DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

Finally had some time to sit down with 2.5. Played 2 missions from Georgian Hammer and it ran pretty sweet (after recompiling the shaders, lord knows why it copied those from 2.2). They did a pretty good job of getting the hardware demands in the same ballpark as 1.5.

Actually on my rig (I5 4670, 16gb, 1070) it runs smoother and looks far better than 1.5 ever did. 2.2 ran better as 1.5 as well, so I knew 2.5 was gonna rock my world. And it does.

Currently flying the A-10C training sessions. Man that gun run was fun! the IP quoted Sam L. Jackson at me! Strike down with righteous anger and furious vengeance!

Good to see the people making this had fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I just rebuilt the shaders, made a few other tweaks and took 2.5 for a quick spin in VRā€¦

:heart_eyes:

WOW! I just flew around in the Harrier free flight mission. The graphics, and particularly the lighting, are absolutely stunning. Iā€™m going to have to tweak a little more but my initial impression is that 2.5 was more than worth the wait.

1 Like

How do you rebuild the shaders?
So, I finally go onboard with 2.5. It took a completely new install. It finished this morning before I came to work. I looked at it with desire but I know I would never make it to work if I dived inā€¦
Thanks PaulRix, I got something to look forward toā€¦

Delete all the contents of ā€œ\Saved Games\DCS\fxoā€. That will force a recompilation of the shader cache when you load a mission afterwards. You may notice that DCS will appear to get stuck ~1/3 into loading the mission. That is when it compiles the shaders, as that takes quite some time.

I tried it last night.

Firstly it takes about 3-4 mins to load a mission, is this what everyone gets? Seems a little long compared to 1.5 but was the same in 2.2 for me also.

I tried the Harrier and A-10C. The Harrier I tried with the free flight quick mission and the A-10C the Fall quick mission (second from the top) and I had no problems with the Harrier but the A-10C mission I had pauses which could be to do with the units in that mission and nothing in the Harrier free flight one? I have messed with settings and thought it could be the trees causing it but even when I turned them off it still did it. Thereā€™s also more buildings in the A-10 mission so could be that?

The cockpit looked bad with low textures so upped to medium and lowered resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600Ɨ900 and then I couldnā€™t see the text on the MFDā€™s etcā€¦ I couldnā€™t read anything in the cockpit with Low textures either :roll_eyes:

What will be giving me the biggest hit to framerates and causing the pausing? I donā€™t want to turn the trees off (reducing the slider is not an option as the lower down you go they ā€˜growā€™ up in front of you as you fly lol) as they add so much immersion so what would be the best options to change?

It looked nice though even at lower settings :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you use MSAA with deferred shading set to ON?

Yes deferred shading was on and MSAA at 2x set in game options not through Nvidia control panel. Should they not be on at the same time?

What settings you running at?

MSAA has a huge performance hit when deferred shading is used. Try turning MSAA off and play with your nVidia AA settings or turn deferred shading off and use in-game MSAA.

2 Likes

Ahhhhh I see! I hope thatā€™s what the problem is!! Thanks Iā€™ll look tonight.

DO you know your way round the Nvidia settings?
I wondered about Ambient Oclusion and if FXAA or MFAA was the equivalent to the ingame MSAA
? I hate anacronyms
:slight_smile:

Also be sure that you use flat shadows, non flat shadows have a high performance footprint as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve played without AA so far, but iā€™ll have a look at the settings later.

I just had a quick test with changing the settings. No joy for me, in a rift. There is a persistent shimmer that would probably disappear if we could use the in game MSAA. I see some rift users on ED forums are lowering the Pixel Density and adding the MSAA. I guess you takes your choice. Still looks 100x better than 1.5 :slight_smile:Cheers

For VR users, I have just been playing with the IPD settings. Its interesting to say the least. Have a go and be aware you can make changes on the fly :slight_smile:

1 Like

:+1:t2: Iā€™ll try that too :smile:

Also try putting shadows to flat, I have found in the past with the viggen you have to have textures to high otherwise the cockpit is unreadable ā€¦I havenā€™t tried med textures on the new one ā€¦ I did have quite a substantial drop in frames from 1.5 to 2.5 ā€¦ From 90+ to 40-50

1 Like

Will do, cheers. Medium for me was still not very legible but I do need to get a TrackIR again so I can move forward and see better.

If you have an old web cam kicking about give facetrack noIR a throw ā€¦ I used it till I got my trackir :slightly_smiling_face: