DCS: Normandy WW2

Not sure, but Wags talk about a WW2 Normady navigation system to WW2 aircrafts on progress?

I dont understand Wags about maps and X-Plane / FSX to dcs world?

He’s pretty much asking if Orbx and the likes want to make maps for DCS World :grinning:

1 Like

Nice video, do you think Matt pulls for power :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t wait to fly my whirlybirds around Normandy

i hate bringing this up but it really upsets me that a part in the community is after somekidna Witch hunt against ED and the pre purchase method with the WW2 assets, i just got to say that from my point of view with all the new models being imported in the game all the ww2 ground and AI planes, its like a whole new game, and ppl are complaining about the price.

i know how many hours you can spend on 3d modeling and animation, speaking about my self im doing architectural 3d models and renders and its pretty tuff with many work hours, thinking about it when it comes to a gaming company that got to do that whole thing with animators, artist models and computer scripting takes lots of time, i just think we should fight this and support ED on making us happy and letting us getting our hands on moduels maps and scenarios that are close to reality.

another point i got to make is that im not buying all modules as i dont feel like im going to fly them all and dont have the time, i think ppl should consider that this “Witch hunt:” is bassicaly sometihng that they wont be playing at after all. its not warthunder and not all could be free…

p.s. not trying to flame something in our lovely forum which i got TONS or respect to… just that i feel much more free here to talk about this issue… have a great sunday boys see u in the air :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m really with you on this…

2 Likes

It looks great! I will not buy it. After putting together this expensive rig only to realize it’s just as easy to be bored at 90 FPS as it is at 15, I’ve come to appreciate the importance of the Game. I am not creative enough to build upon a compelling sandbox, no matter how beautiful. Give me a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end. It can be the DC in Falcon, a triggered script like the Georgia Oil War in Black Shark, the Career in Stalingrad/Moscow, or any compelling multiplayer map (which can be a real challenge to find). For sandboxing I go to X-Plane. It has a real-world function in my life so I forgive it for its lack of gameplay. I can practice new airports before I fly them for real or get a taste for a new type of plane as I did with the Pitts. And it pretty much taught me how to fly helicopters.

There are phrases that get tossed about with tones of insult: “sim-lite”, “air-quake”, “bubble”, etc. I find that I am happiest in those realms that hard-core flight sim enthusiasts demean. 35 years and countless thousands of hours playing and writing about flight simulations has oddly enough made me a sim-lite kind of player. I want a story. And a Vietnam era helicopter flying through a deserted 1944 British countryside isn’t it.

Sorry to be such a curmudgeon. It really is stunning.

5 Likes

Indeed, everything looks pretty, but it lacks atmosphere. I think one of the few campaigns that actually manage this are those by Baltic Dragon. Now a UH-1H campaign by him would be something I’m willing to pay for!

1 Like

The DCS sandbox is incredible! Really!
But, the sandbox need more players. And I don’t mean flightsimmers, although they are important too! :wink:
DCS needs more playable content. More missions and campaigns. But someone has to make them, and since DCS is in a more or less eternal development cycle, I think external developer are reluctant to invest resources in what is bound to be a long period of patching and upgrading of their DLC, to keep up with the development of the core. X-Plane saw the same lack of interest before they restructured their development of the core software.

That said, developing software like DCS is impossible without fixing bugs and adding features along the line, so I fail to see how they can do better.
I do hope, however, that 2.5 (or what they will call the unified branch) will bring some stability to DCS and external developers will flock to the scene.

One thing that I really look forward to, and that I think will bring fantastic play-value to DCS WWII Normandy is Wags and Bunyaps Spitfire campaign. I mean…have you seen Bunyaps “Four months in the life of a Spitfire wing” series on Youtube? The level of research is incredible!

2 Likes

Yeah - I think the Great Unification will be a huge relief to everyone and will allow a lot of people to perhaps start some projects that they have otherwise been sitting on.

3 Likes

Wasn’t he “Great Unification” the joining of Black Shark/DCS/Flaming Cliffs (via BS2 and FC3)? Those were the days…

It was intended to showcase the map, not a fully fleshed out mission or campaign… I mean seriously, it seems like people are trying to find things to pick at… You reference a campaign by Baltic Dragon… so that sort of contradicts you right there, its EDs job to give us all the tools (and a few of their own missions and campaigns) and for us, and others to make the game come to life…

I dont know why you continue to contribute to this thread when you clearly only intend to tell people about how you dont want it, perhaps you are trying to convince others they dont want it as well? I dont know…

Can we just agree that none of us have all of the information to make broad determinations about certain aspects of this sim and leave it at that? We don’t need to downgrade this discussion into arguments and counter arguments about things we can not resolve?

2 Likes

Why not wait until the product, missions, and campaigns come out before labeling it? I mean, the purpose of the flight was to just show you what it looked like, not what people will do with it. It’d be the same thing as flying a drone over a closed and deserted Disney World.

A closed and deserted disneyland would be the perfect time for me to visit :smiley:
I dunno each to their own but I am genuinely excited by the new map. When the camera panned around those tanks at the end of the livestream and there was a view down the hill with the countryside just laid out was georgeous. I am excited by both the iconic area for 1944 and the possibilities for more modern day scenario’s I can see a great opportunity for a soviet invasion of Southern England Cold War stylee and also rewritting history and see what happens when the Axis powers attempt a landing in Kent :sunglasses:

1 Like

Me too! And as soon as I get the P-47 it’s going to be even better! :smiley:

1 Like

ohh boy … P-47 “ME … WANT … NOW !!!” ;):heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m also really excited by the map. It’s going to be a lot fun flying the huey NOE, jumping over tree lines :slight_smile:

probably more going to look like this tho

5 Likes

My point was that very few campaigns achieve it well, heck I love DCS otherwise I wouldn’t be so opinionated about it. You seem to tolerate no critique of it .besides I already have bought it… You seem to be very aggressive in your commenting.

2 Likes

Everyone just dial it back or we can lock it down. I gave a bit of latitude, but I don’t want to get into this kind of back and forth here. Thanks.

3 Likes

Sorry Beach, I’ll bow out, not sure what this thread is going for anymore.