DCS: Syria

My concern with this new map and the VR FPS stems from past experience with Ugra Media and Normandy.

Until a reviewer gives an honest assessment, in VR, I’m holding off. Its clear though that VR continues to be an afterthought. This is despite it being the future of simming, as it becomes more affordable.

3 Likes

While it is true that Normandy had poor performance, it got a great performance increase after the update, which included switching to the Speedtrees engine.
I guess, and hope, that they learned from that…

I doubt we’ll see any major VR performance enhancements until they revamp the entire graphics engine.
Here’s hoping that this will happen sooner, rather than later… :vr:

1 Like

Does this happen with every shiny new toy? I think so. Do we still want them? YOU BET! The thing is this relationship is based on a level of trust. We give ED money for an unfinished product with the understanding they will finish it in a reasonable amount of time. Most of the time, ED keeps that promise. I beleive they are responsible for making the third parties keep this promise too. There are moments of brilliance in this (F-14, MiG-15) and some not so good moments. But all in all, I continue to trust ED/DCS to give me what I pay for and I am satisfied(sometimes eventually satisfied) by thier products. What this brings to mind is the Channel Map. A few weeks ago i purchased the Channel Map. Its taken a couple of patches but it really looks good now and I can build missions on it. There may be some performance issues in the begining but it will get sorted out. I think what ED does not expect if for us to buy early access and treat that as a finished product. It makes them look bad. I expect it will take a while for these products to be fleshed out. Six months is a reasonable time to wait. I bought this map and expect that in a few weeks the bugs will be ironed out. Speaking of waiting, ED, where are my 109’s gunpods?! :grin:

2 Likes

I see your gunpods and raise you huey multicrew :blush:

3 Likes

dude have some patience its only been 7 years. And nevermind the fact it got added a few patches ago and then mysteriously removed.

4 Likes

I got to play around with that multicrew with @fearlessfrog - that was a blast, for what little we could do with it and the murderous bug that when you swapped who was in control it rotated the fuselage 90° and imparted that momentum causing some serious instantaneous G!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Desert frogs?

banjo
Why are there so many songs about airplanes?
And what it is like to fly?
Airlplanes are visions not only for pilots
And airplanes have nothing to hide
So we’ve been told and some choose to believe it
I know they’re right, wait and see
Someday we’ll find it, the airplane connection
The pilots, maintainers, and me…

6 Likes

Nothing mysterious about it, it was too early and cause a crash or two, its much closer now, gunner positions are now usable by the pilot not in control, we have been having fun testing it, so once the last of the issues are worked out it will be back.

6 Likes

Awesome! Cant wait to test it in beta.

Yes, the one thing that DCS will never need is a feature that causes crashes!

While it’s frustrating for a feature to be delayed, instabilities are far, far worse. Better to be able to do everything else alright than have this one new shiny but everything brought low.

1 Like

Oh man, that sounds like a ton of fun!

5 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes

Interesting little tidbit at 13:52… :smiley:

The “Ha!” @2:16 is not quite a “hey what’s that … doing there”, but still…

6 Likes

But far more interesting than a bunch of (longbow!) Apaches is the two statements near the end: Cyprus is happening, when and how is TBA. The other is that the map is on track for a summer release. It’s about good to go I reckon.

3 Likes

The “Huh” @ 2:16 after he looks left? I’m like, “what…did his copilot need a shave?”

Anyway, though it’s been 22 years since I was deployed to Incirlik, it looks pretty much the same.

21 posts were split to a new topic: The Morality and ‘Politics’ of Weapons of War

Back on course…so I’ve been doing a lot of flying and ME stuff with the PG Map. After a while, you get used to seeing the same buildings / can recognize them in the ME view.

This is not a bad thing. Quite the opposite. I’m always looking for buildings with flat roofs to place MANPADs in an urban environment. (Ever try to shoot an SA-18 from an alley between buildings…its like maybe you get 2-3 sec of seeing your target). Likewise some bigger buildings make great looking WMD factories, and the some of the ones with inner courtyards make great truck/vehicle hide sites.

I haven’t been able to tell from these videos but I am assume much of the scenery is “generic” types of buildings like the other maps. That said, since it is not ED, I assume new and different generic buildings. Yes?