Star Trek Discovery (with spoilers)

Very much liked the first episode back. Not a huge fan of this Tyler / Burnham interaction, especially as she seems do 180s in her thinking process where he is concerned, which is just weird. I mean, they haven’t even known each other that long, so the devotion there is just silly given her other actions.

But in general I think this was my favourite episode. Also Captain Tilly is pretty cute.

edit: I guess timeline gets a bit distorted on a show like this, so I’ll rephrase. I don’t actually care how long Burnham and Tyler have known each other. The relationship still bothers me, because it pulls her in the opposite of the direction she’s trying to go. I know some people are going to like it, but it seems contrived to me.

1 Like

Ok, so end of season. This show is not very good. At least, not very good Star Trek. But in general not very good.

Mary Wiseman (Tilly) gets best performance nods from me, with Doug Jones a second and whoever plays Stamets third, despite how annoying his character is.

But holy smokes this show is all over the place. Like terrible. Not sure I’ll bother with season 2.

It had some potential in the beginning, but yeah, when the parallel universe plotline came up it really went south.

Totally agree. It was less than good. Very disjointed in areas, and some stupid un-needed character progression/regression in lots of areas.

Loads of the small pieces just didn’t fit in with each other and was hashed in a way that would make JJ Abrams happy.

It was fairly bad. Just watched the last episode last night and it made even less sense than normal. "We put a drone down a hole with a bomb on it - now I am the Klingdon leader you’ll all unite behind! (Plus, ignore this human stood next to me, plus hey, call back the Destroy Earth fleet - thanks’. Ok.

The Spore stuff was bad. The Micheal making speeches at random intervals in that one-tone delivery of hers. The Mirror Universe. The Mirror Universe (so bad, worth saying twice). The Mirror Universe (maybe three times actually, it was really bad).

Anyway, it was like some sort of group writing exercise in Screenplays 101 where the teacher picked the participants and they all thought they’d rather throw the course than allow anyone to get a good mark.

The special effects were good. Saru was tall, Tilly was ok. The fan service Enterprise ending was pretty cringe-inducing. Apparently the next series theme story arc is ‘Faith and beliefs’. I’m out.

It was okay, I was never a big fan of the other ST spin offs and was brought up watching the original series. But it was an enjoyable enough series to keep me interested :slight_smile:

Anyone watching season 2?

I really enjoyed yesterday’s S02E02. It felt very Star Trek, in that, more an ensemble cast feel, some good ol’ prime directive standing order one conflict, plus a new non-mirror goatee captain. Very good production quality as well. Riker was the director, so perhaps this series has finally got its ‘beard’ on? :slight_smile: :bearded_person:

I thought that episode 1 of season 2 was pretty good. Looking forward to episode 2 - when I get a chance to watch it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m really enjoying season 2 so far! Jonathan frakes as director definitely pleased me. Me and the wife are hooked.

1 Like

I am concurrently watching Hell on wheels again and started STD last night. Funny seeing Cullen Bohannen as Captain of a star ship and not railway boss :grinning:

2 Likes

So only watching this because the streaming service I signed up to for got has it. Better than season 1. Still not… Star Trek? I dunno. It’s good but not what I was hoping for I guess. Looking forward to.finale though. Can’t complain about it as a show.

Yep I watched it as it was on, although it is an odd show. It’s like The Orville is a bit childish/simplistic and can be mawkish a bit too much and this show is a little too much dark and single character focused with lots of ‘why did they do that’ confusion. They need a show in the middle and call it Star Trek. :slight_smile:

I found the last episode where they all said goodbye for an hour really hard to get through, it felt like the end of the Return of the King where everyone kept saying goodbye and nothing happening. The Captain Pike character is good, they should make a show around him.

Funnily enough, the better Star Trek Discovery episodes were directed by Jonathan Frakes, who also directed the better The Orville episodes as well. I think he just redoes the Next Gen feel a bit better.

1 Like

So… That was interesting. Not a great finale if you ask me. Tied up some questions of continuity though. And visually great. Some errors (shields magically jumping back up some % without any repair lol) but anyway.

Just didn’t feel much happened. And the end end uh… Wish they had shown the discovery. Seems like a series finale.

2 Likes

I wonder if the next series, being set 1,000 years in the future, is going to turn into a sort of ST:Voyager like star-trek series, where the story arc is about ‘getting home’ and each episode being the ol’ ‘fish out of water, look how different things are here!’ thing.

It took a while for that last red signal to send the ok to clean-shaven Spock, so best guess that would be Yeoh’s character coming back in her own Red Angel suit to do her own Section 31 spin-off. I’m not really sure why they are making that as I don’t think anyone wanted it, but whatever. :slight_smile:

The ending seemed more like a set-up for Star Trek: Captain Pike, as they have a few years of stuff to cram in before the Original Series pilot time-frame. The ‘we never talk about Discovery’ tied the canon up with a bow but was a bit weak.

I’m sort of interested to see what they do with Discovery, although it’s more just out of curiosity rather than a ‘must watch’ thing. It was good to have a weekly sci-fi show to watch.

1 Like