GTX1050Ti? - Too late bought the RX 570 8Gb

I currently have a 960 2Gb and the 1050Ti has 4Gb, they both perform the same but with an extra 2Gb VRAM will I get better performance in DCS etc? It’s only just a little over £100 so for the extra 2Gb VRAM if I will see a difference in that regard it would be worth it. I can’t see myself getting the 1060 as it’s significantly more expensive and I’m trying to low-key improve my aged PC :slight_smile:

EDIT: Or the RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC? Cheaper and seems to get better performance…
Too late! Just bought the RX 570 8Gb for £130! :smiley:

3 Likes

DCS will appreciate VRAM, despite the 1050ti benching slightly worse than a 960.

RX570 is much better with 8G VRAM for that money. Assuming your other hardware doesn’t hold you back, with higher graphics options DCS will happily use 6-8GB of VRAM - or so it does on my 1070TI.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know my i7 920 will be the bottle neck (it’s still a decent work horse CPU though) but right now it’s not doing bad so if the RX gives me that extra VRAM to up a few sliders or settings then I’m happy :slight_smile: Big jump from 2 to 8 VRAM :smiley:

3 Likes

Way back I had a 660TI 3GB - when they got discontinued I found a local store had one of the exact same on clearance for half price so I bought it to try SLI. SLI didn’t do much and just complicated things, but I digress. Eventually card #2 died but it was under warranty from MSI so I sent it in. They confirmed it was defective and offered an equivalent warranty replacement but didn’t specify what in the ticket status update.

Later I got a package with a 670 in it. Awesome right? Well you’d think so but it only had 2GB VRAM, so despite being a better GPU it was worse for DCS. Not being a 660ti, I couldn’t fiddle with SLI either. Now it idles away on the server, which started life as a PC I built for my grandfather until he “retired” from PC’s and gave it back.

That was DCS 1.5ish roughly I think.

So always take the most VRAM you can get your hands on!

1 Like

When I bought the 960 I had no idea there was a 4Gb version until a week or so after I’d bought it and then regretted it and have ever since. It’s a good card but now the VRAM really holds me back in games, the increase in RAM and adding an SSD has helped but this can only improve further. I’ve not had a Radeon card in a lot of years though.

1 Like

Just keep on top of drivers updates and keep a copy of the current/previous one to roll back if needed. If everything is OK and no strange stuff then stay put. I’ve experienced more oddball things like strange artifacts on the couple Radeon’s I’ve worked with, including just when browsing Google Chrome and the webpage had a table so it threw a fit and displayed random pixels instead on my work PC. Following month’s driver update fixed that.

1 Like

I think I remember that always being an issue in the past too lol

1 Like

My r295x2 has done me pretty well but I’ll be swapping sides on the next one

1 Like

What’s the best graphics card driver cleaner to use these days?

I also have an i7 920 as my workhorse PC, and I went with an RTX 580 8GB, and after upgrading to 24GB RAM I can tweak DCS to give me acceptable performance with “mostly high” settings.
The 920 is most definitely a bottleneck, but the various GPU upgrades over the years have givin it a life well outside expectations.

1 Like

My 920 with the x58 chipset has been my best bang for buck ever. I ran it for years and it never needed a thing to keep it happy. Since I got the z370 board it has sat in a box in the attic, all it needs is a cooler. Project for the spring methinks :grin:

1 Like

Having just swapped my dad from a 920 to an i5-9400, the reduced thermal output is tremendous.

HWinfo cpu power at idle for 920: ~40W
plus a GPU… 560TI @ 15% TDP of 170W = ~25.5W

I5-9400, onboard GPU: 14W CPU, 2W onboard graphics.

My mom wasn’t huge on spending money buy was very happy to see the PC stop acting like a space heater.

3 Likes

I haven’t noticed any extreme heat with it or perhaps I think it’s normal lol

2 Likes

Oh so its not LEDs causing the red glow from the back of the case :grin:

3 Likes

Oh it doesn’t seem extreme now, but when you do upgrade you may find the computer room requires a sweater and thicker socks.

Yep, they got melted a while back…turns out blue LEDs don’t make it run cooler.

5 Likes