HOEEFRAGGINGCOW! I see it, NOW!

1 Like

Can you hear me, Major Tom?

Sorry, I had to

fark_814DS02G5cMpV0lGEBNVT1IeTA8

8 Likes

Grabbed image from the feed. This is just how it looked on YouTube with the space junk in the background.

space-junk

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/WkYCh-Ezmaw

2 Likes

I just remembered!

2 Likes

It may be strange because it really only is a PR gag, but it is so inspiring.
I like the thought that kids now watch it and say: I want to be a spaceman! And in 30 years they will stand on Mars and say “I made it”.

We just have to make sure we don’t ruin it for them, so they really can live their dreams.

dammit I am being melodramatic again. Quick, bring the Bourbon! It is give O’clock somewhere I guess

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4GZVxf0RK4

1 Like
1 Like

Also this paper about predicting where the Tesla might end up:

“On February 6th, 2018 SpaceX launched a Tesla Roadster on a Mars crossing orbit. We perform N-body simulations to determine the fate of the object over the next several million years, under the relevant perturbations acting on the orbit. The orbital evolution is initially dominated by close encounters with the Earth. The first close encounter with the Earth will occur in 2091. The repeated encounters lead to a random walk that eventually causes close encounters with other terrestrial planets and the Sun. Long-term integrations become highly sensitive to the initial conditions after several such close encounters. By running a large ensemble of simulations with slightly perturbed initial conditions, we estimate the probability of a collision with Earth and Venus over the next one million years to be 6% and 2.5%, respectively. We estimate the dynamical lifetime of the Tesla to be a few tens of millions of years.”

2091 for the first close encounter huh? I better go work out. :weight_lifting_man:

1 Like

I love this from your first link: “The car exceeded its 36,000 mile warranty 278.2 times while driving around the Sun, (10,014,615 miles, 16,116,965 km, 0.11 AU), moving at a speed of 56,031 miles/hour (90,173 km/hour, 25.05 km/s).”

Concerning the second link, it’s encouraging that some very smart individuals think enough of the project to spend time plotting the Roadster’s trajectory over millions of years :smile:

1 Like

In case some of you chaps will be around in 2047, SpaceX may be throwing a big party.

2 Likes

The most disturbing thing about that video is that Agent Smith was narrating it

3 Likes

You mean it wasn’t the ruler or Rivendell, Elrond?

3 Likes