DCS 2.5 Update Thread

dcs

Tested this out - nothing happens. It’s kinda like holding your mouse on a button on the PC. If you click, drag it away and release it won’t click the button (at least in programs I have used).

DCS World Newsletter - 18 January 2018

DCS: Christen Eagle II by Magnitude 3 LLC Available for Download

Purchase from DCS e-shop

Fly the Christen Eagle II today! The Christen Eagle II, which later became the Aviat Eagle II in the mid-1990s, is an aerobatic biplane aircraft that has been produced in the United States since February 1977.

Designed by Frank Christensen, a veteran WW2 P-51D pilot and aerobatic competitor, it was originally built to compete with the Pitts Special. You’ll find that the Eagle is hard to beat in terms of flying excitement and adventure, and yet the ease of control allows even average pilots to feel like masters of aerobatics.

Although DCS World is a combat simulation as its focus, it is certainly not limited to only military aircraft. We are delighted to bring the Christen Eagle II and other civil aircraft into our simulation and expanding what DCS can offer.

DCS World Open Beta Update

Our first Open Beta since the holiday, this week’s update is a big one! Principle items include:

• Launch of DCS: Christen Eagle II
  • Improved multiplayer experience when dealing with client-side packet loss.
  • Corrected Windows MR cross-eyed image.
  • F/A-18C Hornet changes:
    • added AGM-88C HARM in Self-Protect mode
    • new missions
    • improved mini-stick response for Thrustmaster Warthog throttle
    • corrected VVI indication
    • corrected LEX vapors
    • adjusted ACM mode switching
    • completed DUD cue logic
    • removed incorrect dual carriage for GBU-16.
  • Numerous updates and fixes to the M-2000C, AV-8B NA, AJS-37 Viggen, MiG-21bis, C-101, Yak-52, UH-1H, and Mi-8MTV2.
  • Updates to the L-39 Kursant, P-51D Blue Nose Bastards of Bodney, M-2000C Red Flag, A-10C Stone Shield, and Museum Relic campaigns.

You can read the full changelog here

Sincerely,
The Eagle Dynamics Team

So, the “rumor mill” has it that maybe Black Shark might be updated via Black Shark 3 and might perhaps be a paid upgrade. All speculation based on a little blurb in the Russian ED forums that has since been removed. Any upgrade of the Ka-50 would be a Day 1 buy from me since it is my most beloved module and I would say those older modules like the Ka-50 and A-10C deserve to be updated and I can totally understand an upgrade/update fee.

It depends… If they add A2A capabilities to Black Shark then I will pay :slight_smile:

I think that existing owners of the module(s) should be allowed a discount for an upgrade, but I do understand why free updates for modules forever can’t really work out. I only hope this means they’re finally looking at ditching Starforce across the board, because there’s a few aircraft I’d happily pay full price for now if they only moved to the new DRM system.

I bought the old BS1 and then the upgrade I won’t object to paying for it a 3rd time if they do a good job :grinning:

The whole BS1 to BS2 Upgrade caused alot of drama, dont think they’d go that route again.

Not officially stating anything, but the recent modules that have been updated, had prices increase, but current owners got the updates at no cost.

Ka-50 and A-10C were already said to be getting cockpit and external model revamps, so theu would likely tweak and update some systems with newer code as well.

Everything will be EDs DRM, starforce is being removed from everything eventually.

I think the way ED handled the updates on the WW2 modules was a great idea. All owners of them got them for free while those who will now buy them afterwards will do so at the increased price thus funding the extra work.I don’t think that’s unfair.

There are several modules that are showing their age and seem to have been forgotten with regards to bugs or promised features that for some reason have gone by the way. It’s a bit of a touchy subject I know but personally for a few extra euros or using a similar method as above I would be happy to see them solved.

Would love the Black Shark to be upgraded, it’s one of my favourites.

It is a touchy subject, agreed - I think it’s one of those things that if you run the communications right, don’t do it too much and package it right, you can justify it.

Say you want to spend manhours upgrading the Ka-50 and you’d like some revenue out of it.

Give the community a heads up beforehand and engage in a bit of chat about it to let people be heard a little bit. Show the work involved during development to make people see the value add. Charge a discounted price for previous module owners. Maybe add a new system or weapon and a short campaign too to justify the cost.

Some people will always grumble but the average adult consumer will probably appreciate that nothing comes for free if they have something tangible for their buck.

If you just shove it to the community without any courting, that’s when the entitled ones really heat up and even the moderates will get a bit miffed.

While there’s a lot of reasons to not like it - what about the potential of a subscription based system?

I admit for those with many modules, it would get expensive, but there could be some sort of bundle system like “pick 5 for X” etc.

Wouldn’t have to be monthly, but could be annual or both. One potential advantage would be you could try a module for one “period” and if it’s not your thing, don’t renew.

It could make a steadier revenue stream rather than the waves that they get now, following module releases.

The system has been used my Microsoft, Autodesk and Adobe with success. And I must admit, Office 365 has been nicer than buying new version every couple years. I also pay $20 US a month for Adobe Dreamweaver, rather then a few hundred dollar license that’s out of date in a few years.

I’ve bought many games in the past that eventually are shelved, but simulators like FSX (where I spent countless hours) and now DCS are worth me investing in new hardware - so I don’t have an issue with continued investment in the software either.

I’m leery of the idea of a subscription based system, especially with the current nature of DCS. If I have to pay a fee per year or month, then I expect substantial upgrades in the experience. I don’t think ED has the resources to provide that. Plus, we have people who have sank thousands into DCS; do they get something like a 10 year subscription as compensation for what they’ve spent?

Now, if ED can prove they’re on-task with updates, improvements to the base game, etc. then I could get onboard for something like a 3 year plan. But that’d mean full access to everything within those three years, and I’d expect that Early Access no longer means waiting more than a year for completion.

I realize it would be a complicated system to implement, and that you would also spend more in the long run than we currently have been with licenses. Part of the funding though obviously account for maintenance and updates, like what is potentially happening with the KA-50, and eliminate the need for “pay again for the next update” problem.

Definitely not a solution for the short term - your points prove that. I’m thinking more of down the line perhaps, should DCS keep growing. Only larger businesses can pull off the subscription model, since they are far more established and able to provide the expected support. The examples I gave all make what is essentially “standard” business software.

Another point I’d like to mention in favor though - subscription models can have lower entry costs, and maybe that could bring more players to DCS when you aren’t turned away by your favorite aircraft having a $100 price tag (Hornet is $103.71CAD on steam as of today for example). Also, would it not be easier to create free trial periods when the license system is already using time-limits?

This is actually something I could get onboard with. The TF-51 and Su-25T, frankly, suck for selling DCS; the community A-4E mod has done a better job of selling it than either of those two ever have. If they introduced a 15 minute time limited F/A-18C, Ka-50, and P-51D, I suspect they’d make much better overall sales.

I can’t quite remember the exact details, but pretty sure ED already did a free trial on Steam for the F/A-18C? It was due to the new DRM and being able to now do some time-based try out period.

Hamfistedly, yeah. They could do a free weekend every quarter, randomly pick a module and roll with it.

I mean, account assigned licenses and stuff like that could be good for free trials, but it’s also commonly used for gamification and unlock tiers etc. Be careful what you wish for I guess. :slight_smile:

The Ka-50 doesn’t have A2A? I seriously thought you just used the guns. I should probably read the manual. :grin:

I think supposedly the real thing (well, that helo family) has R-73 capability - which would be pretty awesome. Shame about no RWR but still.

The Ka-50 or the Ka-52? The 52 I could believe as it’s in active use compared to the mostly-abandoned Ka-50.

However, I think they may be forced to grandfather in the current owners because of the difficulty in having two different versions of the same plane in the game at once. To maintain the legacy 50 for those who bought it but don’t want to pay for the upgrade AND the new one is twice as much work.

The only other option would be to kill the old one off and that would NOT go over well.