DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

Mine is unpacking about 38 GB at the moment… About a 12 GB download.

EDIT: Total install size of DCS.Openbeta on disk with all toys is 145 GB or so.

Interesting. I wonder exactly what this means? Currently in build if you set clouds at density of 8 or below you only get a small portion of map covered in cotton balls. Does it mean they got rid of that and now clouds can cover the whole map?

anyone lose their hornet keybinds with the update, or just me? All other joystick binds are still there, just hornet got cleared out.

1 Like

Gonna back mine up before updating … just to be safe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine got wiped out as well

Yikes, thanks fit the heads up!

Usually that mean they added some key-stroke functions…
Or It’s just me?

usually. In this case I’ll bet it was the NVG commands.

So could there be a small patch to address that loss of key binds or are we basically just going to be required to live with the loss? If it’s the former, I may just wait to update.

Forgot to take off the VR mod before the update - wondered where my FPS went. I read that it still works, so will put it on again I guess…

2 Likes

I doubt it’s considered a big enough deal to warrant a patch. In the scheme of things it’s not that difficult to just remap the controls.

Did you use a mod installer?

No. I used to use JSGME, but this has been my only mod I’ve used in a long time, so figured I’d just have to reapply it.

It’s an odd one, because the Mods\terrains..\metacache files in the install folder only need to be removed just to force DCS to actually look at and recompile all the shader files again from the changed .hlsl source files - it’s why it takes so long compared to a normal install at start-up.

1 Like

For people whose main hobby is not playing DCS but who occasionally want to join in the fun, it’s stuff like this that makes it a hassle. I speak from experience trying to fly with ‘more casual’ pilots.

On topic:
Don’t forget to turn off your mods! I know I always forget that, let’s hope It remember this time

In my experience DCS (or Arma, or anything with sufficiently complex controls), could be a one button install and people who aren’t motivated will find excuses. :slight_smile: If you don’t use Cougar MFDs, the Hornet is fully functional with about 25 buttons OTOH.

The PG map is looking great. It looks like the clouds respond to the base elevation setting in the mission editor much better now, which is cool. You can set them much lower then before. I also lost my key bindings, but thankfully I do nightly backups. Will try to restore later.

“All terrains are updated”

Any ideas what all this includes? A little more detail would be nice.

1 Like

I know they’ve been messing with lighting on the pg map, that might have gotten pushed out to the other maps perhaps?

Changing “G for gear” to “G for grenade” was one of the most boneheaded moves of all time.

5 Likes

Also: Funny as hell.

4 Likes

Hahaha that’s amazing! Talk about a practical joke by the devs.

1 Like