2018 Health & Fitness Thread

CONGRATZ! :star_struck::+1:

Now remember… Start with teaching her simple flight sims first BUT NOT Ace combat-like and…

Komemiute gets thrown out of the town

WHAT? I was trying to help!

1 Like

First;
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
It’s SO awesome!

Second;
Yes, you do need to be in shape! Once she starts walking, she’ll be all over the place. You blink, she’s gone! And in a few years, you need to be chasing away her boyfriends. Having some stamina and muscles won’t hurt at all. Or getting a gun, a shovel and an alibi… :wink:

Enjoy life! It just got significantly better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed on all accounts! A bit shell shocked right now but very very happy :blush:

3 Likes

Congrats! Wait til she’s able to amble over and hit the power button on your CPU. It’ll happen. :rofl:

2 Likes

It sure did. And enjoy those moments in these first few years when you can just have her snuggled up to you in bed or on the couch. The time flies by at a frightening pace.

3 Likes

Fat Boy got back on the bike today. It wasn’t pretty…but it did feel good… I won’t post my embarrassingly low mileage number though.

2 Likes

Remember it doesn’t matter how fast or how far you go, what matters is that you have fun. Going farther and faster comes with time.

I’ve been doing a pretty strict training regiment over the last weeks and today I went for my monthly FHT test to update my heart rate training zones. I will definitely feel it in my legs tomorrow and I averaged 170bpm over the course of 1:30h :sweat_drops::sweat_smile:

Good thing I only do this once a month :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :biking_man:

3 Likes

A bit of a wet slog on the bike today…but it felt good to get out there…

2 Likes

How’s everyone doing?

I’m feeling great and I’m trying to improve my cadence atm since it has dropped quite a bit over the winter months and I’m still not at the level I was last fall.

I struggle a bit to get past 87ish rpm average right now. It might be the gearing since I’m missing that sweet 50x16T gear with my 11-28T cassette but my plan is to just increase my power a little bit so that I can cruise in 50x15T at 90-95rpm (34km/h+) all day every day.
The target is to average 90-95rpm which I discovered last year is pretty much my ideal cadence, a bit higher when I am pushing really hard.

Here is what I found on my phone after today’s ride must have happened after taking a picture of some nice fields and clouds:

2 Likes

Breakfast ended at 9AM, snowshoeing until a break for a snack at noon, a few more hours of snowshoeing. The spike near 6PM was me packing my bags for the flight home tomorrow…10,000’ kicks your butt even when you just go to tie your shoelaces…

1 Like

All that training is paying off, solo 109km ride in just under 3h24min. That’s an average of over 32km/h or about 20mph for the Americans around here. The wind didn’t make it easy either. Pretty proud of myself, I wouldn’t have been able to do this just two months ago
temporary_file5188503259861653346

6 Likes

Nice riding. :+1:

I’ve been pushing up the miles with commuting and weekend rides my weekly distance is up to around 200-240km. My goals are based around MTB races with road riding for fitness. As the weather gets better MTB miles increase with road and overall distance dropping

Going back to your cadence target, I noticed spending time on longer MTB rides pushed my average cadence up a bit on the road bike, I’m guessing because of the gearing, time spent in saddle etc. I now average around 95/96rpm, up from high 80’s.

Obviously road bike gears have an impact, i’m Currently running a semi compact 52/36 front and 28-11 cassette, though winter commuter bike runs a compact 50/34 front which is nicer for the windier days. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice :slight_smile:
Mountain biking is something I want to do as well some day but there are so many other bikes I want to get…

I’m gonna start with a road bike to add to my touring setup. Probably a Canyon. Might even pick it up at the factory in Koblenz and then ride it home. Because riding a brand new bike 250km home is the sensible thing to do, right? RIGHT?

My cadence was up to 91rpm on this ride. I spend a lot more time in the 95-100rpm range than usual which felt really good. The headwind I had for the first 40km did actually help with that because I was spinning hard to keep my pace up. So yeah, progress

2 Likes

Being sick the whole March and half of April kinda sapped my initiative so I am ramping it up a bit again.
A bit of running and so on.

And in the last few weeks I have done a bit of archery again! I took up the bow a few years ago but then hardly shot any arrows last year. Shooting my bow again showed me: accuracy is still kinda ok, but the strength… it is a bit embarrassing but even the 25lbs bow hurts after an hour.

This week I moved on toward my favourite bow again (35lbs longbow). My goal is to shoot a 50 or 60lbs bow at the end of the year.

After two weeks of halt because of the heat wave I restarted running. 4k in under 30 minutes.
Not too shabby but still no good enough.
Almost decent for a potato like me, though. Also broke the 90kg barrier. Down to 87.5.

I wanted to track better my performances- is there a good app for normal Android phones? My wife made me one of those armband holder and I can’t wait to try it out.

Ciao!

2 Likes

I think Runtastic is decent, even the free app.

Noted! Thanks… :slight_smile:

Check out Strava. Very well developed app for running and cycling, Has a strong social component if you are into sharing your workouts. Tracks bike and shoe distances, which is very handy for knowing when to do maintenance or replace running shoes.

3 Likes

Thanks ! Not actually the first time I hear about it… I’m too shy to share stuff online but maybe I can use it to cross check my results with runtastic…

Hmm…and in 2019 I might be able to do the same and just change the date to 2019 and change the age to 47. Disturbing. I’m down about 7 or 8 lbs. to 226 at this point. I really need to be down at 185. I can’t even imagine how much better I’ll feel without carting around an extra forty points of dead weight. I mean…pick up a 40 lb. bag of anything and cart it around the grocery store for a few minutes and let that sink in.

Time to get serious.