AV8B N/A Tips and tricks

Do you mean the processes by which you tab through MFD pages? Also Cougar MFDs FTW.

Auto, or at least the cues and indications it gives, is all sorts of broken right now. I wouldn’t sweat it.

1 Like

I find that reassuring, in that I get far more luck using plain CCIP than AUTO. The two main things I was finding were (a) The cue line would shift horizontally like crazy the closer I got to the target and (b) if I held the pickle about 2 seconds before the drop bar crossed the marker I swear sometimes the bombs wouldn’t fall off automatically. I expected the auto bit.

https://youtu.be/9lzN8sr-dTY?t=14m15s

Someone more willing to look through the TAC document can correct me, but I would expect AUTO to look more like this.

2 Likes

Nice HUD view of the profile. Over the top at 10.8, pitch to -30 degrees, ~400 kts, and release at 7k.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was expecting more ‘lining up’ rather than a roll into a CCRP. Cool.
- YouTube

So did he line up the + on the bomb fall line (the horizontal bar across the bomb fall line) with the target or was the piper off the bottom of the screen? It looked like what I expect to see if I am bombing from high altitude but I don’t think that the Harrier shows the + on the bomb fall line. I am using CCRP … at least I think I am … and not Auto.

AUTO is CCRP I believe. The target diamond turned into a ‘dashed diamond with a dot’ in it symbol once the target was below the HUD (we don’t have this in the Harrier yet). It looks like he moved the flight path marker (the circle with wings) to be on the vertical line but below the AUTO drop horizontal line, and then once wings level, let the FPM cross the drop line so the iron fell off by itself.

That’s how I saw it anyway.

AUTO = CCRP, I dunno if it’s a Navy thing, or a McD Navy thing, but AUTO = CCRP

What’s going on here is the pilot has decided he’s going to do a 30 degree delivery. He’s flown to a position ~2NM from his target, and 30 degrees offset. Once he’s about 2NM, he rolls to put his aircraft’s lift vector just over the target and pulls to simultaneously achieve a 30 degree down nose angle and place the target in his HUD.

He rolls out to put his FPM (flight path marker) on the ASL (Azimuth Steering Line), which is the giant green line running through his hud. Briefly visible is the target diamond, which then slides below the HUD and becomes dashed. The pilot makes minor corrections to align the FPM with the ASL.

The horizontal line hovering above the FPM is the release cue. It will slide down from the top of the HUD, and the point where it intersects the FPM is the cue to release the weapon. On the right side of the HUD there is a timer giving a countdown to release. If you note once the pilot is satisfied with his alignment a white box appears on the top left of the HUD. That won’t appear in real time, but I’m 90% sure that’s the aircraft’s recording system indicating the pilot has depressed the pickle button, which in AUTO means he’s giving the computer consent to release the weapon.

Also notice the release cue seems to hover for a few seconds before moving down. Essentially that’s the aircraft’s computer trying to chew through a release cue while the pilot is rapidly adjusting his azimuth, speed and pitch. Once he stabilizes it counts down like normal.

Compare this to AUTO in the Harrier. The ASL simply doesn’t work anything like what’s going on in this video. Every time you roll it goes off to who knows where and gives you reversed steering cues. The release cue is absent until ~2 or so seconds before release, and comes crashing down through the HUD like Soyuz. I’ve also noticed that the actual release does not seem to coincide with when it crosses the FPM.

1 Like

I am confused what this does when using the maverick. Do you mean slewing the TDC?

It gives the Mav a hint to go try acquire a lock, sort of like TMS forward on the A-10C. It’s range sensitive, so somethings people are mashing it beyond range I think.

EDIT: The action in DTV mode will ground lock, when you’re in uncaged Maverick then it’ll retry lock, so basically two uses.

2 Likes

It’s context sensitive depending on what your SOI is.

2 Likes

Cheers, so whats DTV mode? Still a tad lost in the harrier, getting round to deploying weapons better and better though.

DMT Is a big fancy camera in the nose of your jet and one of the three primary ways of creating a SPI in the harrier. You select it by pressing sensor select back until it says DMT on the top left portion of the right MFD, and the MFD is showing a TV screen.

DMT is by default slaved to your flight path marker. Fly at whatever you want to bomb, put your flight path marker on it, and press TDC Action. The DMT will lock onto that position, and you can fine tune the slew via the TDC buttons (eventually axes). The aircraft will save this position if you turn away, and will automatically slave your maverick seeker to that position when you uncage them.

2 Likes

In NTTR/2.3 I’m sure it is bugged, in that it seems to slave to the right of the FPM rather than on it in 1.5. I get that wee guy lined up just right, and it appears about 20m to the right. Is this just me? :slight_smile:

Haven’t actually used it in 2.2. I’ve only flown a single sortie and was working solely with LST. I’ll check it out tonight.

1 Like

I didnt notice it was off but then I just get it in the general area and then slew it where I want anyway.

I’ll try it with my own missions. It’s like it is not using the proper altitude or something.

The v2.3 did supply some pre-baked AV8B missions, but this one especially seemed to bring out really odd flight path marker → DTV mark point behavior…

DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Missions\QuickStart\AV-8B Conventional Bombing.miz

Fantastic, turned out I had bound the wrong key to my SSS. I had the down instead of aft bound, or the other way round. Anyway, I love that targeting pod in the nose. I find it a very natural system, didn’t have that click with the A-10C so there’s that.

1 Like

You forgot the part about him/her making it look easy.

1 Like

Okay so when I have selected a target through the nose camera, how do I then activate the maverick? I am woefully lost, I am missing something.

EDIT: Yeaaa… If I could uncage the maverick before trying to slew it, that would be great.

2 Likes