Games we are playing

Well. Time for me to enjoy a game that’s old enough to vote. @komemiute can relate.

4 Likes

OMFG, I love the old Thief! :star_struck::heart_eyes:

I played the fan-updated version a few years ago, very enjoyable.

I’ve played them all multiple times but I think in the end Thief 2 is my favorite.

1 Like

God, it’s so good. There’s a reason it’s a pillar of stealth and immersive sim genres.

If anyone hasn’t grabbed them yet, the 3 good Thief entries (The Dark Project/Gold, The Metal Age, and Deadly Shadows) are all on sale on GoG right now for a STUPID good price.

Thief™ Gold on GOG.com .97 cents

Thief™ 2: The Metal Age on GOG.com .97 cents

Thief™ 3: Deadly Shadows on GOG.com .98 cents

Three endorsements in as many posts. These games are seriously fantastic. And you can have all 3 for the price of a cup of coffee.

Though, as @JediMaster alluded to, definitely get the fan fixes for modern systems. I recommend using TFix Lite and T2Fix Lite for Thief 1 and 2 respectively and the Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3 without the minimalist project and collective textures.

3 Likes

I’m on the edge of attempting to reinstall and revisit CFS3 with the ETO/ PTO/ MAW expansions. Pray for me.

Also, just found my old MechWarrior 3 manuals, so I’ll be attempting that one too.

3 Likes

75% of a sale is better than 0% of none

There have been a few instances where I’ve thought about reinstalling CFS3 with all those excellent 3rd party planes, but frankly the task always seems so daunting i just fly Il-2 instead. :slight_smile:

I used to spend more hours per week adding planes, weapons, pylons, and such to the game and then editing the campaign files to include them than actually flying the thing. That doesn’t appeal to me anymore!
I really did like CFS3’s campaign structure, though, more than Il-2: 46’s by a large margin. It just had graphics a generation too old, especially when it came to water/shaders, that led me to spend more time with 46 and then by the time CloD came out I finally uninstalled CFS3 permanently.

1 Like

If you want 2 superb CFS3 childs see here:
https://www.overflandersfields.com/index.html

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that years ago. I’ve not really done anything with WWI in quite a while, as I’ve been waiting for the new 1C stuff to catch up (and I’ll wait for the early war stuff to be on sale). I’ll have to check this out. What’s the worst that can happen, after all?

They have a super comphreensive ww1 (the most complete ww1 cfs ever made) and a battle of britain ww2 (with a fantastic dynamic campaign).

1 Like

I still have RoF but I also have FC v1 and v2 for Il-2.

2 Likes

I recommend WotR if you’re into the Battle of Britain time period.
Although it’s build on CFS engine (with CFS graphics) the immersion factor is there.

1 Like

WotR had a big revamp on shaders and light ilumination. It not looks as cartoonish as cfs3 vanilla.

I am still playing Stray, but unfortunately the game makes me nauseous for some reason so I have to play short sessions.

Then suddenly Steam had a weekend sale on Horizon Zero Dawn so I bought it.
Haven’t played an open world RPG for some time, and I am pleasantly surprised. It is a weird setting but I like the story and gameplay.
And man, the game can be pretty.

5 Likes

Is water transparent now or is still a blue gray texture that moves around?

Neither is in reality. In atlantic north if i see the underwater part of the ship hull it is not real.
Many times in some games what is more “cool” visually/graphically not means more real. A good example is what you have with motionblur (where the the reality is not blured, but what exist is your perception of detail in a fast movement of a scene, so, if that scene in detail pass fast and you can’t get it, its fine, if you get it, its because not passed fast enough. It not requires a fake enforced blur on the scene), overlight and flare and bloom (even when you are in desert with +49ºc sunny without any cloud, you not have that light effects with your eyes. That over reality effects only exist in lens through cameras because their own optical limitations that produce that effects).
An example of these over reality effects are modern bf games, they are pretty, yes (depending on personal tastes), but they looks real? no!

Played it during the last lockdown. Satisfying combat mechanics and an intetesting storyline, and yes, it’s not too hard on the eyes either.

1 Like

Lunar Flight, 10 years later, is still relaxing fun.

8 Likes

Oh heck yeah, unapologetically love it!

Beyond all Reason - Free, fantastic RTS with deep roots in Total Annihilation.

3 Likes