DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

I just wish there was more commonality in controls.

At a bare minimum, universal controls like pitch, yaw, roll, canopy, gear, flaps, etc could all share a single control set. I mean landing gear is G. It’s always G. It’s never NOT G. So if I map switch X on my throttle to gear, it’s a major PITA to go to every single plane and map that switch every time the controls get wiped or there is a change in peripherals. There are a couple without gear like the Huey, but it’s the exception.

Sure, if I wanted to program the sticks using software so that switch just generates “G” I could try that, but let’s face it–some HOTAS software is just inferior to programming it in game. Especially if you would need to have a profile for each flyable which could require disconnect/exit/restart/reconnect if you switch.

I wish DCS mapped controls by system instead of platform. Map controls for the Shkval once and every plane that uses it will have those controls ready. Map EO controls once and every Flanker, Fulcrum, and whatever share it. ED’s sims have been the only ones I’ve had this issue with. All the others, WWI, WWII, Korea, helos, modern jets, you name it, have made each flyable link to the universal controls, with a control needed for a new one just added to the universal list.

Of course, I’m sure by this point it’s too late for them to change it. But as someone who recently went from a G940 (after almost 9 years) to an X-56 system, the sheer volume of controls that need to be mapped for each plane, which has no influence on the next plane, is overwhelming. Many a night I’ve gone to fly a plane only to discover throttle/rudder/stick cross coupling crashes me because I’d not gotten around to mapping the Su-27 or the J-11 or the A-10A or the Viggen yet.

So, there’s something weird going on and I don’t know what. DCS runs at a happy and high framerate and then just drops to 20 seconds of nothing all of a sudden. I’ve only been flying the harrier so perhaps it’s related to that, I am not sure. The Fire Brigade - River Defence mission ran fine for me a 3 months ago or so but right now is almost unplayable due to this. Anyone got any clue’s on what to do?

Not a clue, but I was suddenly getting stutters last night, after several months of butter-smooth running.

Right, I only started flying this week again after a small hiatus but kept the updates up. Maybe I should run a repair command and see what that brings me. I got an SSD earlier and that helped a lot, not sure what to do now. Perhaps it’s not the memory where it is chocking.

EDIT: Repair did nothing so that’s good I suppose.

After I update, do I need to reapply the VR shaders mod or does the update not touch those files?

Perhaps? I tend to delete the MetaShaders2 and Fxo folders in Saved Games every now and then to allow the game to rebuild them according to the latest version. Never noticed any positive or negative effect but for some people it helps.

Air Combat Simulation Gaming

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the opportunity to fly a high-performance military jet fighter but now anyone can enjoy the incredibly realistic air combat simulation platforms available on the market today. From the astonishingly accurate aircraft recreation to the flawless graphics and imagery, air combat simulation is the next best thing for military aircraft aficionados, and without the long deployments!

On this episode, Mr. Matt Wagner of Eagle Dynamics joins us to discuss one of the most popular and most realistic platforms available today: Digital Combat Simulator. We cover how DCS came to be and what’s coming in the future. We also observe our host Jell-O try the Lot 20 F/A-18C simulation for the very first time while describing just how close it compares to the real thing (hint: it’s pretty darn close and his two years out of the cockpit really show!).

During the abbreviated listener question segment we address why some squadrons refer to themselves as “World Famous” and how fighters deal with contrails in tactical situations. …and speaking of gaming, if you want something a little more casual, check out Sky Knights created by one of our Swedish listeners.

Cover art DCS screen capture by Matt Wagner. Episode music by Jaime Lopez.

2 Likes

Yes.

And, the mod has been updated. Check the ED forum for a new download. It’s in the first post.

3 Likes

Also get to know the voice of Jell-O, as he will be the voice of you future LSO in DCS World.

11 Likes

That’s awesome!

On the issue of controls, after talk with the devs, the recommended action is to remove all profiles from Saved Games, and use the supplied ones. From there you can rebind as needed. Its not recommended to use old profiles at all, at this point.

Sorry guys, I wish there was a way to save the old profiles, but looks like this is the best solution.

2 Likes
2 Likes

ouch, that’ll be a painful exercise!

is about how happy i am about this :angry:

The first ever MMA fight was against a Xerox.

5 Likes

So, I tried the Mig-29, and that happily runs without problems on the Caucasus but fails to run on the Persian Gulf. I have no idea why performance has been destroyed so badly recently.

DCS World Newsletter - 12 October 2018

DCS: F-14 by Heatblur Simulations Available for Pre-Purchase

Pre-purchase and save $10 from

The DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations is now available for pre-purchase with a $10 discount. Early Access release of a feature-complete F-14B will be this winter.

The Grumman F-14 Tomcat was a two-crew, variable geometry, maritime air superiority fighter that served with the US Navy for 32 years and continues to serve with the IRIAF in Iran. The F-14 was the US Navy’s frontline fighter from the 1970s until the mid-2000s. Over the course of its long service life it also became the US Navy’s premier precision ground-attack platform and lone airborne reconnaissance asset.

Outstanding features of the aircraft are the swing-wing configuration, crew of two, and the powerful AN/AWG-9 Weapons Control System (WCS) and radar. The AWG-9 allows employment of the powerful AIM-54 Phoenix air to air missile while the LANTIRN pod allows the ability to carry out precision ground strikes using laser guided bombs. The F-14 Tomcat was present during many pivotal historic moments such as the two Gulf of Sidra incidents, Operation Desert storm in Iraq, the conflict in Yugoslavia, Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom. It was also immortalized in the iconic motion picture, Top Gun, and starred in several other feature films including The Final Countdown, Executive Decision, and others.

In addition, the Tomcat was also a vital player in the Iran-Iraq war during the 80s, flying for the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force which had acquired the F-14A from the US prior the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/1065/

The Heatblur Simulations F-14A/B Tomcat aims to simulate this iconic aircraft as a high-fidelity module for DCS, being the culmination of several years of research, coding and modelling.

Special points of consideration amongst the many features are the external and internal graphic model created using laser scanning and photogrammetry from real Tomcats at various museums, the detailed modelling of the AN/AWG-9 and the ability to fly as a two-crew aircraft in multiplayer.

Please read the complete feature list here

MiG-29 for DCS World Available Now

This is a free update for Flaming Cliffs 3 customer, or a separate purchase option from DCS e-shop

This week we bring you the long-awaited update to the MiG-29A, MiG-29S, and MiG-29G! This is the last of the major updates to DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) line of aircraft. As with the other updated FC3 aircraft, the MiG-29 now incorporates a Professional Flight Model (PFM) that will continue to undergo development and improvement during the early access period.

Additionally, the MiG-29 cockpit and external model have been greatly improved, and other changes have been made like:

Option for casual gamer flight dynamics that prevents departures to stalls, automatic angle of attack limiter, and a G limiter. While the PFM for the MiG-29 is very realistic, some player may prefer a more forgiving aircraft to fly.

As part of the PFM, we have tuned the available angular velocity of roll.

The braking effect of the braking chute has been increased.

The fuel level in internal fuel tank 1 has been increased.

The MiG-29 “Fulcrum” is a Russian-designed, twin-engine, supersonic fighter. First operational in the early 1980s, the Fulcrum is a “light weight” fighter, comparable to the American F/A-18 Hornet and F-16. Designed to work in conjunction with the larger Su-27 Flanker, the MiG-29 is armed with an internal 30mm cannon and both infrared- and radar-guided air-to-air missiles. For air-to-ground tasks, the MiG-29 can be armed with a large array of unguided bombs and rockets.

In addition to a sophisticated pulse doppler radar, the MiG-29 is also equipped with a passive Infrared Search and Track (IRST) sensor that allows the Fulcrum to detect and target enemy aircraft just based on their infrared emissions. This allows the MiG-29 to make stealthy attacks with no warning!

The Fulcrum is a highly-maneuverable fighter in a dogfight, and when paired with the helmet mounted sight and the AA-11 “Archer” air-to-air missile, it is a very lethal adversary.

The MiG-29 has also been widely exported and has served in many countries that include Germany, Iran, Ukraine, and Poland.

Key Features of the MiG-29 for DCS World:

• A professional level flight model provides unmatched flight physics that allow you to truly feel what it’s like to fly this amazing aircraft. Designed and tested by a former MiG-29 pilot!
  • A true model of the MiG-29 flight control system that allows you to perform the “cobra” and other “out of the envelope” maneuvers.
  • Highly detailed, six-degrees-of-freedom (6 DOF) cockpit.
  • Accurate MiG-29 Fulcrum model, squadron markings, and weapons.
  • Includes instant action, single missions, and a campaign.
  • Battle the Hornet in head-to-head combat.

Note: The MiG-29 for DCS World is identical to the MiG-29 in Flaming Cliffs 3. Owners of FC3 do not need to purchase.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/1066/

The main differences in the new PFM against SFM MiG-29

SFM had very basic stability/controllability model, where stick deflection defines required g-load (1 g auto-trim system).

In real life, the MiG-29 is a plane with natural positive stability without any g-load feedback (as Su-27, for example) with additional longitudinal stability augmentation system (LSAS) and dampers.

MiG-29 PFM carefully models real plane longitudinal stability and controllability characteristics of the plane itself as well as LSAS algorithms.

Lateral and directional stability and controllability were tuned as well.

The true effect from leading edge slats was added.

To model the distinctive features of the plane aeroelasticity effect were added for ailerons together with the limited ability of the actuators.

Roll rate is dependent on AoA and dynamic pressure and is very close to the real prototype.

The plane has a very pronounced effect of ground proximity to its longitudinal controllability, which is modelled.

Stick limiter algorithm is fundamentally changed in comparison to SFM to have it like the real thing.

Autopilot modes are made closer to the real.

What to do:

• Fine tuning of lateral and directional stability/controllability.
  • Engine fine tuning to adjust thrust for 70-80% rpm range.
  • High AoA and post-stall effects and behaviour tuning.

DCS World 2.5 Open Beta Update

This week’s Open Beta release saw some key changes that include:

• Introduced the updated MiG-29.
  • Increased range of the new HY-2 Silkworm anti-ship missile to 100 km.
  • Added the reload times of the SA-2 SAM and HY-2.
  • Increased launch rate of the Ticonderoga.
  • Improved AI taxi logic on the carrier deck.
  • Flight model improvement of the drag curve, motor performance, and dynamic launch zone of the AIM-9L/M Sidewinder.
  • Several AJS-37 Viggen and MiG-21bis fixes and improvements.
  • Corrected Hornet TDC moving to stow position after target breaks a lock, aerial refueling Instant Action missions, adjusted TCTS pod drag value, radar B-Sweep no longer moves outside the tactical area, the B-Sweep returns to normal scan after the radar loses lock (B-Sweep hang after an undesignate key break lock already fixed this month).

You can read the complete change log on the DCS forum

We are on track to have the JHMCS with AIM-9X, FPAS page, fixed antenna logic, and AGM-65E and AGM-65F for the Hornet by the end of this month. In parallel, the HARM and ATFLIR pod are being developed, but these are complex tasks and will take longer.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and DCS: Persian Gulf Map Bundle Option

In addition to the standard bundle pack of the Hornet, Persian Gulf map, and the Su-33, we are now offering a separate bundle pack of just the Hornet and Persian Gulf map for just $79.99! This is a $129.98 value!

For those that already own the Su-33 as part of Flaming Cliffs 3 or the stand-alone Su-33 for DCS World, this bundle pack is for you.

Please find the offer on our e-Shop

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/special_offers/

Persian Gulf Blue Flag Event

We are proud to announce our participation in the next official event for Blue Flag: Persian Gulf! We have continued to add to and optimize the DCS: Persian Gulf map, and it’s now ready for its first official Blue Flag event.

We will be making a free Eagle Dynamics module available to the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of each coalition. We and our friends at the Buddyspike team are working tirelessly to bring you more and more features, improved game play, and an even better multiplayer dynamic simulation.

Players are pitted against each other in a battle to control the region with over 50 airfields and FARPs to capture along with carriers to defend and attack - this will be the biggest BlueFlag yet!

The official round will be starting October 19th at 18:00 UTC and progress can be followed live on the BuddySpike Gadget available here along with more information about the Online Persistent Dynamic Campaign. The round will run for two weeks with victory handed to the coalition holding the most bases at the end of the round - or if the map is entirely conquered. To register for your coalition - just join the BlueFlag PG server and type Red or Blue in the DCS Chat. See you in the Skies!

7 Likes

Guess it’s time to try the MiG-29 again this weekend!

1 Like

…And not a word about the controlpocalypse. Thats some bad communications there.

1 Like

Thanks for always connecting us to the developers of DCS, @NineLine ! Much appreciated!

I have a question about this recommendation: By “old profiles”, do you mean pre-2.5.x or do you mean “from before Wednesday’s update”?

1 Like