DCS 2.5 Update Thread

dcs

I gotta admit. I can’t wait for the Ka-50 improvements to come down the pipe.

The Ka-50 is my backup. Whenever I’m in MP and there are a bunch of planes I don’t really know, and I don’t want to fly the one or 2 there that I do know, I can always jump back into the 50 and fly without thinking. After over a decade it’s muscle memory now, more than even the A-10.

That’s because while I STILL need to learn TGP in the A-10C (I tend to use it like an A-10A), I know the Shkval in the 50/25T just fine and can do ripple-fire passes with ease.

My most neglected plane–the Su-25 non-T. I probably haven’t flown it since the first year FC3 came out!

My most neglected machine is the Mi-8. Just never gotten around to learning it. There’s always fighter stuff to do, and tbh that ranks just a little higher on my list than choppering around rubber dog excrement in a clanging collection of spare parts begging to spread themselves all over the landscape.

I can’t say that I learned the Mi8 thoroughly, but it is a lot of fun to fly, especially in VR. Sooooo many switches!

While I haven’t flown the 25s in a good while, at least I have hours in them.

The MiG-21, F-86, Viggen, and AV-8…I have less time in all 4 put together than the 25. :disappointed:

The Mi8 is a real man’s chopper :sunglasses:

Yeah - me too. I just enjoy the process of bringing it to life…and the pace of operations with it. I should really just resign myself to being an Mi-8 or Huey driver in some sort of logistics role on Blue Flag (that is a part of it isn’t it?). It would probably be where I’d find my most enjoyment…

Yep, and its the fun part.

Especialy planing the route - avoiding all the threats along and at the same time keeping it the shortest route. As the situation on the batlefield is constantly on the move :slight_smile:

If I had to do it all over…I would have only purchased the Mi-8 for helicopters and the Viggen, Mig-21 and Mig-19 for fighters. I’ old. The more systems there are to earn, the more"opportunity" I have to forget stuff. :grin:

DCS: F-14 Tomcat Released and Other News

DCS: F-14 Tomcat Released
The F-14 Tomcat developed by Heatblur Simulations is now available for download from DCS World e-Shop

Heatblur Simulations Store

Steam Store

Pre-launch Video

F14-350

New pre-launch video: The Grumman F-14 Tomcat is a two crew, variable geometry, maritime air superiority fighter that served with the US Navy for 32 years and continues to serve with the IRIAF in Iran. The F-14 was the US Navy’s frontline fighter from the 1970s until the mid-2000s. Over the course of its long service life, it also became the US Navy’s premier precision ground-attack platform and lone airborne reconnaissance asset.

More screenshots

Outstanding features of the aircraft are the swing-wing configuration, crew of two, and the powerful AN/AWG-9 Weapons Control System (WCS) and radar. The AWG-9 allows employment of the powerful AIM-54 Phoenix air to air missile while the LANTIRN pod allows the ability to carry out precision ground strikes using laser-guided bombs. The F-14 Tomcat was present during many pivotal moments such as the two Gulf of Sidra incidents, Operation Desert Storm in Iraq, the conflict in Yugoslavia, Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom. It was also immortalized in the iconic motion picture, Top Gun, and starred in several other feature films including The Final Countdown, Executive Decision, and others.

Top 10 Things to Know About DCS World

As DCS World continues to grow and increase in popularity, new users often have similar questions about the game. This video is designed to answer the 10 most common questions we see.

Find your answers to these and other questions here :

1. Do I need a HOTAS to play?
  2. Does DCS World support Virtual Reality?
  3. Can I use Track IR with DCS World?
  4. Does DCS World allow multiplayer?
  5. How do I set up controllers?
  6. Do I have to start up the aircraft every time?
  7. Are there Free Flight modes?
  8. Is there a Mission Editor included?
  9. Are tutorials included?
  10. What is DCS World?

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 Content Refresh
Recent DCS World open beta releases have brought a massive refresh of our Flaming Cliffs 3 mission content. All Flaming Cliffs 3 Instant Action and Single Missions have been updated or re-built from scratch to ensure they still conform to their original design and play out as intended. Improvements and features you may notice include:

• Improved communications with ‘allied flight reports’ enabled
  • Re-balanced mission success criteria
  • Improved AI reliability while executing their mission tasks
  • Battlefield effects and airfield activity to give the world a more ‘lived in’ feel Our campaign content has not been forgotten.
  • The changes were to the missions only so in-progress campaigns should pick up right where they left off. A similar refresh for older campaigns will take place as the year progresses.

SATAL 2019, Squadron Air to Air League, commences air operations on Saturday, April 6th at 1400z!

Following the success of previous SATALs, the members of SATAL 2019 are excited to kick off this year’s competition. Eagle Dynamics is the official sponsor, and tremendous prizes from Eagle Dynamics, Heatblur, Thrustmaster and others will be available. This year is set to be bigger than ever!

SATAL is a Player vs Player (PvP) competition that pits the best DCS World virtual squadrons against each other. Squads fight for domination of the skies in 6 vs 6 Diamond League and 4 vs 4 Gold League matches.

The matches will be streamed every Saturday and Sunday at 1400 GMT. The first viewer-giveaway will be a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS! This giveaway can be entered at, https://bit.ly/2TFQanv. Further prizes and viewer-giveaways will be announced soon.
View the current signup, prize pool, and match schedule here.

DCS World Open Beta Update
This week we released a new Open Beta of DCS World that includes such highlights as:

• Added support for the Heablur Simulations DCS: F-14 Tomcat.
  • Updates to the RAZBAM MiG-19P to include cockpit systems, cockpit art and effects, external model, animations, and its manual. Changes to the M-2000C and AV-8B are also included.
  • Improvements to the AvioDev C-101.
  • Changes to the Hornet that include numerous improvements to the datalink and IFF systems. We also added the target designation box to the HUD for the HARM in TOO mode, and corrected the wind-induced roll.

You can read the complete change log on DCS forum.

Sincerely,
The Eagle Dynamics Team

Has the new turbulence feature gone live yet? If so how does one turn it on and off?

According to Wag’s appearance on the Alert 5 podcast, it is still WIP.

Wingtip vortices affect the Tomcat when refuelling, for example.

Since the last update on the OpenBeta my DCS often crashes when I shut it down.
Is that a known bug? Repair seems to do nothing.

Same. I’m averaging about 1 time in 3.

I had that issue too. I did a complete reinstall and it seems to have fixed that issue and a couple more I had. But I updated from 1.3ish to 2.5 then used skates updater and went to beta. So I had a few more issues then that.

I found out the reason for me it seems:
The A-4 mod.

Since I removed it (I am busy flying other stuff anyway) DCS hasn’t crashed.

Just tried this and removing the A-4 mod didn’t fix my problem. Still hangs on shutdown every now and again.

Did you run repair/cleanup after it?
Maybe it is coincidence but that’s what I did.

Tried; no dice. I think the latest beta just has some general issues and it doesn’t affect much beyond forcing me to close it down every now and again in the task manager.