DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

I want to hear more about this minicampaign, since it’ll be several more hours before I can get home and load up…

Soon… It’s 13GB and pretty crowded on the net.

tenor

3 Likes

I did some more fiddling with the SA-2 and am happy to report I did get it to work!

I made a battery of five launchers and a Fan Song targetting radar. Also a P-19 search radar and a CP (command post) vehicle.

The first test, it locked me up some, but lost the lock easily and never launched.
Next I set all units’ skill to “excellent” and lo and behold! They fired at me like bottle rockets! Big SAMs! easy to jink out of their way too lol.

The Fan Song turns slowly, so you can “outfly” it if you get close.

Rockeyes do joos’ fine sah against the launchers, the fan song and the other stuff.

Taking a look at the SP missions for Hornet now.

You see any P-18 or P-12 search radars added?

Nope, didnt see those

Flew the first mission in the campaign. Seems pretty fun. The setting is the Black Sea, December 1989. Georgia is tired of being a part of the USSR and seceded. Now Red tanks are all lined up at the Inguri river. You’re on the Stennis to support this new and free nation.

Ready to roll

Tomcats, Phoenixes, Backfires, Kitchens and SM-2’s doing their thing north of the CVBG while we get vectors to head elsewhere.

Dropping the bag as I prep for a BVR duel.

Fox-1 on a low bandit

I won’t be spoiling the rest :slight_smile: The folder reveals this campaign is 5 missions long (and judging from the titles of the missions and playing the first one, pretty action packed). The briefings are pretty nicely made but there seems to be no voice acting.

6 Likes

Anyone had any luck with the Silkworms? I’m not getting them to engage ships.

Starting Friday, 28 September 2018 and lasting until 1 October 2018, play DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, DCS: Persian Gulf Map, and the Su-33 for DCS World for free! The Hornet and Su-33 include all the missions and campaigns as the purchased versions, and they can be played in both single player and multiplayer modes. Enjoy!

If you do not already own one of these modules, we hope you will take advantage of this great opportunity and try out a new DCS World module and consider a purchase.

Download and try out from either our e-Shop or Steam.

DCS World e-Shop:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/

DCS World Steam Edition:

7 Likes

Now that is a smart move. I sure hope those of you on the fence about the Bug take advantage of that!

3 Likes

Overall, good patch. Radar seems improved. I actually killed a tank with Rockeyes. All the the bugs I noticed with the SA-2 and Silkworm have already been reported. Nice

7 Likes
1 Like

Steam Free weekend active now!

Due to technical issue, the free weekend is active right now on Steam, those interested in getting it on Steam, go get it now!

5 Likes

Free weekend for everyone!

Starting Friday, 28 September 2018 and lasting until 1 October 2018, play DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, DCS: Persian Gulf Map, and the Su-33 for DCS World for free! The Hornet and Su-33 include all the missions and campaigns as the purchased versions, and they can be played in both single player and multiplayer modes. Enjoy!

Ron Zambrano (RAZBAM) has put that pic on your FB

6 Likes

Is that the OV-10 pit… If yes awesome…

Free weekend for everyone is UP NOW!

Going to try the PG map…

2018-09-28%2014_44_01-Digital%20Combat%20Simulator

1 Like

DCS World Newsletter - 28 September 2018

Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, and Su-33 Free Weekend!

Starting today and lasting until 1 October 2018, play DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, DCS: Persian Gulf Map, and the Su-33 for DCS World for free! The Hornet and Su-33 include all the missions and campaigns as the purchased versions, and they can be played in both single player and multiplayer modes. Enjoy!

If you do not already own one of these modules, we hope you will take advantage of this great opportunity and try out a new DCS World module and consider a purchase.

For install any of those modules please see into Module Manager in the game.

DCS World e-Shop

DCS World Steam Edition

DCS World Open Beta Update

This week we updated the DCS World Open Beta to version 2.5.3.22176. Important additions and fixes to this week’s Open Beta include:

• SA-2 SAM, Rapier SAM, HY-2 Silkworm anti-ship cruise missile and P-19 search radar added.
  • Persian Gulf Map updated with oil platforms, natural gas platforms, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, and Aldar Headquarters building. More to come!
  • Includes new Hornet mini-campaign.
  • Hornet air-to-air radar improvements for retaining lock with hard maneuvering, and resolved locking target when at high roll angles. Note: work continues on oddities with b-sweep in some conditions.
  • Mk-82Y (high drag with ballute) added to the Hornet inventory.
  • R-77 / AA-12 air-to-air missile guidance improved.
  • Mk-20 and CBU-99 Mk-118 submunition effectiveness increased.
  • Several AJS-37 Viggen additions.

Please see the complete changelog on the DCS forum

DCS World Helicopter Autumn Sale Pack Final Days

Running just two more days, until September 30th, 2018, we are offering all four DCS World helicopters for just $69.99! Normally a $199.96 value; this is a 65% saving on each helicopter. DCS World offers some of the most realistic helicopter simulations available on the PC, and nothing compares to the helicopter combat environment that DCS World offers.

You can purchase from our e-Shop

We are also offering the same bundle sale from ourDCS World Steam Edition page

Please see our sale video

Aircraft Flight with Folded Wings Explanation

With the release of DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, we’ve observed some confusion and false-assumptions regarding how an aircraft can fly, or even take off, with its wings folded up. The answer: physics.

For folded-wing aircraft’s flight characteristics, we conducted calculations for the wings and stabilators in XFLR5 software. The calculations were done using VLM (Vortex Lattice Method) with a non-viscous flow model. The program then determines the characteristics of the linear area of lifting force dependence based on the angle of attack. For horizontal flight, we have the following equation to calculate how the forces are balanced in the vertical plane:

ρv2/2 SСL= mg

The calculations show us that the folded wing configurations results in a 30% reduction in the coefficient of lift. To compensate for this reduction in horizontal flight lift, we need to either increase the angle of attack by 42% or increase the velocity 19%. Because the folded portion of the aircraft resides behind the center of gravity, a folded wing configuration results in reducing the negative pitching moment, which will also result in a reduced rotation speed at takeoff.

Initially, we didn’t take into account the fuselage, stabilators, and flaps lift capabilities, which all add to the total lifting force.

Unfolded wing

Folded wing

For an aircraft with non-folded wings and mass of 35,000 pounds and 8 degrees of angle of attack, the velocity to create the lifting force would be 186 knots without taking into account the fuselage, stabilators, and flaps. For an aircraft with folded wings and a mass of 35,000 pounds and 8 degrees of angle of attack, the estimated velocity for creating lift is 222 knots (i.e. 186 +19% = 221,34 knots). In our model, the velocity for a mass of 35,000 pounds and an angle of attack of 8 degrees is 205 knots due to the fuselage, stabilators, and flaps.

4 Likes

OK…so I just got the SU-33…already had the Hornet and PG map. Given the statement above, may I assume that the Su-33 will disappear (or turn into a pumpkin) at the stroke of midnight on 1 OCT?

…and has anybody seen the glass slipper I dropped?

Check with the mice.

So, mini fly-in this weekend? Stennis and Kuznetsov steaming in the same formation, and zany misadventures of carrier ops?

1 Like