By the G pulling balls of Olds, why no F-4 in DCS?

Welcome @KoryBorah! DCS for us here on this aviation forum stands for ‘Digital Combat Simulator’, a PC flight simulator - Digital Combat Simulator World

1 Like

I was tooling around in the Fishbed, doing some high-altitude, high speed flying, and thought of the Mig-25 - that would be another really cool module to have in DCS. It’s probably not terribly competetive with anything else as a weapon, but I imagine it has a lot of cool, oldschool systems to operate, and faster is (sometimes) better, right?

Depends on how DCS simulates radar in the future. I’ve been told the Foxbat is actually quite a threat because when it’s going Mach Bazillion and a half the actual act of locking it up is difficult due to a combination of the refresh rate and computation speed of mechanically cued radars (something DCS currently doesn’t simulate). By the time the radar has chewed the numbers and figured out where the Foxbat is, it’s not there any more. Also if you can detect them, you can trash just about any BVR missile shot if you so choose.

Yeah, I’d fly a Foxbat.

3 Likes

I’ve also read that it’s own (tube powered!) radar pumped out 600 MW…

And is cooled by grain alcohol. Which totally wasn’t drained by the ground crewmen whenever possible…

Also on the subject,This probably not the most or even close to most accurate documentary, but it’s got Peter Ustinov, so it’s good enough for me.

1 Like

The book “MiG-Pilot” http://www.amazon.de/Mig-Pilot-Final-Escape-Belenko/dp/0380538687
tells a few interesting bits about the Foxbat and the, uh, “plane vodka”. :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s coming!!! Belsimtek said they’re making one! An F-4E.

https://belsimtek.com/news/1785/

7 Likes

Screw the recent Hornet-hype, this is easily the biggest DCS news of the year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Boy I DO AGREE!

2 Likes

I am a bit careful with being hyped because, you know, DCSW…

But this one does get me excited quite a bit!

You’re a bit late with this news! (see DCS new release thread) however, as there, I’ll leave this little quote here, too:

Hello!

We are very pleased that our news has given you great pleasure.
The team makes one of the latest modifications of the F-4E, with a large range of weapons. Also, we will not forget about the multi-crew.

The advancement of the project will be reported in the news.

1 Like

1. Here’s to hoping Belsimtek goes for a late/post war variant so we get the maximum spread of possible mix of ordinance. I’d be disappointed if I’m stuck trying to dispatch Fulcrums and Flankers with AIM-7E-2s in my 80s missions (wouldn’t stop me).

the F4 is a nice aircraft … but what about the Hind :slight_smile:

Stunned. Very happy that belsimtek has been given the honor! WOW!!

This is going to be very cool … and challenging to fly :slight_smile:. Not like that ‘easy mode’ F-14, right @near_blind?

1 Like

BST has confirmed on the ED forum that they are looking at a late-70s/80s USAF model. More details to follow. A perfect choice in my opinion.

But looking at pictures, it seems that AIM-7E-2 and AIM-9J were still mostly the norm on front line USAF Phantoms in the 1980s. By that time they were used mostly as fighter bombers, so it seems they were using up old stocks of air-air missiles.

1 Like

I agree. I am very glad that this important aircraft is done by one of the top developers and not some of the “secondary” teams. Sorry RAZBAM and co., but there are noticeable difference in quality.

So we’re not getting Falcon missiles? My over developed sense of Schadenfreude was looking forward to those…

pfft Flying the F-4 is simple. Take throttle, move forward until it doesn’t go forward anymore, then move it forward a little more. If engaged exploit the vertical like it’s cool. No, the challenge of the Phantom is going to be the switch hell that is the cockpit. It was a complex aircraft to begin with, and they just kept tinkering with it.

I hope Ol’ Cal here wasn’t lying to me then :smiley:

A cursory google image search shows a bunch of F-4s out of Spangdahlam and Rammstein with what appear to be some variant of AIM-7E (warhead band aft of the forward control surfaces), and I’d guess they were shot sometime in the 70s or 80s. I’d hope we get access to at least an AIM-7F, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

1 Like

Weren’t they mostly deployed on the C and D models? Like the Robin Olds era?