Guilty little pleasures in flight sims. What's yours?

Ha! Reading that line I imagined him standing in front of me saying that nonchalantly with a burning wreck visible over his shoulder. To which I would have to stammer in reply… “but liiiiiike…do you - have insurance for that, or???”

3 Likes

That reminds me: beating up in waves of helos in dcs using a hornet. Since amraams and sidewinders are apparently allergic to them, it’s a healthy dose of brrrrrrt that carries the day. Plus it’s good practice for snap shot gunnery; the speed delta means it’s a very short window of time that the bore sighted radar can guide the magic gun sight, so you get some instinct for where it will me, and have the shot lined up in advance.

5 Likes

A+ quotable line!

1 Like

Hehehe yea, that’s me.

“Insurance? Aah, no… But I know a guy- he’s a wizard with the body work.”

I turn to look at the burning wreckage and on cue the fuel tank explodes.

“It’ll buff out.”

5 Likes

For short range, high vD stuff I usually go old school and use the fixed gun cross to aim.

1 Like

Fun thread for sure!
I was fully expecting someone to say ‘shoot down my tanker’, but apparently we’ve grown.

My own guilty pleasure is, like others, a training mission I built and have gotten used to.

I spawn in in a Mirage 2000, either bomb Groom Lake or refuel from an S-3B (yes I should add KC-130 and KC-135F tankers) and then down the F-5s that took off from there, to celebrate. The poor Tigers don’t even have Sidewinders.

Of course, the refuelling is the tough part, but it’s getting better and better. Recently I even fuelled up from 1200 to 3200 kg in one go, when the tanker just started turning as I plopped it in.

And I can’t even remember when I last shot down the S-3! :smiley:

4 Likes

High-five! Managed to fill up my hornet off an S-3 yesterday. Mighty fine!

2 Likes

I really must be in the minority in finding the S3 easier to stay plugged into. The damn hercules is a nightmare

2 Likes

Another I’d like to add is ripple bombing. The Hornet has been more fun for this than the Hog, and when I flew the Harrier it was good as well. Sizing up a target and setting up to drop 4-8 bombs across it and then actually getting the spacing right is just so satisfying.

1 Like

Make no mistake, that still happens, especially when I attempt to do boom style tanking. Personally, Drogue style got worlds better when the Fly by wire hornet and virpil warbird stick collided into my sim experience.

1 Like

I will add my voice to the “lots of varied targets that can’t shoot back effectively” missions.

I don’t mind having to evade incoming fire when I’m not prosecuting an attack, and I don’t have a problem with attacking the enemy in air or on ground.
I just get frustrated the most quickly when I’m trying to line up that ground run and get a SAM or AAM fired at me by the one I forgot about, or wind up rushing to get the shot off before I’m fired on and then wind up wasting the shot because I did something wrong/off/sloppy. GRRRRR!

Watch Wags’ videos and he’s always shooting at things without the need to worry about getting shot himself and I think…“yeah…that’s what I need right now!”

Oddly, I DO feel off if I turn on invulnerability or infinite fuel or ammo. I’d prefer them to be all drunk or at lunch or something so I can steamroll them to being in a plane with god powers.

1 Like

You should try the Su-25A with 64 100kg bombs…
It’s been a while but was great fun. I know cluster munitions exist, but somehow I prefer rippling a shitload of bombs that each weigh more than I do. And it’s easier on the computer too!

3 Likes

My first bit of really getting in to ripple was runway strikes in @WreckingCrew’s Erl Sis, NOE under some SA-15s to stop pesky Red fighters.

As you can imagine, WC took his pleasure in beefing up the defenses to stop the pesky blue harrier messing with his mission plan! :grin:

I am due to try the SU-25, never really flew it outside some DCS test flights for FPS. Also I agree on cluster bombs - not as satisfying. Those fell better as singles or pairs.

3 Likes

Sounds exhilarating! I don’t think I’d live long in a Wrecking Crew mission XD

If you fly the Su-25, make sure to pick the -A model and not the -T.
The -A is lighter, faster and more nimble than the -T. Additionally, it has no full HUD but just a gunsight with CCIP/CCRP functionality.
This makes sure you look at gauges and stay manly.
Vikhrs are better on helicopters anyways

2 Likes

WC is very gentle with defenses, no real nasty surprises and well briefed in the mission’s briefing. In most of his missions you’d have to fly in to them for it to be a problem.

For example, in Erl Sis that airbase I attacked was not an objective. Red fighters only spawn if blue fighters probe their airspace - attack planes like Hog and Harrier don’t trip them.

The air defenses keep blue fighters from steam rolling the red base. So I only had to avoid them because I chose to be in their way.

3 Likes

Confession: I still just mash the pickle button a bunch of times until I stop hearing things drop off my plane.

1 Like

Yup, I get it. It doesn’t feel like cheating if the enemy is just ‘stupid’.

Although In Il2 I’d often do unlimited ammo simply because it gives me more time without having to interrupt gunnery practice. More of a time saving thing than anything.

Also, In more modern era focused theaters of SF2, I’d often go unlimited fuel, or the setting that greatly reduced your rate of fuel consumption (forget what it’s called in game), to account for the lack of AAR. I don’t consider that a ‘guilty pleasure’ or ‘cheating’, given it’s an unfair handicap to go into vietnam or desterstorm without tanker support.

1 Like

If memory serves, they’re pretty nerfed too, right? I get they aren’t for heavy armor, but they were lacking in enough area effect to do the needed damage to soft targets, no?

My guilty pleasure has never been obtained…but I keep trying. Aerial refueling.
I dunno…

1 Like

Ripple quantity is programmed via my thumb…

1 Like