DCS 2.5.X Screenshots (2018)

Indeed it is

In the bottom shot, you should have waited until the virtual FOD walk down line passed by…it would have given the shot more “life” :wink:

Seriously, great shots!

4 Likes

Been spending virtually all of my simming time recently getting reacquainted with this beautiful plane.

Nothing wrong with a bit of practice, right?

One of my favorite crazy things you can do in this jet is make the HUD your SOI, and then have the Integrated Flight and Fire Control Computer (IFFCC) generate the SPI. This will make the calculated impact point your sensor point of interest. You can then make your TGP the SOI and slave it to the SPI generated by the IFFCC. This basically turns the litening pod into a giant flying rifle scope that is FLIR capable. Just put the thing on the thing and pull the trigger.

These guys are in a world of hurt. My gun pass was calmer than usual as I didn’t get to look at the incoming tracers. I also really appreciate the new BRRRRT sounds we’ve got some time ago :slight_smile: Never saw them in any changelogs, though.

11 Likes

I really like the shot of the ground carnage. Nice!

3 Likes

Doing some simple practice missions to learn the A-10C. I had less reading to do at the Naval War College.

More ground carnage for @bisher …although not as good. The IL-76 damage was the work of M-82AIRs which barely touched the APCs lined up to be loaded. However, the flaming ruins of armor and MRLs in the background was the world of a CBU-97. Clearly the right tool for the job.

Yesterday’s practices included a couple of ZSU-23s - no radar, just the Mark I Mod 0 eyeball. That said, after the 3rd pass using the same profile, Mr. Average had me dialed in. At least I got the gear down, although the left main mount was unsafe until I used the emergency lock. Yes, the Right engine is out, safely shut down. No fire light but I was training smoke so I pulled the handle and hit the extinguisher anyway…it cleared the smoke (and reduced my virtual carbon footprint).

Safe on the ground at the divert, although needless to say, with two shot up main mounts, I ran off the runway. I count 4 big holes: 2 in the engine, 1 in the starboard flaps and 1 in the port elevator.

9 Likes

13 Likes

Fire the gun to shorten the landing!

3 Likes

Didn’t Ralfi do that in a video once?

Yep lol

He actually landed the 'Hawg on an Aircraft carrier.

Having a smoke. Long night…

5 Likes

It’s funny how well the Su-25 livery fits well on the 'Hawg- given the similar roles and all…

1 Like

That might have worked. It wasn’t an overrun, the plane pulled hard to the left and I went off the asphalt about half way down the runway…the jet pretty much skidded to a stop at that point…any lading you can (virtually) walk away from, etc. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Beside all that, that landing had class. I loved it. :sunglasses:

Actually…it was probably the most entertaining flight I’ve had to date with DCS World.

I got hit–immediately broke hard left - opposite direction of the fire and started a climb.

Master Warning blaring…my lights and instruments, told me Mr. Right Engine wasn’t feeling too good - a look over my shoulder shows me trailing grey smoke–no fire light and no black smoke…pulled the T-handle and emptied an extinguisher anyway. Smoke gone. Out of ground fire danger…and that was just the first 20 seconds.

Taking stock: Gen 2 gone, CDU gone, R MFD gone. TAD is still working…guess that HARS update I did during start up wasn’t a waste of time after all. Manual Map mode, zoom out until I see the nearest friendly airfield, and head for it.

Lets see, from my squadron days they used to say “Aviate, Navigate, Communicate”…I’ve done the first two so…

UHF radio is dead. I suspect the other two are also but try the tower freq anyway…nope, their dead…so much for communicate.

Back to aviate - Darn, forgot to turn off the right fuel pumps and I just got a light on the R wing pump - probably a leak. Set up to transfer what’s left on the right side to the left side just incase I need the gas.

Divert field in sight. Secure the cross feed. Check my munitions MFD page–Surprise! I’ve still got two CBU-87s on my wings (they were supposed to have dropped–the AAA probably hit between the first and second release)…no need tempting fate…I’m over water, a line up for a long straight in, so SJETT to say good by to the bombs.

Pre-landing checklist:

Speed - just under 200 KIAS.

Flaps…um…Flaps…ok never mind about Flaps (left the handle in the mid position).

Gear - Down. Nose, Green, Right (surprisingly) Green, Left…Red. Alternate gear handle; hit lock. Left, Green! (and there was much rejoicing).

While looking in that direction notice that flaps are 15º - Now Flaps full down - the flaps slowly respond…low hydraulics?…whatever, good enough.

Set up for a slightly fast (just incase the flaps decide to go turtle on me). Controls feels good, trim seems ok. A long runway so I tried to flare a bit early and bleed off some speed with asphalt under me…just get the “donut” about the time by main mount tires–rather whats left of them–hit the deck.

Two things I am NOT going to do:

1. pop the airbrakes–no idea what shape they are in, the last thing I need is asymmetric forces.
  2. engage NWS until I’m stopped-it looks like I’ve got good rudders to see me aligned.
    3)…um…three things I am NOT going to do…
  3. stomp on the toe brakes…I touch them lightly with equal pressure…and off I go to the left! :open_mouth:

Yeah, I was probably better off just letting the rims slow me down.

Well, I’m on the nice grass now and totally off the brakes…soft grass + rim main mounts is doing a fairly respectable braking job…nothing in front of me…the jet comes to a stop.

I kill the Left Engine, open the canopy, Battery off…and breath I sigh of relief.

Now that was FUN! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

5 Likes

Dropping a GBU-10 on a ammo depot provides for a lot of good “secondaries” - DCS does a real good job with it with rounds cooking off leaving smoke trails, etc.

Secondaries

Just Borking around in the Viggen:

The Story About This One:
I have been working some BK90 delivery profiles (see the Viggen thread for details). General idea - use terrain masking to get close to a SAM (SA-8) protected site, pop up, launch the BK90s and skedaddle. Had the jammer on and chaff set to auto…but spent just a tad too log straight and level. I saw the missile flash under me. I said a bad word. I pressed pause.

Still this, is pretty cool. The missile took off both canards. It also blew off my drop tank and Sidewinders which can be seen tumbling behind the aircraft. The status tells the tale of my dire predicament I am in: 846 kph at 445m alt. Pitch -16º Bank -91º. AOA is -3.4º and I’m at -2.0 Gs. Engine RPM is 26%…although since I’m pretty much diving into the dirt, it’s not like I’d want it full throttle.

Again, DCS’s damage system is awesome…no, I did not survive this “incident”

8 Likes

And destroying another one… We only had 48 AJS 37, you know.

7 Likes

4 Likes