Case III Recovery w/ Vaicom Pro for VoiceAttack

10 Likes

Great video, voice attack looks pretty slick.

Donā€™t take this as being critical just something I noticed, and this may not be the case, but it appears you were making some pitch adjustments with the stick, it seemed like the plane was struggling to hold the donut at times. You shouldnā€™t have to touch the trim or make pitch changes in the stick after you get on speed when fully configured. The trimmer in that configuration (gear down full flaps) sets a desired AOA and the FCS maintains it. So as speed decreases the FPM drops, speed increases FPM rises, but the AOA stays rock steady.

Hopefully this doesnā€™t come off as condescending, I thought the video was well done.

7 Likes

Tried that again today without success. Can you explain the technique more fully? Are you using ATC? My AoA is constantly changing.

2 Likes

Easiest way to demonstrate how it works in the hornet. Fly at a speed of about 250. Drop gear and FULL flaps. Use nose up trim to get the FPM in the middle of the E bracket. and then let go of the stick. Use only the throttle to hold level flight. Im not good with words. Heres a good video showing how it works, starts around 10:30 he goes into details.

Basically when you manually add pitch adjustments in that mode, you are fighting against the computer trying to help you out. Its one of the reasons you see dudes sawing the throttle when landing the hornet in real life. Maybe @boomerang10 can add some RL tips/pointers. I believe in the Super Hornet it even shows you the number of AOA you have trimmed for.

8 Likes

Interesting, but it the response time is way too slow. Youā€™ve got 30 seconds in the groove.
Take a look at this guy controlling throttle and stick (Super Hornet) in a real carrier landing:

EDIT: I went and tried it in the sim and it worked pretty good. Still got a no grade EGIW, but it went pretty smooth with no calls from the LSO. Will continue to experiment.

2 Likes

Whoa! Heā€™s going crazy on that thing. Totally against the most common advice Iā€™ve seen on the subject.

Perhaps the stick has an enormous deadzone and he is just fidgeting with it out of excess adrenalineā€¦

1 Like

Well. Iā€™m faaaar from an expert but, could be turblence/the ā€œburbleā€ behind the boat? Iā€™ll bet it looks worse in that video than it is.

Even when trimmed on speed I still ā€˜jiggleā€™ it a bit. to make fine adjustments but they donā€™t throw it off that much. Dunno.

1 Like

Thanks for that. A great demo. Now to practice

1 Like

The vast majority of that input is roll also. Iā€™m not a pilot, never claimed to be, just saying how the computer acts in landing configuration. If you want to keep on speed, you canā€™t make big corrections in pitch with the stick.

2 Likes

Also see how the trimmer is untouched, Iā€™ve heard of guys jiggling the controls like that before, forgot the reason though. Wouldnā€™t apply in a simulator. Maybe to keep the slack out?

1 Like

Reminds me of a RL pilot (somewhere) hinting that ā€˜stirringā€™ the stick when trying to stick the basket during AR can be helpful. I actually tried this in the sim and it sorta helped. I donā€™t need to anymore though.

I donā€™t know. There doesnā€™t seem to be any way the engines could keep up with those rapid changes. I know the response time is way slower. Well, I donā€™t know it, but I would be very surprised if it could keep up with that. I tried it in the sim once (the VRS superbug) and it actually worked out o.k. I think the theory is you take the ā€œoverthinkingā€ aspect out of it. Kind of like throwing a baseball. Your body knows what it needs to do to get the ball exactly where you want it.

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t need to be making drastic glide slope changes that close anyway, and you wonā€™t have to if you hit the numbers. Secondly, the engines are running in the upper range of RPM where the response is actually pretty good.

Not perfectly applicable because itā€™s a different system, but thatā€™s why in the tomcat you are supposed to have the air brake fully extended when landing. Keeps the engines in a high rpm range where they are more responsive.

3 Likes

@Chaz I hope you donā€™t think Iā€™m bagging on the video, or that Iā€™m some super expert. Just thinking out loud.

1 Like

Did I say something about making drastic changes? Iā€™m just trying to say that there will be times where you will need to bump the stick. Iā€™m not trying to argue with you or tell you your wrong. Like I said I think that Froogleā€™s video is interesting; I hadnā€™t seen that before nor did I know that the AOA would be held steady like that. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

Yup, as you adjust the trim it will display the value in the HUD. Also, engaging ATC should set the correct trim, though I donā€™t know if DCS does this.

Groove is 15-18 seconds and, at night, is really the first time you start looking at the ball.

I also believe that he has ATC engaged in the video above. The throttle movements are too smooth and it looks like the throttle is moving his hand, not the other way around.

Looking at his other videos, heā€™s definitely using auto-throttles in those so I think itā€™s reasonable to assume he is here as well.

You are able to make very fine adjustments with the stick and those movements are a result of that. You can throw around the stick quite a bit and make very precise corrections to your lineup, which youā€™re doing the whole time in the groove.

Burble would drive someone to increase power in close to counter the excessive sink rate caused by the drop in wind.

Thereā€™s definitely adjustments made in pitch. As good as the FCS computers are, if you change the power drastically, it may need some corresponding pitch adjustment, but itā€™d be very minor in magnitude.

5 Likes

You guysā€¦ :smiley: I appreciate the feedback. Certainly didnā€™t expect all this though.
I did adjust the wind and turbulence in the mission editor to change things up a bit.

@Gunnyhighway Zero offense taken. As a matter of fact, you are the first to note that. At the end of the day, this is just entertainment for me.

If passengers only knew how much we hacksaw at the controls in high wind/gusts, theyā€™d probably never want to fly again. When I flew the Q400 in Hawaii, particularly Maui, the afternoon winds were commonly 25 kts gusts to 35 knots and a 30-40 degree left crosswind for runway 2. And the Q flight controls required a gym membership to manipulate, especially the ailerons.

Well, I was certainly more than thrilled to walk away from that Case III above with an OK LOIC 3 wire. On centerline too. :sunglasses:

Start at 0:40

See the adjustments made just inside of 100 ft.

5 Likes

Ride-em cowyboy! Yeah, myself and buddy were jump-seating once, mid-90ā€™s. The exact aircraft I donā€™t recall, only that was a Boeing product and had 2 jump seats.

The pilot had 4 appendages going at once in a wild wind situation. I was, as you mentioned, amazed at the amount of 'inputā€™s (yoke and rudder). None of us of course said a peep during all this; it was mesmerizing.

After touch-down, in unison, myself, my bud, AND the copilot all called out, ā€œNICE landing!ā€. The pilot just shrugged, ā€œThanksā€. All in a dayā€™s work.

3 Likes

O.K. Big THANKS to @Gunnyhighway for posting that On Speed Video. For my last 5 trap attempts, Iā€™ve eased up on the stick and have gotten 4 perfect passes and a bolter:

_OK_ 4
_OK_ 2
_OK_ 4
B
_OK_ 3 (Icing on the cake)

That video really helped a lot. I went from getting cuts and No-grade EGIW to this after watching.
I had known the theory before, but I think I wasnā€™t buying in.

Now, I gotta go see if I can get better accuracy on these JDAMsā€¦

8 Likes

Thumbs up ; Iā€™m pretty happy with vaicomproā€™s first iteration of carrier comms however:

• long calls need delay, my Marshall readback for case2/3 gets interrupted by ā€œreadback correctā€, obviously not.
  • the Marshall readback features a bug, when I repeat the expected time (the actual command) properly Iā€™m assigned a new time;
  • case 1 : tower overhead at 5 nm, I get the signal Charlie twice.

So a little rough around the edges still but pretty awesome already.