AV8B N/A Tips and tricks

It happened to every single one of us I think.

2 Likes

Next question! How do I get the maverick to lock on? Could get them to lock in 2.2, now that I am using the nose targeting in 1.5 I can’t get them to lock even if they were booping the SA’s snoot.

Mavericks will attempt to lock on when the tdc action button is pressed or once you stop slewing them.

1 Like

Plus a MAV D needs to be within about 8nm, otherwise it won’t lock. Often a failure to lock is range.

1 Like

I tried the D and G variant. Neither wanted to lock on, nor respond to the TDC action button. Weird, I must have had some switch in the wrong direction.

1 Like

Did you press Sensor Select Forward until you see IRMV or EOMV in the top left of the MFD?

1 Like

The first post is actually a really nice summary for MAV use. @Bogusheadbox did a good job on it :slight_smile:

Also, there is a TDC Action toggle plus a TDC action - make sure you bind the latter, as the former is more a ‘set on with a toggle’ and isn’t implemented yet.

2 Likes

Hmm, that might be it. Not sure though, will try tomorrow.

Stupid follow-up question. How do you get the DMT to go back to ‘boresight’?

Undesignate button. Will also reset LST.

2 Likes

AKA. the NWS steering same button.

1 Like

+1 and when some guys (like @TheAlmightySnark :wink: ) will be still learning the basics of Harrier we will be already gunning them down helping them with the ‘Vertical Landings’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Harsh! Besides, landing the harrier is easy, it’s so damn stable!

How do your uncage a weapon
I’m yet to launch any air to ground weapons as I’m missing something.
thanks

You’ll want to map a button on your HOTAS to “LWin - C”.

From the pocket guide:

Cage/Uncage Button
The cage/uncage button is a momentary pushbutton switch. Its functionality depends on aircraft master mode and selected weapon.

• A/A Master Mode:
o GAU-12 Gun pod: Toggles between the long and the short range gunsight.
o Sidewinders: Clears any missile lock.

• A/G Master Mode:
o Bombs: Alternates between CCIP and AUTO (CCRP) delivery modes.
o Rockets: Toggles between CCIP and fixed sight.
o GAU-12 Gun pod: Toggles between CCIP and fixed gunsight.

I just wanted to add to the Hotas mapping tips for people with limited equipment, like myself.

I use the POV hat on my t.flight Hotas x for all the sensor functions using different modifiers for each for example:

Sensor Select is LCtrl+POV
TDC Slew is LAlt+POV
AA modes are RAlt+POV
Trim is RCtrl+POV

When hats have a press or down function, use the same button for all of them, adding the corresponding modifier. May not be perfect, but works for me. Would really like a quality Hotas setup, just hard to justify spending $3-400+.

I also use twist stick for rudder :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Working Radios

In NTTR (and I imagine 1.5 as well) the Harrier radios can be made to work by using three things:

• In the mission editor tick the ‘force easy comms’ mission option.

• In the radio frequencies settings of the AV-8B aircraft flight in the mission editor (a few tabs on from waypoints, weapons etc), using ‘COMM 2’ and put all your frequencies you’d use in the mission, i.e. ATC tower Creech, JTAC, the Tanker etc. Even though you are filling out COMM 2 presets when in-game then these will be set up for COMM 1 instead. A bug.

• In the Up Front Controller, with the two COMM 1 and COMM 2 radios, don’t forget to turn up the volume so you can hear any responses. Cold and dark will be volume right down, so you’ll need to adjust to hear anything.

You can then use the COMM 1 presets wheel (the big grey thing at the bottom of the UFC on the left) to select the frequency you need and the ‘easy comms’ or COMM1 button to transmit. The digital display will show the frequency from the earlier presets made in the Mission Editor, i.e. 251.00. The options panel on the left will show T/R, Squelch etc, but I’ve found you don’t need them as yet.

Even though Easy Comms is on, I find this the most reliable way of always being able to get the radio to work in NTTR with the Harrier. On the radios on the right panel (leg) you can put it to ‘TR’ from ‘off’ but at the moment it doesn’t make any difference I don’t think.

3 Likes

Thanks chipwich, I’ve got it figured out now :slight_smile:

For totally HOTAS setup with budget stick I recommend addding joytick buttons as modifiers so you don’t need to use Ctrl, Alt, etc.

The way I have setup my T Flight HOTAS X is:

button 1 - trigger
button 2 - pickle
button 3 - uncage
button 4 - NWS/AG undesignate

button 5 - modifier for POV hat to use as TDC (+ with button 4 - TDC down)
button 6 - modifier for POV hat to use as Sensor Select Switch (+ with button 4 - SSS down)
button 7 - modifier for POV hat to use as trim hat
button 8 - modifier for POV hat to use as view zoom controls (POV left - zoom out, POV right - zoom in, POV aft - reset zoom)
button 9,10 - nozzle control

Note that buttons 5-10 are on the throttle, POV hat is on the stick. That way I don’t even have to take my left hand off of the throttle to use modifier key (on the keyboard) for my POV hat.

1 Like

hehehe I read that “SWAG undesignate”

4 Likes