DOSBox Nostalgia Thread

Here’s another Easter Egg in the series - Atomic Moth

Be sure to check out the “Vehicle Info” section @14:25 about the Moth, it’s hilarious. :wink:

Someone Say EF2000 Reloaded? :sunglasses:

EF2000 Reloaded is more than just a DosBox front end. Mikew built his own DosBox version to interpret the raw 3DFX code at the hardware level and translate it to OpenGL, so you actually get the full polygons set at your screen resolution rather than rendered at 640x400 and upconverted. The front end (my meager contribution in this effort) makes multiplayer campaigns a breeze (at least to the extent possible given the comparatively primitive netcode). The TrackIR is pretty sweet as well, as you can see.

5 Likes

There was a few easter eggs in USNF/MF DoS Version

USNF 97 Cut some out,

I miss Fighters Anthology

Strike Fighters Project 1 was gonna be my Fighters Anthology Replacement,

DCS World instead took that spot.

2 Likes

I spent the majority of the 90s flying Jane’s titles. USNF and its addons/sequels, USNF 97, the Longbow and other planes, IAF…

To this day, NO ONE has done training missions as well as Longbow. The walk around, the instructor doing things, handing it off to you, taking control back, highlighting things in the cockpit… DCS has finally approached that benchmark, but has not quite equaled it yet, let alone surpassed it. Twenty year old title, hard to believe.

Don’t get me wrong, I flew plenty of Dynamix/Sierra and MPS sims as well, even the Rowan ones and DI and DID and iMagic, but due to the sheer number and quality of the titles, I think Jane’s got over 50% of my time.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate? I only know of Atomic Moth, “do some of that pilot s**t” RIO comment and making your RIO lose his dinner :wink:

Another fine classic from the old days, read the video description for some cool info (and trivia at the end) and enjoy.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I’d like to have a few beers with that guy, and browse through his flightsim collection!

4 Likes

In recent light of Heatblur announcement I “upgraded” my F-14 Fleet Defender installation to use Roland sound effects and music. I haven’t found any YT video of this game running on Roland sound card so here’s one from me.

2 Likes

I had one of those, briefly. I bought it, installed it, fired up a few games…and came to the conclusion it didn’t sound good enough for how much it cost when I was so poor at the time. I returned it. Wish it had been cheaper.

1 Like

I never had one. At the time when the Roland was a standard for high-end midi in games I still had Amiga 500. When I finally bought the PC, General Midi took over. I had Aztech Sound Galaxy Waverider Pro 32 - 3D (what-a-name) with my first PC. It was Sound Blaster Pro clone with MPU-401 integrated. Funny thing is that initially I wasn’t aware that I had General Midi standard chip on my sound board (I was 14 and didn’t had much experience with PCs at the time) and I basically used OPL for midi, so when I finally heard general midi music (I think it was in Doom 1/2) when I played with the configuration in game setup program I was blown away.

F-14 Fleet Defender is on sale now.

2 Likes

Uhm… Nice!
But usually for these old games I prefer the flexibility of GOG.COM releases.

1 Like

Sadly F-14 Fleet Defender is not available on GOG.com.

1 Like

This is true retrogaming!

4 Likes

Oh my, I may need that. Then again having a house cluttered with laptops and old towers with Dos, Win 3.1, Win XP, and Win7 with various service packs does eliminate the need for additional heating in the winter.

2 Likes

After over 2 years I finally completed all the campaigns in the old Fighters Series from EA:

USNF - Ukraine

MF - Kuril Islands

USNF’97/FA - Vietnam

ATF - Egypt and Russia

NATO Fighters - Baltics

I have to say I was having really good time with those old flight sim games. So much playabilty. Where’s Brent Iverson and Paul Grace with a Kickstarter for remaking those classics?

5 Likes

I will always thank Brent Iverson for Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat.

2 Likes

… and LHX Attack Chopper :helicopter:

3 Likes

YESSS!

1 Like