DCS Sale: M2000C thoughts?

It seems that now is a great time to pick up the M2000C, but there are other great deals in the current sale. For those of you who already have it, how do you find the Mirage 2000? I’m also interested in the L39 and maybe the MiG15.
The Gazelle is another contender, but the sale price doesn’t provide a huge discount, and so I can pick it up sometime in the future.

The aircraft I already have are:
A10C
P51
UH1
F86
The Flaming Cliffs 3 collection
BAe Hawk
KA50

I also have the NTTR.

So, if I was to just buy one new aircraft in the sale, which would you recommend?

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to pick up the M2000C, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems to be one of the most frequently updated modules to date…they (RAZBAM) really seems to be going after bugs, adding features, and really concentrating on making it a worthy module. And from the reports of people flying it - they love it. I just haven’t really had a moment to get into it.

I’m probably going to pick up the L-39 tonight. I know people aren’t big on trainers…but that thing is awesome.

3 Likes

They’re all different! The Mirage is a modern jet with a fly-by-wire system: wherever you point the nose, there it will go. The L-39 is a trainer - very basic compared to the Mirage, and very underpowered, but a nice and stable plane. The MiG is a 1940s design, a time when ‘ergonomics’ was just a difficult word and all systems were mechanical.

Personally I like the MiG the best - especially after seeing some info on the upcoming ‘Museum Relics’ campaign.

1 Like

Only one I can comment on is the MiG-15bis. I think it’s really well done and a lot of fun like the F-86, actually dare I say it, but I think I kinda enjoy it a little bit more than the Sabre. I’m not in any way shape or form a “jet guy” but it’s real enjoyable. Something I don’t regret for a second paying full price for. Hard to pass up on sale.

1 Like

I’d say she is worth it. A lot of fun to fly. I got her for $42 during the last sale. I know it’s one of the favorites for quite a few virtual pilots around here. Baltic Dragon (from the enemy within) is designing a campaign for this wich will be included with your current purchase.

Like Beach said the rate of updates are awesome. Although sometimes they break stuff too and DCS doesn’t really do any hotfixes.

So, of the three main contenders, we have narrowed it down to three :wink:

It is most certainly a great time to be in this hobby.

Thanks for your observations guys. I really do appreciate your input.

Maybe we can expand the list to four? I don’t see the MiG-21 on your list!

They’re honestly wildly different aircraft. And they’re all excellently made. It’s going to be impossible to advise wich one you would like best unless you have some personal feelings for one aircraft or another.

1 Like

That is a very good point Sryan. I will have to ponder on it some more. If there was a DCS English Electric Lightning module this would be a very easy decision.

Both the M-2000 and MiG-21 are well worth the money.

They’re both actively being updated with new features and bug fixes as they arise.

The MiG shows its age, especially online in open servers, but that makes learning it and getting kills all the more rewarding.

The Mirage will struggle in BVR versus modern opponents but it’s certainly capable at the merge in the right hands.

If I had to recommend one, it’s actually be the 21. It’s not that I think it’s the better module, per se, it’s just at a more finished form right now than the Mirage is.

You can’t go wrong with either, though.

Of those three, I only have the Mirage.
It really depends on what you want, the Mirage 2000 is a true 4th gen fighter. As far as early access is concerned: the only big thing that is still missing is the INS: being able to set and change waypoints on the fly is not possible yet. For the rest, it’s nearly finished and constantly being updated.

Of course, if you think an old school type of plane would get flown more right now, just get the MiG-15 or 21.
And if you have someone you’d like to be your instructor or student for basic flying, get the L-39 right now at this incredible discount (50%).

But you should be aware that you will get a free Baltic Dragon campaign with the full release version Mirage 2000 module. And those are very good!

EDIT for clarity: M-2000C campaign release is waiting for the module to leave early access

Well, I couldn’t narrow it down to just one, so I picked up the M2000C and also the L39. :sunglasses:
Again, thanks very much for all the input and comments.

6 Likes

I am not going to be able to really get into the systems of either aircraft until the end of next week. I can say that the M2000C is a blast to fly at low level through the mountain passes at high speed while using the Rift. :smile: They would probably frown on me tearing down valleys at ultra low level in the Global.

That Mirage is a sexy little beast isn’t she. I’ve been using Starway’s Caucasus DLC and it’s really a pleasure to behold. If what Wags says about what they are working on being similar or better, then this sim will truly be breathtaking.

1 Like

The Mirage is a lot of fun to do just about anything in :smiley:

1 Like

Dang it…you guys made me do it. I can’t believe I held out this long for Nevada to tell the truth…

3 Likes