DCS Hawk and C-101 news

Busy last couple of days for the guys at VEAO and AvioDev…some shakeups in both teams and a good bit of news on where they are and where they think they are headed. I know not everyone is a fan of trainers, but I’ve been waiting for the advanced flight models for the Hawk and C-101 with great excitement.

VEAO Update HERE

AvioDev Update HERE

Best of luck to both teams as they forge ahead. Hopefully these problems are learning opportunities that will make subsequent products a bit less painful to develop…

BeachAV8R

Same here.

The crucible of implementation tends to teach a few lessons. I want to see them both pull through this.

Been watching this myself for a while. Always wanted a good trainer to fly. Been waiting for both these trainers to get EFM or PFMs, then I’ll purchase.

I passed on both of these, as I’ve been a bit doubtful of both teams since they first announced they were bringing projects to DCS World. I seriously hope they get the issues ironed out and can make these work- I’d LOVE a Hawk in-game before the Hornet comes out, to role-play the training pipeline of Navy carrier pilots a little bit.

I bought both of them, for the following reasons:

• I buy all modules (ok, that’s a bad reason actually. It is called addiction)
  • I buy every first module from a new 3rd party, as long as I can afford it. (That’s what I pretend at least. See reason one…)
  • The C-101 is used for training F/A-18C pilots in real life (in Spain) which is a nice way of preparing for ED’s F/A-18C
  • The Hawk looks cool. At least from the outside. Beautiful plane.

Although I dislike the SFMs (not especially because they are SFMs but because that causes other things to not work, such as toe brakes) I have to admit they are both fun to fly already. Not as fun as they could be, but ok.
I prefer the C-101 at the moment. It “feels” more detailed, with nice little stuff like the GPU visible, the chocks, and the pilot taking off his helmet on the ground. I wonder why nobody else did that, it adds so much to the immersion.
The cockpit looks nicer (and I don’t mean the textures but how everything is colored and placed).
Ok, the Hawk has weapons already, and the C-101EB hasn’t, but… meh. I just can’t get used to it. Dunno why. I am really excited for the C-101CC.
The sound is also better in the C-101 at the moment, at least in my opinion.

The lack of radio functionality sucks big time though. In both planes.

I am a bit disappointed both aren’t finished yet. I don’t like it but I guess things happen that way. (Anyone noticed the Johnny Cash I snuck in there? :smiley: ) Both will be great once they are finished, I am sure. And I will use both for what they do best in real life: Training without the added complexity of the combat planes. Actually I already do. Night ILS landings with crosswind and fog and all that stuff. Especially the C-101’s instruments are so nicely readable, it is a joy to fly.

1 Like

Agree with pretty much everything you posted @Aginor - I can’t wait for the advanced flight model for both because I know I can wrangle Einstein into flying some formation flights with me in them once they have a proper fidelity FM. :smiley:

And then there will be the bombing and strafe competitions in NTTR…etc…

BeachAV8R