Clearance Delivery on an Aircraft Carrier

Anybody here have any info about clearance deliver procedures on an aircraft carrier? I know how it goes from an airport but no clue on a CV.

Right now I’m handling it in a very simple manner: just a quick brief that only states what is, to me, the obvious: after the cat shot & clearing turn, switch to departure and rejoin enroute to the first waypoint, climbing to altitude.

Is there an agency contacted on the radio, or phone inside the CV, that gives you something like a clearance?.

Is a clearance limit specified, if returning to boat?

Other than the, as far as I know, standard bits shown below, I’ve not enough of a clue to even ask the right questions…

From CNATRA:

I get that part but say we were blasting off the Lincoln in the PG, to schwack a target - on a training mission to a gunnery/bombing range in peacetime. Might the aviator contact someone? who would then go something like, “Devil 501, cleared to the Lincoln via CASE1 departure, [first waypoint], then as filed, [altitude info], departure freq 123.45…”.

The CASE1/2/3 bits seem to serve the same purpose as a STEREO route, only simplified for obvious reasons (do they still use the term STEREO route? probably)

Yeah, I need to Google this more. but not coming up with much yet. Thanks

1 Like

On a phone, so being brief :slight_smile: but one nice write up of the delivery procedures was in here I think:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/dcs_supercarrier_operations_guide/

Not sure I can recommend the Super Carrier for DCS, as it doesn’t seem to have been updated since release about a year ago.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m hooked on being ‘hooked up’ by my virtual shipmates :slight_smile: But it would be nice to see some love for the boat.

Thanks for the link BTW

1 Like

In a DCS Hornet pilots Facebook group, there is a recent post regarding CV Cyclic and ‘ZIPLIP’ ops that a virtual squadron practices. That post was then transferred to Reddit.

A TON of great info. Basically all declassified NATOPS manuals simplified into 2 manuals. Much of the COMMS side is still beyond the practical game mechanics of DCS, but great for virtual squadron ops. In that Reddit post, at the bottom, you will see a link Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS. It covers CASE 1/2/3 in more procedural detail than the DCS Supercarrier manual, but doesn’t go into what you are looking for.

At the very end of that manual, you will see a long list of links on how this manual was developed. Grab yourself a pot of coffee :coffee: (or adult beverage :wine_glass:) and prepare to READ. :nerd_face:

Somewhere in those links, you may or may not find your answer. It could be classified for obvious reasons.
a630f1f6035cca9be9be84687c16079d

1 Like

Those are two really good reads @Chaz - do you think it’s ok if I link to the Google Drive’s direct?

@fearlessfrog Yeah go for it. They are not my manuals, but as far as I’m concerned, if it’s on Reddit, Facebook, etc, it’s fair game and public knowledge.

Here is a video of the virtual squadron, VNAO demonstrating ZIPLIP recovery procedures.

2 Likes

Cool, they are both really nice.

Cyclic Ops

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gCUyoDQ-DGGBCFEOvgpER9L1w7hc0TT5

Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hShIyjq1Cf8MQSAcwk5k1IhSMdvqpUok

Links via

On my phone and at work so haven’t clicked through all the links, but I can give some insight.

After launching you’d check with whoever is controlling the airspace around the boat but that’s more of a procedural checkin to check your IFF, datalink, etc, but they do not control your aircraft in a typical ATC manner. Checking back in with them coming back is generally recommended as to not get tagged by a friendly SAM.

Doesn’t exist. Everything is governed by the airplan, which is the document that has all the events launching and recovering from the boat for that day. All it will typically have for a squadron is the number of aircraft in that line, their mission type (ie DCA, BFM, etc), and their launch and recovery times.

When the boat is in international waters, there is no flight plan or route to speak of. Events will sometimes de conflict on their own, such as you do your event 50 miles west of the carrier, we’ll do ours 50 east, but other than that it’s the Wild West.

Then you’re just expected to show up on time for your land time.

The exception would be if the flight is going from the boat to shore. In that case, the air ops department would file a flight plan with the appropriate ATC agency and the aircraft would pick up their clearance when approaching that airspace.

Likewise, going from the shore to the boat involves flying a filed route typically to a waypoint to enter military airspace, at which point positive ATC ends.

The CASE procedures are simply standardized methods to safely and expeditiously launch and recover aircraft.

3 Likes

Double-knarly, like totally awesome-ness…whew…I’m back…

Yeah, I don’t need letter perfect procedures just something that resembles RL. Think abstractions here: you “contact an agency to request a procedure” kinda thing. I have AR working and the model should fit the bill for things like IAP’s from an IAF. The outbound stuff for CV ops was where my clue-bag was empty. Haven’t read it all yet but it looks good. Thanks

Curious to see what you have in the works, @jross!

© 2021 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ