DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

I verified this before leaving for work. Pretty sweet. Looks like some other nav functions are working also, the waypoint marker showed up on the ground in the hud.

1 Like

This is a huge update. Really looking forward to checking out the new stuff with the Harrier in particular. Itā€™s a 12GB download for me though, so I might be lucky and get to play it late tonight.

Iā€™m looking forward to checking the Chinese stuff. More flanker never bad! Dong Guo jiang hui de geng da!

ā€™ yea it got taken over by chinese hackers and now it dont work no more!ā€™

ā€˜My kid drooled into the cpu fanā€™

ā€˜it just exploded sir, no really!ā€™

1 Like

Thanks. I took a look at that tool when it was linked in another thread and unfortunately didnā€™t have enough time to read through the VERY long thread in the ED forums to obtain more information about it or what I needed to do in order to get things working as Iā€™d like. I did see that there was a VR option which I thought was great for those of us who would like to switch back and forth on occasion without having to mess around with all the graphics settings to get the best frame rate.

@Kinger
The deferred shading ā€œonā€ resulted in poor night time visibility in the cockpits of many aircraft. Hopefully they have fixed this as part of making deferred shading a locked option.

Went to update a few minutes ago and the auto updater didnā€™t see it yet. Will try again soon.

Harrier Moving Map :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just did a quick flight in the new chinese flanker and hot diggety dang! awesome! The HUD and voice warning system are in english, but the cockpit lights have chinese characters on em, and radio traffic speaks chinese too!

1 Like

I get the feeling we will see a South China Sea map sometime in the future. Oh wouldnā€™t that be fun with the Chinese aircraft, ships assets pack and the new carrier stuff coming up.

4 Likes

Heck yea it would!

Sorry guys, but Iā€™m trying to figure out this Skatezilla application. If I have the current production version of 2.5 installed on my machine, do I hit the update button and update to the beta? Does that basically keep a copy of the production version and the new beta version on my machine?

In fact, my production install seems weird in that the folder inside the Eagle Dynamics folder says DCS World OpenBeta which is why I assumed I was on the beta in the first place.

1 Like

So when people talk about ā€œrelease branchā€, and ā€œopen beta branchā€, theyā€™re talking about versions of the code. Generally the way this works since version control software became a thing, is you have a ā€œreleaseā€ version. This is meant to be relatively stable, and is considered the product as delivered. If you need to make changes, you create a ā€œbranchā€ off that version, and start making your changes without worrying about breaking the product for the customers. When you are satisfied with your changes, you mere them back into the release branch. This can be incremental, in that you release only the changes you made and keep your experimental branch open, or you can merge and close your experimental branch.

You can visualize it like this.

git_graph

So what skateā€™s application is running the ED updater with specific commands. Youā€™re telling the updater which branch you want to move to, and the updater will go, discover which files need to be changed, and update them to match the new version. When you want to go back to the release branch, itā€™ll do the same thing in reverse. In this way you can switch between branches without having to have multiple installs of the game. If that makes sense.

6 Likes

Thanks near_blind. So it really doesnā€™t matter that my files say open beta I just keep that location as my production release in the skatezilla app.

The biggest thing that having separate installs is good for is to have different branches in play at the same time. So, for example, if there is an open beta with some significant changes to it you may want a copy of that to be separate from release so that you can quickly switch between the two.

What Skateā€™s app does is allow you to manage one copy of the install and quickly switch between the branches, which saves space and confusion.

It might still occur that you want a separate install (ex: Nevada being in one branch and not the other - which would create a significant amount of work to switch between). But I donā€™t want that world to come back* :slight_smile:

*: Iā€™m an software developer by trade so I can see the point of having multiple copies when necessary.

Moving map is greatā€¦ love the fact u can see where uā€™r TGP or DMT is looking at ā€¦ fix the map on a waypoint make sure its always north up and more cool features ā€¦ but the AGM65 is broken ā€¦ u cant Sensor Select FWD it will not workā€¦ razbam said they found the bug and maybe it will be resolved in a hotfix on friday or ā€¦ till next patch

Some 2.5.1 videos

1 Like

Unannounced AI updates, best updates.

2 Likes

Not sure how to feel about that. Today I finally installed 2.5 and got back into the cockpit again after several months of pause. In VR, with MSAA on the performance hit is still awful and with MSAA off the game look awful with all the jaggies and shimmering. Did they fix the MSAA incompatibility in the 2.5.1 beta to force Deferred Shading on now?

I havenā€™t tested it scientifically, but it would appear that the impact of msaa has been significantly reduced. My frame rate over all appears to be way higher with 4x msaa on than it used to.

Also it seems the lighting issues some modules were having like the mig21s cockpit glass has been somewhat addressed.

Only thing so far Iā€™ve noticed as an issue so far is the FLIR has some weird stuff going on. Probably be a couple updates before 2.5.1 reaches the stable version.