Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

dcs

Again, thankfully no but it does happen.

Definitely. They’ll shoot cat 3 (the more forward Tomcat), drop the jet blast deflector, and star the process to launch cat 4. It’s not particularly quick between those two, normally one of the bow catapults will launch while they’re getting 4 ready.

It is common to use both waist cats at during a launch, but not simultaneously.

Cat 4 has a shorter stroke so higher acceleration :open_mouth:

That said, they would not put both CATs “in tension” at the same time as it appears they have done here. So the F-14 on Cat 4 would likely have the wings still swept, the JBD might be down…maybe not…but the shuttle would not be in tension.

EDIT: Basically what @boomerang10 said.

Nah, it was probably the AT’s who were replacing the VDI and the rest of the electronics that were causing issues, and likely came like that from the AIMD shop. At the time, the plane captain was busy standing in line for two hours in front a locked door in Hangar Bay 2, because some nice Petty Officers with very pale skin and tired eyes told them that Supply was going to open the door and give out free sodas. But they couldn’t hang around themselves because they had to go on watch.

Yeah, you really don’t want to fire both waist cats in quick succession, and ESPECIALLY not when you had fully loaded Turkeys in tension. Bad things happen downstairs. Very quickly. So yes, you’d stagger between bow and waist cats, otherwise the Air Boss would very quickly find himself unable to launch ANYTHING off the cats for a little bit, and would be fielding angry calls from the 4th deck.

I wonder if HeatBlur will have this as a random failure. :grin:

Another angle.

Why would they punch out so quickly? Did they even know what happened?

Maybe it caught a wire, then broke, they lurched forward over the blue stuff and then felt pretty sure they were going down into the drink and decided to adios amigos. Looks like the last thing the pilot did on his way out (because the RIO does the ejection, right?) was slam those throttles hard forward (at least into AB, as I think a normal trap would just be full MIL - dunno).

I would think every trap / bolter is ful power = AB.
…but maybe usualy you dont need that much power at that point.

@boomerang10 ? :slight_smile:

I’m lucky that I have a sibling ten years older than me in the same field I’m in. A recruiter came looking for him about the time I decided it was time to leave, and he deflected her in my direction. She deals primarily in local stuff, and it’s a convenient way to ease back into the interview process after avoiding it for eight years.

Outside that, I’ve been trying to take it one step at a time. I’m out of my job on Monday. With that worry gone I get to focus on where exactly I want to go. It’s a toss up between whether I want to try and transition to commercial work, or stay in defense and move to a different customer group. In both options I have opportunities local, and know of opportunities in places I would fancy moving too. It becomes a utility of what I want to do and whom I can convince to take me. I don’t know until I try, that’s all part of the adventure.

I’ve been trying to figure this out; I’ve been able to find that it was on the Stennis, the squadron was VF-211, it was a F-14A with BuNo 158618, modex NG105, the cause as noted in the video was corrosion on the tailhook, and both crewmembers survived. Can’t seem to find out much beyond that.

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=1025

I really wonder where that plane went.
…well… into the drink obviously, but how far from the carrier?
Let’s see if we can find out…

Cannot find more than this either:
(Source: ejection history website. So sad that that one isn’t online anymore, I used wayback machine)
Sorry for the lack of formatting I just copied it out.

8th March 2002
also seen as 7th
USN F-14A Tomcat 158618
NG104 VF-211
USS John C. Stennis
Went overboard following tail hook split on arrestment.
Arabian Sea

LT Rob Woods
ejected

Ogre McGowen
ejected

Ogre McGowan great name :grinning:

Love to know his call sign lol

I didn’t hear the Boss call “Eject” on the radio. When the Boss does that, it is usually a good indicator that it is “time to deplane”.

Normally for launches and Traps, they are set to Command Eject and the RIO makes the call. I knew one RIO who was involved in two accidents and made the right call both times. 1st was running off the runway at Nellis AFB (oooh, with the new F-14 we can recreate it) where the pilot was calling “get us out of here!” and the RIO just ignored him. The second was a “spit shuttle” on launch, about one-third down the stroke and they went off the pointy end with 80 KIAS. RIO said, “It sounded like the whole world was shouting ‘EJECT’ in my ears so I decided it was time to go.”

In this case, without hearing the intercom “conversation” I cannot really say why they ejected but it comes down to airspeed and altitude…too little of both and…. Also, the ejection itself may have caused a COG change that let the jet fly away…??? I don’t know.

Well…evidently pieces of the F-14 front cockpit washed up on Norwegian beaches…

This was a well documented F-14 Mishap and interview,skip to 2:00 for footage

As soon as you feel the wheels hit the deck, you’ll advance to MIL. I don’t think AB is good for the arresting gear so if someone’s in burner, it’s typically that the throttle slipped over the AB detent by mistake.

You certainly can use burner on a bolter but it’s not really necessary as long as you went to MIL on touchdown (obviously barring any issues like the cable snapping or the video above, which I haven’t watched yet).

Flanker 2.0 called. They want their S-3 back.