A DIY Radar Controller

Thanks, Fuzzy!

1 Like

Very impresive… very impresive!

I mised good portion of this thread last year so I revisited it and I am sure impresed!

Thumbs up Troll :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, @NEVO!

Hi Troll,

Just found this thread, I’ve been trying some electronics, mostly mods to my X52 hotas, added a button that’s triggered from the safety cover popping up. I’ve been thinking about doing exactly what you’ve done here though, probably not to anywhere near the quality or beautiful finished product as you have. I love the scroll wheel in the handle, the aluminium dial is beautiful.

I’m planning on 3D printing the handle too, I’d have to make changes to allow for different sized components, I’d probably use an arduino pro micro in the base and just route all the cables through the stick to it instead of having any circuits in the stick itself, I’d probably have to resize buttons and the scroll wheel to pieces I can find, I don’t have the skill or the tools to make them myself. That said would you be open to sharing your 3d model for me to use as a base for starting mine? I really like the general shape of it and having the placements for the trigger and such there already, especially the three way trigger button placements would make my life a lot easier.

On another note, how did you wire the rotary selector? I’ve been experimenting with turning 12 way selectors into essentially a potentiometer by soldering resistors between each of the pins apart from the gap between 1 and 12 then wiring VCC to 1, GND to 12 and the signal to the centre pin. With a little code on the arduino it’s possible to use the linear change in resistance between pins to determine what pin is selected. My experiment with resistive wire hasn’t been quite so successful, it’s fiddly to install, the resistance is too low to be super accurate and it heats up quite a bit, I’ll probably have to replace the wire with resistors like I did with the first, unless you have a better solution?

2 Likes

Sure! I’ll load them up to dropbox and send you the link. Any particular file format you like?

I take it you mean the rotary switch on the base?
It’s a 12 way rotary switch. I’m only using 7 outputs on it though. They are all wired as individual switches to the shift register.

Do you want your rotary switch to behave like an axis, or do you want an axis to behave like a series of buttons?
I do believe MMJoy2 can handle both in software. I’ll check.

Whatever format suits you, I use blender so stl is fine.

With the arduino I just have a special class for the selector that can be queried to get the current position or the delta. Not sure how I will expose that to the joystick emulator. I have to check how to bind the master selector in the Viggen.

Are you coding the arduino yourself?
I use MMJoy2 by Mega_Mozg.
Compatible with Arduino Leonardo and micro, as well as ProMicro and Teensy 2.

Yep, I’m a programmer by day which helps. I’m using the Arduino Joystick Library which makes it fairly straight forward. The difficulty is just converting the various input types and translating their outputs into what that library expects in a way that is mappable in-game.

3 Likes

@Troll Sorry to necro… But is there any way I could have the stl / cad files? :slight_smile: It looks like a great stick!

1 Like

Sure!

1 Like

Thanks a lot :smiley:

surely radar controllers look like this?

2 Likes

Unless its the USAF then they are all like …

3 Likes

I’m going to venture out on a limb and suggest that I may prefer to receive my no-gyro vectors and PAR from the former controller. She appears a bit more seasoned…

1 Like

Yeah, its not like you’re having a Video Chat in the pit w ATC. But if you were…

So I am new to the diy controller rabbit hole.why do you need shift registers?

1 Like

To not need N+1 pins for N buttons.
Instead, you use the fact that the computer chips is faster than how often you need to know ehich button is pressed.
This allows it to send the state of many buttons over one wire every 10 ms. 1s and 0s. Just made up a number, not sure what the actual cycle speed is for the shift registers but it’s fast enough

thank you for your reply. pardon my density i’m a little new to this. it would help if i had code to peruse. But I think what youre saying is:

make a loop with a counter for the shift state
make a loop to check all the pins
send the data for that pin over usb

how would this work with interrupts?
again a code sample would enlighten me if the op would not mind.

Hi @Skypickle!
I have never coded the controller software myself.
I have just used MMJoy2.

Edit. Does this help?

This is phenomenal. I’m going to try to print the Joystick bits. If I can get those at a decent quality I may ping you for the PCBs…

I want a Viggen stick so bad!

1 Like