IL-2 Great Battles Dev News

Which would be

1 Like

I could see an ROF II using the DX11 engine that BoX is using now with a redone map and other updates, yes.
The original ROF will not be seeing that, though, it would be a money losing proposition.

3 Likes

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=520948

Just wow, these guys are doing top work. Comparisons of 777’s Kuban map with ED’s new Caucasus map will be very interesting.

5 Likes

the view distance improvement looks crazy good
 most deff gonna be interesting to compare between the two

Yeah, those before/after shots do look good.

Since @777Studios_Jason took the reigns the sim has pretty much had a complete 180 in terms of a regular beat of adding good new features and updates. It’s been really good to see.

2 Likes

It was certainly needed. Vastly improved.

And don’t forget they will bring us the most Amazing P-39 ever fielded by a Sim probably next year
 I hope sooner

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=523294

P-39 and raindrops :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But
 but
 but guys? The rain droplets?! Have you seen that?! OMG!

:open_mouth: How is this not a thing in EVERY simulator EVAR!

1 Like

I think the rain effect is too heavy.
Looks really nice, but the windscreen is too flooded, if you know what I mean. I have never experienced that the view through the window gets distorted at flying speed. On the ground, yes, but not at 100 kts.

Something else that struck me as being slightly off was the fact that the water droplets didn’t start to move up over the canopy until the takeoff run had commenced. It seems to me that the propwash isn’t being considered (yet).

1 Like

Agreed. However, with a little tuning, the effect should be implemented IMO. If they could sync it with propwash and throttle input, now that would be cool.

WOW
This should be incredible in VR
Can’t wait to check it out.:grin:

I already noticed, yesterday, that flying with the canopy shut makes it considerably more difficult to spot planes (even wingmen) in VR than with it open. With this added effect it will be very difficult.

Yeah, I noticed that too

Reduce the effect some, make it stop at flying speed and make it move with the propwash. Perfect!
I remember the rain effect in Flight Unlimited II blew me away
! The sound of the rain on the aircraft aluminium skin and the droplets running on the windscreen was just perfect! I may remember that in a rosy haze though
 :wink:

1 Like

Raindrops
so many raindrops

It must be raindrops
falling from my eye, eyes

Falling from my eyes

The most important part of that announcement is not the P-39. And it certainly isn’t raindrops–although who doesn’t love flying a wood and fabric airplane in the rain? It is cooperative mode! This is where I made lifelong friends in RoF. It’s a flying party that doesn’t go on for hours and doesn’t require a bunch of people. It just keeps getting better

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I was missing this from Day One.

I have a friend who I fly ROF and DCS with that has not bought BoX, and will not, until coop mode is implemented. He said something along the lines of “local player-run coop servers are a must for me to buy a flight sim”.

Once this comes out, he’ll finally get it.

3 Likes

That bloody PM :wink:

1 Like