DCS F/A-18C

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3431943#post3431943

Hornet Live Stream March 25 is Postponed

Due to recent events, the live stream will be postponed to a later date. We’ll update everyone when a new date is set. Thanks for understanding.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update NineLine.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3437724&postcount=45

As we mover ever-closer to the Early Access release of the Hornet, more and more of our work is shifting to the air-to-air radar and weapon systems.

Over the past several weeks, the focus of air-to-air radar work has been on Single Target Track (STT) mode. This is critical for what we plan for the Early Access release. This week, it is initially operational in the simulation, as you can see in the attached. The next big step is to complete the attack radar symbology and data and then the various HUD information. Still very work-in-progress.

Similar to SPI in the A-10C, the Hornet allows you to designate a Target Point (TP) that can then be used to slave sensors and weapons to. There are several ways to create a TP, but the one we are finishing up now is the ability to set a waypoint as a TP using the WPDSG function on the HSI. HSI symbology is complete, as well as most of the HUD data. We just need to set up the target diamond of the TP location when looking through the HUD.

Earlier we talked about the ability to set a course line based on a selected TACAN station or Waypoint by using the course knob. This week we also added the ability to set a course using the UFC… much faster.

Thanks,
Matt “Wags” Wagner

9 Likes

Good update as always

This makes me so happy

EDIT:

Is Waypoint coordinate entry via the UFC planned for Early Access?

What does wspdg mean

Edit, I can’t even spell it right

I’m guessing WayPointDeSiGnation…?

1 Like

This^

Using NL’s terminology, everything attackwise in the Hornet is based of Target Points (TPs). These can be generated by the radar, your HUD, your TGP. In this case, it’s a button on the HSI that takes your currently selected waypoint, and designates it as a target point. In A/G mode that position will show up as a diamond on your HUD, your HSI will show your position relative to it ala the Harrier, you can do CCRP off it, when the time comes your TGP will slew to it and your radar will try to get ranging from it.

The most directly analogous example is what the DMT produces right now in the Harrier.

I’m excited because the ability to take coordinates and generate TPs off of them, combined with the possibility to dynamically enter WP coordinates into the INS, means we will be able to do strike missions in BF ala the Viggen.

2 Likes

Translation: I need to get back into the Harrier and start learning the avionics.

1 Like

In theory, yes, but right now the Harrier’s modelling of this is very incomplete. As in less complete than the info that was just shared.

Ahh sniped by @near_blind.

Yep harrier needs a working ins

Live Stream is back on this Sunday at 9:00am MST!

Will be on Wags’ YouTube channel as before.

4 Likes

Looking forward to it. Will there be an Easter egg again… maybe at time stamp 1.11?

Considering Sunday is April 1st there will be oppertunity to add plenty of easter eggs.

4 Likes

EA release, and nobody believes it… :wink:

3 Likes

I’m actually more looking forward to seeing more of The PG Map…These new pics in the news letter have me stoked!!

1 Like

This thread is huge! And it’s not all just “iwanit, iwanit, iwanit, wenzitcoming, when, huh huh huh?” No this thread has real meat to go along with all the anticipation. I bought it and don’t even care for it. Too modern. But without a bug in my hangar there will be nothing to talk to fellow mudspikers about. It will be like forcing @near_blind to listen to me bloviate about VR.

2 Likes

Anybody enjoying mr Wagners’ dulcet tones atm? He’s livestreaming a little flight in the Hornet around Dubai atm.

That was great. Matt truly is the Bob Ross of flight simulator. I wonder if he has the same calm, happy tone when he’s dropping two thousand pound packages of concentrated freedom and democracy on some poor virtual yokels.

2 Likes

Caught the last 5 minutes.
Getting the pattern just right can be tricky! :wink: Well done Wags, for going around instead of pushing an unstabilized landing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

Just started watching the stream. Looking forward to seeing the hornet.

How do i say this objectively and politely. The map size frightens me. Hoping that maps will grow to a size to encompass the abilities of the aircraft earmarked for release.

[edit]. Ok saw the bit where they are hoping to expand map north and west.