DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

Ok, I am going to install DCS 2.5. Wish me luck. I think I am a bit late. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hop on when you do! I should be around

1 Like

Ok, old news for a lot of people, but findings so far:

• Snow looks purdy.
  • Nvidia drivers beyond 388.13 cause frame waits. Going to roll back.
  • Shader cache seems a bit broke. Manually clearing out DCS.openbeta/fxo and metashaders seems to help.
  • Trees are impressive. Maybe a bit scaled wrong? They seem really big compared to the buildings.
  • Iā€™ve got a strange grid on the NTTR landscape, but looking on the ED forums thatā€™s been reported.
  • Deferred Shading and MSAA happens over two frame passes, so that needs to be off for me now.
  • VR performance seems similar to 2.2, as in ok, but not great. A thousand knobs to fiddle with, but turning of shadows seems to be the thing to help.
  • VRAM usage is up. I am using a 1070 GTX 8GB and it needs it.
  • CPU profile is a bit different, maybe a bit more work off of core0. Perhaps the speedtree? No big performance improvement, as still core0-centric (which is to be expected).
  • Gamma in VR using Deferred Shading is a bit of a battle. Cockpit illumination on seems to bleach out a bit, while 1.1 gamma works inside the cockpit but then the landscape is not right. Still lots of beta work to do on the lighting in 2.5 I think (which is pretty much expected as it was this way in 2.2 for a while as well).
  • Sunsets/Sunrises is the new midday. It seems the deferred shading is at itā€™s best with long shadows (which it gets for free as part of the clip algorithm) but it does mean contrast/gamma need to be topped out a bit during bright parts of the day.
  • New Georgia is nice, although a curious mix of old and new textures sometimes. I love the seasons.
  • Night time lighting and FLIR in the AV8B needs some tweaks. City lighting at night and ambient values past sunset seem a bit out of whack.
  • Tried a server very late last night, and as expected saw my 16GB memory fill up and then fault out after about 40 mins.Single player seems ok so far.
  • Lots changed in the Harrier in terms of TPOD etc. Will be fun to try that, although need to get into the mood of trying to find a good gamma/contrast and framerate friendly bunch of settings. In VR it seems to be much more variable than 2.2, even in NTTR.

Anyway, fun to take a look at the beta. Hopefully lots of progress over the next couple of weeks as the release gets closer.

7 Likes

good write up. The memory issue is the biggest hang up for me. Iā€™ve decided to put DCS away until the Hornet is out. 16gb at the settings Iā€™m used to doesnā€™t cut it on a multiplayer server, which is what I fly on 90% of the time.

Try the instant mission F-5E Free flight Nevada. It looks amazing on my tv. Beautiful desert sunset.

I rolled back to 388.13 after your post. Nevada now has these weird gridlike patches of shiny stuff. The game does seem to look better than before. Perhaps I need to rebuild shaders againā€¦ Not so sure about the gain in framerate. It does not seem more fluid than the driver I rolled back from (390.something)

The time of day/Gamma value has a HUGE impact visually with Deferred Shading on,When the Sun is low in Nevada is my favorite time to fly.

1 Like

My two biggest laments at this point in timeā€¦

1 Like

Regarding the trees I am also under impreson that the scale is bit off. But maybe it is one of the dev tricks - biger trees means less trees for particular area what means beter performance, maybe.

Regarding MSAA I gave up on it. My new AA is nVidia DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution). Is controled via nVidia control panel. I am runing now 2880x1620 on FHD TV.

Yeah tree scale is off. Or building scale is. I think perhaps the latter. Someone park a Hip next to a tree to see.

Someone found some interesting bone animations of what looks to be carrier or ground crew doing their thingā€¦thatā€™ll be sweetā€¦!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1DYbBVfv4

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tejqAjCenAg

2 Likes

NSFW (language)

https://youtu.be/2vfGPGhH03Q

3 Likes

that had me in blippin stitches

Has anyone checked this yet?
I know it is a bit silly that this is so important for me, but I like night flying, and I like flying low with helis, and that bug has always been a huge immersion breaker for me.

Sorry I tested and thought I had posted the results. No light effects on water. Sorry it is pants that they cannot overcome this yet.
Only tested rivers in the Caucasus with a huey though not the sea or any other maps

also the NVGs are blurry and make night flying hazardous :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Nooooooooo!
This is getting really ridiculous now. :frowning:
Well, thanks anyway.

1 Like

You mean during night hours water reflections omit light sources?

Specifically the searchlight/landing light from choppers. I am unsure about light reflections from towns or boats

Iā€™ve not done any night missions with the Su-33 recently to see if its lights were reflected. I should do that when I get a minute.