DCS Helo Recommendations

So with DCS having a sale on helos currently, I’m looking at picking up another module. I don’t own any of the helos yet so I’m looking for opinions.

The Gazelle actually interests me the most, but I’m seeing some mixed reviews. The Huey is a classic of course, and seems to be well executed from everything I’ve read. I own BS1, so not sure on spending money to get the KA-50 again, unless it’s a big upgrade. Not sure on the MI-8, but everything I’ve read says it’s well done.

Anyone have an opinion on what helo to get, or at least what to stay away from?

Thanks!

BS2 makes the BS1 compatible with multiplayer: pretty big deal. It’s relatively cheap and worth it IMHO.

Huey: can’t go wrong with that. It’s probably the best platform to learn how to fly helicopters without all those fancy stability augmentation systems. Lots of mission variety. It will teach you the basics and show you the limitations of flying heavy in hot temperatures during summer.

Mi-8: Lotsa power. Lotsa lotsa power. This one is a must too. Pretty much on par with the Huey in terms of mission variety. It’s probably the best helicopter Belsimtek ever did in terms of system complexity. A true masterpiece.

Gazelle: fun helicopter. FM is much improved from what it was initially. More restricted types of mission since the M version is purely anti-tank, the L version anti-infantry and the Mistral anti-helicopter/aircraft. It feels completely different from the Huey and Mi-8: it’s a very small and nimble rotorcraft. The NADIR system is pretty cool and allows you to navigate really well.

If you want to have a better picture of all these different helicopters, I suggest you check this:

http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/#dcs-helos-section

2 Likes

I own both Huey and Mi8 and they’re both absolutely phenomenal AND multirole!
You can go Gunship, eject the empty ammo rack and pickup infantry or some CASEVAC and come back rearmed and go either COIN or CSAR!

What’s not to love?

DISCLAIMER: No Creedence Clearwater Revival tapes are included.

2 Likes

The Gazelle comes with a pretty great stock campaign, too, though I don’t know how well it was ported to 2.5!

I have them all. You can’t really go wrong with any of them. I guess if I had to list them in order of personal preference it would be:

1. UH1, because I just love the smell of Napalm in the morning, accompanied by some stirring Wagner (it is a great module too).

2. Gazelle (because despite any Flight Model short comings, it is a blast to fly, and I like the armed recon mission it is so well suited for). I have also flown in a British Army Gazelle, so I feel a personal connection to this module.

3. Mi8 because it is so old school and has so many switches. It is far more fun to fly than I thought it would be.
    and

4. The Blackshark. The KA50 is neat, and without a doubt the most sophisticated attack Helo in the sim, but it just leaves me wishing it was an AH64.

As I said though, they are all a blast to fly (especially in VR), so you can’t go wrong with any of them. Heck, buy them all. I did! :wink: .

2 Likes

I went ahead and went with first thought and got the Gazelle as a stand-in for the Kiowa (that happens to also shot ATGM). So far a lot of fun to fly on my laptop with a twist grip. When I got some time to put it through it’s paces with my desktop with HOTAS and pedals, man does she handle nice. I’m liking the helo modeling in DCS these days, may get another one before the sale finishes out.

Thanks everyone for their advice!

1 Like

Is the campaign for the Gazelle working in 1.5.8? I’ve sat and waited for the Chinook to load up in the first mission for about 10 minutes, and I’ve tried taking off, same result. Am I missing something?

Problem solved, the campaign broke in the 1.5.5 update. Polychop fixed it, then DCS broke it in the 1.5.6 updated. If you simply move the chinook’s landing point (not it’s waypoint, the little triangle indicating where it lands at that point) using the mission editor, mission runs fine. Just in case anyone else had the same problem.

1 Like