DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

OpenBeta and Stable are on the same level - at the moment!

So fresh install incoming :slight_smile:

Memory Limit Issues
Hey guys,
This post is to clarify the issues that some have been having with 2.5, and to clarify what is going on, and the best way to approach working with it.
First, this is NOT a memory leak. A memory leak would be that usage of RAM continues to increase during running of the sim until it uses all you memory and the program crashes or stops responding.
What is actually happening is that with 2.5 and all its new features, people are hitting their RAM limit on load of maps. Why? Well 2.5 has added higher object counts, from collide-able trees, new buildings, more buildings, and other objects to make the maps look more alive and detailed. Include in this higher detailed textures and you can see how more RAM is needed.
Currently ED is testing a solution that will help much of this. The initial version of the dynamic texture unload manager which will greatly improve performance for heavy online missions is currently under test and should be available for users within the coming two weeks. We apologise for the delay but a last minute issue arose with this module.
What can you do while you wait? Adjusting older missions from 1.5, especially for multiplayer, by removing un-needed units can help. Mission design can really help manage RAM usage, and for the time being will be the best bet to help. As well, look at your computer specs, by no means does ED demand you guys upgrade to 32GB, but if you are running 8GB, you may need to evolve with the times, and understand that as ED offers bigger more detailed environments, the demands on your system will need to evolve as well.
I hope this clarifies a little more of what is going on, and that ED is truly working to make this the best experience for all.

9 Likes

Good to know. @NineLine just wondering if there is an idea of the reduction in ram.
I am thinking of upgrading from 16 to 32, as 16 seems to max out. Wondering if its worth upgrading or waiting for optimisation.

:f111:

Using only 8GB? Not great at all. Still, better than those poor sods trying to use 4GB w/x64 OS.

Iā€™ve never used more than 60% of my 16GB in any game so far. Granted Iā€™ve not played the 2.5 beta, but if I only had 8GB Iā€™d have run out easily with several games.

Donā€™t Windows systems still use virtual memory? So why the crash?

I would wait and see what the unloader does. I am on 16 and do mostly fine, although some of those brutal MP missions are rough to load. If you can afford it, I would never stop someone from putting more power in their machine thoughā€¦

@piper It doesnā€™t crash but all ram is used up. When that happens computer pages it to disk. Not so bad when using an SSD, but its not ideal.

@NineLine Cheers, will hang on!

Thanks for explanation Bogusheadbox. Makes sense now.
I do single player only and never seen the issue.

1 Like

The Problem is users with 8GB and even 16GB think they are still in the Top Echelon of Gaming Rigs and Disabled their Page File.

That Might have been the Case in 2012, but in 2018, avg System has 32 GB now w/ some users running 128GB.

16 was High End when I build My rig in 2011 and Mid-Range in 2014 when I build my brotherā€™s

General Behavior when loading memory:
Run out of memory and no PageFile to overflow to = Crash

Cheaper Option IMHO is Buy a FAST 128/256GB USB 3.0 Stick, put it on a Dedicated USB 3.0 Port, and Set it as a Windows ReadyBoost Drive

ReadyBoost didnt really work on Vista, but it did wonders on Windows 7.

@SkateZilla, ā€œThe Problem is users with 8GB and even 16GB think they are still in the Top Echelon of Gaming Rigs and Disabled their Page File.ā€

Is that the cause of the issue from the crash data you collect?

I never used the 2.5 beta. I canā€™t find clear info on how to install the released 2.5 and keep my modules. Do i uninstall 1.5x or will it update it? Iā€™ve downloaded what looks like a new updater.

Any clues gratefully received.

Just install 2.5 and when you start it login with your account. Then go to the modules section and it will ask you to install your modules. Itā€™s not done by keys anymore. Everything is tied to your account. Easy.

Keep or delete 1.5 it is up to you. Itā€™s deprecated and so almost no multiplzyer scene and no updates, ever, but if you like it, hey.

Thanks man.

1 Like

Itā€™s worth repeating that Skatezilla Launcher/Updater is a godsend.

2 Likes

That implies @SkateZilla is a God. Quod erat demonstrandum.

1 Like

Aye, i have grabbed @SkateZilla tool many timesā€¦(that can read badly)

3 Likes

and the next version is a huge step up, being tested a bit more due to changes but:

Latest Prelim Changelog of next Version:
3/08/18

-Art / Layout Adjustments
-Added PDF Buttons for All Modules
-Adjusted some more Detection Code
-Pre-coding for future expansion ideas
-Changed Background Graphics
-Adjusted Module Detection to Auto-Run on launch
-Adjusted Module Detection to Auto-Run when switching builds
-Moved Folders/Paths/Language Settings to a Separate Unified Settings Screen
-Moved Oculus Mirror Settings to Unified Settings Screen
-Re-Coded Arrays to Allow Custom Names to be Set for each Build,
(Custom Name will show on the Builds Panel to the Left and in the Drop down Menu)

3/21/18

-Set Limit of 20 Characters for Custom Build Names.
-Re-coded Detection and Auto-Scan Functions During Launch/Build Switching
-Update Button will automatically scan/refresh version numbers displayed when Update is complete.
-Module Install/Uninstall Buttons will automatically scan/refresh modules when install is complete
-All Launch/Model Viewer Buttons Updated As well.
-Added Status Line

3/27/18

Another feature being integrated and tested is Saved Games Folder Paths,
Which will Allow Users to Launch VR and NonVR with Separate Settings Automatically.

Originally I was going to Parse the LUA and allow users to set every value in the options.lua w/ a GUI, but this is simply too complicated and would be several pages of values to edit and save,

Instead, Allowing a User to have separate VR/NonVR Options Files and allow the user to set VR/NonVR Options within the DCSWorld GUI Path was chosen.

So After Setting your Saved Games Folders for Each Build.
When Launching w/ VR On, you will have separate settings than VR Off.
And they will be persistent.

Basically, On first launch, if the VR Options File isnā€™t already present/detected, it will copy your Default Options.lua and create it.
Launch DCS w/ VR, Set your settings as you wish, Close DCS.
A Separate VR File will be Generated, this VR File will replace the normal Options.lua when a VR Launch Button is clicked on the App.
When the App Closes, the VR Options File Be Renamed and the non-vr Options File will be restored.

When a Non VR Button is clicked DCS Will Launch w/ the Normal Options.lua as it should.

4/01/18

On Top of VR having Separate Settings,

I am also Integrating a PRESET 1, PRESET 2, PRESET 3, PRESET 4 System.

Which will allow a user to select from Drop Down Menu the 4 Presets, Default, or VR HEADSET Presets.
VR Headset Profile is Usable in launching in NonVR Modes for users that are using VR w/ Google Carboard solutions.

When Launching w/ VR On or SteamVR Button, the VR Headset profile will automatically be used.

if no Option is Set or if DEFAULT is selected it will use the Options.lua as is.

PRESET x will have a separate file for each preset and will load those when DCS is launched, and restore the default Options.lua when DCS is closed.

All the presets will be generated from the default options.lua, then the user will be able to launch DCS and configure each individually.

4/05/18

To add more features to the app, Iā€™ve expanded the ā€œstatus barā€ a little bit
-Network check during startup and specific button clicks integrated,
-App will now Auto Check for App Update, and DCS Version Numbers if network is detected on startup,
-App will Display network status (Connected, Local Only, Offline),
-App will Display Application Status (Update Available, Up to Date, Offline),
-App will Display DCS Status (IDLE, DCS WORLD RUNNING, DCS_UPDATER RUNNING, DCS MODEL VIEWER RUNNING, DCS WORLD VR RUNNING)
-App will Display Elapse Time DCS/VR/MV/Updater Runs.
-App will run in elevated permissions mode.

-Major Background Graphics Changes to UI
-Cleaning up/re-positioning of UI Elements.

As said before, due to the vast changes in under the hood coding and in general functions, itā€™s being more extensively tested w/ a wider pool of hardware profiles.

I hope to have all features solidified and locked in so I can start working on a Help file or Video Tutorial for Setup and common problems.
Some small changes to text or font may occur as I continue to develop

The next Public Release will be HUGE, Features wise, and increases to about 9mb of file sizeā€¦ the change log spans several posts over the last few months.

15 Likes

That all sounds amazing @SkateZilla! I particularly like the settings preset profiles. Thanks for all the work you have put into this.

pretty darn sweet indeed. the fact that it can still be improved on in such a remarkable way belies its divine nature, for how can perfection be perfected?

ergo it is an earthly thing by logicsā€™ iron dictate, but a fine thing nonetheless :hugs:

1 Like