DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

…something that Francis Gary Powers found out the hard way. :fearful:

4 Likes

Wow at 1,149 MB upload! Let’s see…divide by…carry the four…ummm…that’s like over a GB! :grin:

Great history channel documentary on this. I used to make my world history students watch every year during the Cold War unit.

3 Likes

Very much so, really want to see CA come into its own. So much untapped potential there.

8 Likes

Yes, 125MB over! It’s like 1.1GB even! Heavens to Mergatroid!

Exit, stage left!

2 Likes

Maybe this update will fix my issues…

Wheels

2 Likes

Over 19 hours into the update and I am just over 50 percent downloaded. Should be finished around 4 am tomorrow at this rate…

Wheels

1 Like

Bloody heck.
Wouldn’t it be faster for someone living in your same nation to simply copy their DCS folder on a USB stick and send it to you?

1 Like

The download being throttled by them. The download size would take me less than two hours if I was downloading it directly like I do the IL-2 1946 patches but the torrent version of theirs is throttling my download speed to as low as 0.2 KB/s with an upload as high as 60 KB/s so they are using my machine to help push it out but keeping me from downloading it any faster so they won’t lose my machine as a seeder.

At this point with the problems I have had so far I don’t feel comfortable disconnecting from the download. I don’t mind the idea of seeding but twenty times what would be normal is not acceptable. The last two updates using their torrent have not been as bad but they took waaaaaay too long also.

Wheels

1 Like

I think if you hit cancel it will change to a direct download and not a torrent.

1 Like

True, but from what I have read at the ED forums about this complaint in the past that option was not any better. The though of having to wait another 30 or 40 hours so it could download the http version is not at all appealing. With any future updates I intend to kill the torrent immediately and test the http option. If there was a way to disable the torrent option permanently and opt into the http version download I would make that change immediately. At least I would always have the patch if I ran into problems and wouldn’t be at the mercy of their torrent program.

Wheels

1 Like

I’ve never experienced such low d/l speeds, but if you suspect the torrent to be the issue canceling to try it won’t hurt anything. Also if you cancel the download totally, it will pick back up where it left off in my experience.

@wheelsup_cavu

Perhaps, if you don’t like big downloads because of the time, perhaps consider changing to the Open Beta branch. The release IS the open beta, just weeks later.

Being on the open beta will mean more frequent updates. But hopefully that wont culminate into one huge patch when release version catches up.

I went ahead and cancelled it. The update report after I cancelled it was filled with ERRORS galore. That does not bode well for me that the update will fix my current problems even if I did get the update to finish downloading.

Wheels

Errors like CRC errors or losing connection errors or what?

I get some large variability in speeds at times when I DL the updates but for the most part they peak close to my 100Mbps/13MBps max, and I tend to run them on weekdays in the evening ET zone, when I would imagine it’s fairly congested.

It’s no Steam update but it’s still better than the Il-2 launcher one (which is why I spent an extra $20 to get Il-2 BoS on Steam and then linked my accounts to get the superior patch speeds from it). Most brilliant thing 1CGS did with Il-2 in quite awhile IMO.

Needless to say, if there was a way I could do the same with my DCS install and get the patches from there while still buying from the ED site, I would do it in a second.

DCS World Newsletter - 14 December 2018

DCS World 2.5 Update
This week we updated the release version of DCS World to include many of the new features and fixes from the past two weeks of Open Betas. As always, the goal of the Open Betas is to introduce and test new features and fixes in order to first make sure they do not result in game crashes. Once we are satisfied with the stability of an Open Beta, and that it adds plenty of new content and fixes, we update the Release version.

Noteworthy changes to the DCS World 2.5.3 Release update this week include:

• Restored Instant Action debriefings
  • Adjusted AI attack altitude when using bombs
  • Added multiple liveries for several ship classes
  • New China Pack liveries
  • Added F/A-18C Hornet JHMCS, FPAS page, AGM-65E laser-Maverick, air-to-air radar fixes, updated Hornet User Guide, 13 new interactive training lessons, new instant action missions, corrected night lighting, added “Go to Tanker” radio command, and many more items.
  • Many updates to the MiG-29 to include flight model, animation, flight control system, and other improvements.
  • Huge update to the Persian Gulf map to include many new airfields and landmarks. More additions are still coming!
  • Numerous improvements to the RAZBAM M-2000C and AV-B NA and Heatblur AJS-37 Viggen.

You can find the complete change log here.

For the 2.5.4 Open Beta update next week, we plan to add F/A-18C Hornet laser-guided bombs, Bullseye and BRA information, further improvements to the AGM-65F infrared-guided Maverick to include better axis slew control, and more great stuff that you can read about here.

Next week will also see the release of the updated P-51D-25-NA and P-51D-30-NA Mustang, the C-101EB with AFM and C-101CC, and new cockpits for the Bf-109 K-4 and Fw 190 D-9. Exciting times!

DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Cockpit Update
Coming next week will be a fantastic update to the Bf 109 K-4 cockpit. This update will take advantage of new DCS World 2.5 features like deferred shading and Physical Based Rendering (PBR). We think you’ll agree that the results are quite stunning!

More screenshots

As mentioned above, this will be one element of cockpit updates that also include the P-51D and Fw 190 D-9.

6 Likes

OMFGWTFBBQ! FREE NEW UPDATED COCKPITS!
Hell yeah! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m not hip to Airedale lingo, either of those Mustangs a post 43 European variant?

@BeachAV8R

2 Likes

Virtually all P-51D/Ks are post '43. The prototype XP-51D flew in November of '43.