DCS World 2.X Thoughts & Impressions

can we choose airframes?

Interesting question. Iā€™d go for WWII ones, though. Soā€¦ P51 & Spitfire vs 109 and 190.

But if you have suggestionsā€¦ go for it!

EDIT: Maybe there should be a referee with an Helo.

Bagsy the ack-ack! :grin:

I just re-read my post and feel the need to clarify - I meant I will only fly 1.5 in VR - and 2.1 on the monitor until it is sorted or 2.5 is released.

Thatā€™s exactly like a MP mission I wrote for Rise of Flight years ago. Bacj when the IRFC was in its peak, it was quite popular.

It ceases to be fun once lasers get involved. :slight_smile:

Lasers?

A-10, Su25, Ka50ā€¦

Ahh, noes! Iā€™d just keep it WWII. Maybe top tier could be Korea-Era but not furtherā€¦

Just need to organise it now buddy :wink:

HAHAHAHAā€¦ Thanks, really :slight_smile:
Sadly Iā€™m genetically incapable of setting triggers and whatnot in DCS- plus itā€™s just a silly ideaā€¦

1 Like

Been thinking about this for the past few nights ā€¦ vacation is odd when you donā€™t have access to your main PC :slight_smile:. I have been thinking specifically about how to implement this idea.

Not sure it could be done with trains as there are a number of scheduled trains already running and I am not sure if a train is ā€˜spawnableā€™ or trackable. A convoy could substitute but Iā€™d like some way to not have then scatter and sit still for 10 minutes (or whatever the internal DCS timer is set to).

I am also not sure about the ability to script the availability of weapons so that makes the reward a little difficult.

What I can think of is convoys that attempt to reach their destination and points being given for convoys that successful make the journey - meaning that players need to balance protecting their convoy versus attacking/finding the enemy convoy (yeah, Iā€™d like to have it somewhat dynamic so that you have to find the convoy). Air-to-air kills would be ā€˜punishmentā€™ and set you back - in that you would have to respawn and go through the startup sequence again - meaning that you want to preserve yourself instead of sacrificing yourself (there needs to be a way to promote survival over senseless sacrifice).

I can also see variations on this by era but it would mostly be a red-versus-blue setup. If I could think of a way to limit spawns to a point system (so a less capable aircraft is attractive as it ā€˜costsā€™ less to take and possibly lose).

The main goal would be to pit one small team against another and maybe promote teamwork/pair flying versus lone-wolfing it.

Teams would not be fixed encouraging cross-pollination of skills, rewarding games that end with a close score over one-sided victories. Ie: Get more respect by having a close competition instead of being wiped out by an obviously superior team.

Thoughts? Please post thoughts as I think this is a cool PvP idea! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What this is reminding me of is the grudge match I flew in back in December. That was great fun and a lot of it came down to having the ships and ground targets setup for each side.

It alllead to some great team play and moments like the massive antishipping alpha strike, and then forward defensive caps trying to keep them from doing the same. By making the ships worth as much as planes to destroy it made them a very viable target.

You could do very similar things with the convoy which sounds great!

Only thing I would say is the sides need to be symmetrical as far as capabilities.

2 Likes

Type: Set option
Action: Disperse under fire
Value: off (untick the checkbox)

you can approach this function through either ā€˜triggered actionsā€™ or ā€˜advanced waypoint actionsā€™

I think trains are in the sim already, and you can set up em up and make em follow tracks, but they donā€™t show up yet in the sim.

2 Likes

You can set up flags in ME to spawn bomb loaded planes when certain conditions are met. Rather than set up the airfield to rearm. If the time is set after 1945 the trains are diesel and not steam. If itā€™s possible to add steam trains it will be a simple way of identifying the target. Alternatively disable civilian traffic and only the trains placed in the editor willl be present AFAIK :yum:

Thisā€™d be cool!
So you not only have to ā€œunlockā€ the bombload but go back to the Airfield and ā€œget on it!ā€

One could tactically unlock several, use the whole actual load of his/her plane and then go back to picjk up the loaded bird.

The trick? The bomb loaded bird is spawned already. So it could be subject to an attack in the tentative option to deny the payoad to the team.
But I can admit itā€™s getting a bit too complicated.

Someone set us up the bomb!!

I just spent an hour just flying circuits with the F-5E at Groom Lake. I love flying this aircraft so much. Practiced flying on-AOA approaches on the PAPI lights right to touchdown in preparation for some carrier ops. This is actually pretty damn difficult with the Tiger with its slow spooling engines.

I also took up the Mirage 2000 for a 5 minutes spin for the first time since a long time. While it looks beautiful, this must be the most boring aircraft to fly in the world. If you want to experience the feeling of flight on a PC, a FBW aircraft isnā€™t really the way to go. I really wonder how well the Hornet will do in this regardā€¦

2 Likes

I beg to differ!

Flying through the Caucasus - often inverted - with a Mirage 2000C is some of the most fun I have ever had in a flight sim! In VR, of course, though itā€™s pretty good on the old 2D monitor, as well.

Grinning like the proverbial moggieā€¦

okay - 2.1, but still - there are bumps and holes to throw it around there, too - and tree-top level in Normandy will probs be a similar hoot.

I have been experimenting with the Normandy map a little. For the first time in DCS (and probably any flight sim) we have an environment with a very high degree of ground clutter. For ground units this means their fields of observations and fire are severely restricted towards the horizon. You can now fill the map with MANPADS and be almost immune as long as you fly fast at treetop level. Cruise at 3000 ft and you will be shot out of the sky. Target acquisition is extremely difficult though (because the clutter works both ways).

This is a very big step for DCS in terms of realistic low-level tactics and very promising. Setting up air defenses in numbers that comply with Soviet doctrine, especially MANPADS but also the other types, has so far resulted in environments that were almost impossible to operate in. I feel that with the new ground clutter, realistic air defenses can be set up that, while still being very lethal, can be operated in by applying appropriate tactics. The aircraft can survive, but its offensive effectiveness is severely restricted by the presence of air defense. Overall I think this is very realistic.

Unfortunately aircraft AI (both for wingmen and full AI flights) fails almost completely at low level, therefore I fear so far this will have limited effects outside of pure-human MP, which is not my primary area of interest.

Also the Normandy map/engine still needs considerable optimization, especially for VR. I donā€™t think I can fly full missions in the Normandy with the current performance.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a dip below the ASW acceptable 45fps on NTTR in VR as well, so am taking a bit of a break from 2.0 alpha for a while. It almost gets there with no shadows and turning deferred shadows off to go back to the old rendered but itā€™s borderline over the city itself. Itā€™s sort of a funny time for DCS, in that the alpha seems to have regressed a bit, but is just something we have to wait out. Roll on the grand merge :slight_smile: