2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

At the risk of a hijack (woohoo 3-0!) did anyone catch that promo for the VW Electric Van. Looks to just be a concept vehicle…but I’d love something like this.

Maybe that would make up for the diesel emissions fiasco of a few years back (just joking…I know all car manufacturers try to rig those tests!)…

3 Likes

Oh…and I can be sexist about this because my wife oohs and aahs over the likes of Ronaldo…but a ton of those women soccer players are hot!

4 Likes

And tougher than a sack of nails.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen a dive yet in today’s match. All reactions were to legit fouls… Refreshing.

4 Likes

…yeah, not gonna lie, that’s definitely one of my… types.

That too.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting a microbus since I sold my type 3 camper. The Eurovan was a better design, but it didn’t capture the imagination. We’ve been teased so many times over the decades by the motoring press, that I’m afraid I’ve given up hope. I think that VW drops images of that bus like a question video title on YouTube, such as “Is this the Oculus 2” when they are desperate for attention.

2 Likes

I have serious issues with a 13-0, that’s poor sportsmanship, poor leadership, and too top if off with all the celebrations is just flat out disrespectful.

At the end of the day professional athletes are getting paid to play a children’s game. Acting like spoiled rich children was flat our disgraceful to the program and what they have accomplished over the years.

I kinda understand they were probably jusst competitive and wanted to break the German 11:0 record.
But I still understand where you are coming from, after a 6:0 or so you could probably tone down the celebrations a bit, swap a few important players out so they don’t hurt themselves, and just lower the level a notch or two.

They should have benched all their starters at 5/6-0. Develop the women who are going to be the next generation.

I get putting away 10+ goals if you’re some upstart team who is “making a statement” about their chances. The US women’s team is the favorite! It was classless and risky. All it would have taken is a couple of pissed off Thai players, who know they are going to back to their full time day jobs next week, to decide a red card was worth getting some payback. In the men’s game, honestly I think that would have happened.

Putting down 13 goals, using every single player on your roster and not celebrating so much, I’m okay with that. 13 goals with your starters acting like every single goal is the cup winning goal, is just ridiculous. I don’t care the sport, remember it’s a game, the other team is playing for the love of the game just as much as you are.

That’s not possible in soccer, normally you can only replace up to three players.

1 Like

I love this clip - shows soccer in a good light:

http://i.imgur.com/JCEvbFJ.gifv

5 Likes

Well sub out your three best players, and let everyone get sometime in positions they don’t normally play. Let your midfielders play striker, etc.

It is reported than when Neymar Jr. saw that clip, he actually fell down in his living room grabbing his shin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaW_GAIIXeI

5 Likes

Seriously though in the men’s game the first tackle would’ve been the end of that play. Buncha babies. I know they get paid a ton so they baby themselves on their clubs commands. But God it makes them seem childish.

2 Likes

My dad wanted one of those, because of memories of driving the ALCAN highway with my grandparents in a Microbus when my grandfather was stationed in Alaska, but then he test-drove one, and declared it “slower than cold molasses in January.” (direct quote) I’ll have to show him the teaser for this new one. Especially if there’s a Westfalia version.

To be honest, this is why I have SO much more respect for the USWNT and the Women’s World Cup in general.

Reminds me of scrimmaging against the women’s teams in middle school and high school. They played VICIOUS, and we weren’t expecting it the first few times.

1 Like

Pictures or it didn’t happen! :smiley:

Hey, I’m italian I can be sexist as long as I say “…but I would totally respect her and marry her afterwards!”.

This is one of the women who shot a goal for Germany:

Edit:
And here is Alex Morgan (USA)

Edit:
Also this list:

1 Like

USA vs. Spain right now, and this is looking to be a good one.

So it will be France vs. USA, that’s going to be an interesting match, too!

Sweden vs. Canada now.
The winner will face Germany.