Hard landings

Collection of some of my not so good landings.
Is it right to always have 100% flaps on landing?

I think doing that sometimes leads to a stall right at the end resulting in heavy landing?

Fly it down the runway. Keep positive control even after touchdown. That first one you bounce hard due to dropping it the last few meters. So keep a little more power on (if possible). That stuka field landing looked pretty darn good tbh.

Good advice. I have also found that you can prevent bouncing by failing to extend the landing gear…evidently the rubber tires are the part of the aircraft that most contributes to bounces during landing…remove the landing gear and remove the bouncing…problem solved! :wink:

Yeah, the issue I have often with full flaps landings is there is a very narrow zone between too much lift and stall speed.
The plane is floating…floating…floating, can’t get the alt to drop…and WHAM fall out of the sky.

I think at high weights it’s a good idea, but at low weights the planes seem to do better with partial flaps.

I can’t attest as to whether this was true in reality or not, but in Il-2 it seems to be.

Question for RW pilots. What is the proscribed procedure when you bounce a landing. Typically when I do this, I balloon up, nose high and bleeding airspeed…moving towards a stall.

I can try to put my nose down, leave the power off and try to get it on the deck again. That sometimes works, often at the cost of a blown tire or collapsed main mount.

I can put on power and try to go around. This also sometimes works, although it is often the cause of compressor stalls in the Viggen…with unfortunate results that are much to the annoyance of @Troll.

So, when this happens is it better to try and salvage the situation or risk a GA? Obviously it’s best to throw away a bad approach earlier but, sometimes…(shrug)

I’m not a RW pilot but what i’ve heard is that it depends on the airframe. On some types it is virtually impossible to arrest the bounce so you might just as well go around or risk wrecking the plane (for example, the T-6 is supposedly a notorious bouncer). On other types you can arrest the descent after ballooning with a well timed burst of power and set them down more slowly to fix your landing.

Depends on the aircraft and the available runway. If you have enough runway, you could probably save the bounce. It’s important that you don’t stop flying the aircraft. Don’t chop the power. Just keep your cool, and remain in control.
You can always go around though. It doesn’t take much power to start climbing again. But don’t slam the throttle forward. Easy does it.

Im going to be trying that see how it goes makes sense

An issue with the Viggen when using the auto throttle to land. There is bit of a lag between needing power and getting power. So you can end up nose high and at idle (since you just touchdown) with the knots bleeding away at an alarming rate as at slowly begins to add thrust. The power is coming back on but you can feel that it is not going to be enough - come out of auto throttle as you go to burner…nose high attitude and low speed mean disrupted airflow to the engine…Bang, Bang, Bang.

In this case, if Ihave about half the runway or more, probably best to try to put it on the deck and rely on reverse thrust, which does a good job.

…not much fun in that. :grin: