOGGLE. It’s like ED is running down my list of VR gripes and drop kicking each in sequence.

4 Likes

So am I right in my understanding that now we get the choice between silly laser pointer and a much more practical mouse cursor regardless of VR headset?

If they don’t enjoy the Steam Store hoops, they’ll gonna love the Oculus Home store stuff. :slight_smile:

Yep, looks like a toggle with keyboard/Hotas assignments for mouse buttons too.

Have you tried raising the pixel density to make the gauges more readable?