Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

I refuse to fly online again unless we have a briefing longer than the flight which will comprise of plinking undefended technicals using a full rack of GBUs.

8 Likes

And that’s the fun part. First, we spend 2 hours trucking around, getting gas in the air, flying in circles, before finally going in and dropping bombs. Also, only one guy gets to drop bombs.

4 Likes

UNSUBSCRIBE! UNSUBSCRIBE!

This is starting to smell a lot like work
 AND THAT’S FOR COMMIES!

2 Likes

You’re also a huge contrarian (this from a fellow contrarian).

On it’s merits as a movie? no, Top Gun is pretty crap. It’s essentially a sports movie (dude thinks he’s good, gets shot at the pros, finds out he’s held back by his inability to work as a team, suffers loss, must work as a team, works as a team totally makes out with iceman goes on to teach others how to team). Still, the sheer a e s t h e t I c created by Tony Scott was enough to position the movie as a generational touch stone. It is the definition of what was cool post Vietnam aviation, and is still referenced today.

Also Hot Shots has some funny bit, but it is the direct pre-cursor and herald of the deluge of [Adjective] Movie franchise (Scary, Spartan, Romantic, Super Hero, whatever) of low effort parodies, and that is unforgivable. Change my mind.

4 Likes

So
 Not goin’ to Disneyland?

1 Like

While Hot Shots had its moments, I thought it was missing something overall. Compared to the gold standards of Airplane and Naked Gun, I figured out what it was: while Airplane and Naked Gun played it straight with all the absurdity going on around them, Hot Shots tried too hard to make jokes. And it was those jokes that heralded in the low-effort parody franchises.

3 Likes

That plus the amount and quality aerial photography is pretty nice.

2 Likes

I have to disagree. The chemistry between Cruise and McGillis wouldn’t rate a first grader’s lab assignment. I thought the scenes between them were awkward and painful. Meg Ryan and Anthony Edwards showed a lot more chemistry in their brief scenes together (as did Meg and Tom when he’s packing Goose’s stuff, even though this isn’t “typical” chemistry).

1 Like

At the time, my interaction with girls often were awkward and painful
 Maybe that’s why I felt that their acting was so sincere? :wink:
But seriously, I kind of like how they act. Like they both know it’s a really bad idea.

4 Likes

The scene in the elevator was done in reshoots after principal photography when it was decided the relationship as filmed was too thin. So imagine the film without that scene and that was the original extent of their chemistry.

The fact that it was filmed many months later meant both actors had different hair. So they put her in a goofy cap to cover hers and slicked his back so you couldn’t tell. :slight_smile:

Airplane!, Naked Gun, Kentucky Fried Movie, Top Secret, Amazon Women on the Moon, the Mel Brooks films
all were brilliant. By the time of Naked Gun 3(3 1/3), aptly subtitled Beating a Dead Horse, it was over. The last standouts were the early Scary Movie films and Not Another Teen Movie.

Still, I think Final Countdown gets too little attention compared to Top Gun. It came out first, and Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen were great. Also footage of an RA-5 which Top Gun failed to have, not to mention some A6M2s!

3 Likes

And why the sex scene only shows silhouettes.

2 Likes

Oh
I just thought you meant the musical piece.

Thought maybe you wanted us to play it as background music when flying MP
my bad.:wink:

3 Likes

Now my mission for the next fly-in will blast “Into the Wild Blue Yonder” on repeat across all frequencies for the duration.

3 Likes

Better than this one. Even 18 years later, it brings a shudder.

That has to be the single biggest perk of making flag rank- literally having your own soundtrack to follow you around.

2 Likes

you do realize that’s the wrong service, right
?

1 Like

Wouldn’t be insulting if I went with the right one

These last 20 or so posts were an emotional rollercoaster.

I’m now unsure of my music taste, movie taste and sexual orientation

4 Likes

Sounds like the typical male specimen.

7 Likes

Have you ever noticed that the Navy’s Song, “Anchors Aweigh” is the only service song with a reference to drinking beer? “Through our last night ashore, drink to the foam,”
just say’n :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve been searching on Youtube for the last 20 minutes, and I’ve only found ONE version that gets that line right, and then it doesn’t get the “farewell to foreign shores” bit right.