First All-Electric Commercial Flight

That’s what the math says but it takes a long time to get the cell balance just right.

These days, a Horizon Carbon Cub (the 80" foamy), though in the past it’s been a Great Planes Super Stearman that I converted to electric (uses two 6S for ballast, parallel config), a 83" Tigercat (which I want to sell), and a 70" Bristol F2B. I stick with the Carbon Cub because I’m not near a friendly flying club and it can do STOL off rough terrain.

Old pics:

8 Likes

Sounds very strange…
Something’s not right. Either the charger or one (or more) of the cells.

1 Like

Two different chargers, several different batteries, though all the same brand. It doesn’t take long if I do a fast charge/no balance but the 6S batteries are expensive so I try to avoid that.

What kind of capacity do the lipo cells have?

Anywhere from 3000mAh to 5000mAh. I used the 5000 ones in the Tigercat.

And you charge those at 3A and 5A?
I came to think of a possible reason. My charger has different charging modes. regular charging, charging with balancing and just balancing. You sure you’re not in the balancing mode, because that will trickle charge until the cells are balanced, while the charge with balanace will charge faster, and then balance the last bit.
It shouldn’t take more than just over an hour…

1 Like

Oooh. That Bristol is nice!

1 Like

Yup and I use charge with balance. I also rarely run the batteries to less than 50%.

It’s by Maxford USA, they make a lot of nice WW1 models. I finished it with a matte varnish to give a textured appearance followed by some charcoal rubbing for weathering. I also have their Nieuport 17 but it’s not quite as large and runs on a 4S.

1 Like

I’m stumped…
6-8hrs is outrageous!
Lastly, so I can sleep. :wink:
Your charger is at least 110W?

Yup, both are. ETA: actually higher, my twin port one says 2x200W.

Then I have noooo idea what’s going on with your lipos, and I will lose sleep over this.

1 Like

Hah! Don’t; it’s probably just the batteries or some combination thereof. In the context of the thread subject, just means that electric power brings on its own challenges.

2 Likes

Touché! :wink:

1 Like

Yikes…did I ever mention I was on CV-67 doing some ASW serials in C2X when the BONEFISH (our target sub) had a battery well fire?

1 Like

Jesus, you were there for that?? I remember hearing about it in training- the crew was lucky it was an insulation fire, and there wasn’t a built up level of hydrogen (such as the kind that resulted in the loss of the Cochino).

Speaking of submarines (now that I finished the book about the sinking of the Lusitania) I found it very interesting that the Captain of the Lusitania, Cmdr. William Turner, (who survived the sinking) had a son, Merchant Navy Able Seaman Percy Turner, who at age 55 died when his ship the MV Jedmoor was torpedoed by U-98 in 1941.

Heck, Cmdr. Turner himself was torpedoed AGAIN while captaining another Cunard liner the SS Ivernia…he once again survived. What a life that guy lived.

2 Likes

Yep, ENS Hangar200 was on board KENNEDY for that.

Sea Story

So we were doing a helo ASW serial with a SH-3 form HS-7 Dusty Dogs. We were in the Puerto Rican OPAREA (PROA) north of the island. Fairly warm water which was a good thing.

From the helo crew:
All of a sudden the sub surfaces and we’re like “What is he doing?… that makes it easier to find him.” Then we see people just flooding out of the sail and jumping into the water. “That can’t be good.” So we kick out our rescue raft and send the rescue swimmer into the ocean to help out.

The SH-3 got on the radio to report what was going on. The exercise was suspended and everybody started heading to the scene to assist. I think we launched a couple more helos. By evening we were in sight of the sub and some of us went up to the flight deck to take a look…nothing really to see, just the boat sitting there. But somehow you could tell it was lifeless.

They took the crew onboard KENNEDY. We say a couple of the JO’s in the dirty shirt with a KENNEDY officer that was their guide…to say they looked dejected would be an understatement…they had lost their boat and a couple shipmates. IIRC a LT and a PO died on the sub.

6 Likes

Three crew members – Lieutenant Ray Everts, Radioman First Class (RM1) (SS) Bob Bordelon, and Yeoman Third Class (YN3) (SS) Marshal Lindgren – died due to the fire

I had never heard of this incident.

Wheels

3 Likes

Yep that was the incident I guess we were in the JAX OPAREA…after a while those exercises kind of run together.

The Wiki article mentions the heat inside the sub. The scuttlebutt we heard was that the deceased LT’s body had essentially been “cooked” inside the sub. It was a horrible situation.

The Wiki article also mentions the SAR swimmer - he wax a real hero. Came back to the ship with his eyes swollen shut from fuel in the water.

Funny how things happen and you move on and then decades lager you are reminded about it and all the feelings you had at the time–and maybe surpassed at the time–come back. I’ve got a few people to remember in my prayers tonight.

6 Likes