IL-2 Great Battles Dev News

Same here. I put away my TrackIR and doubt I’ll ever pull it out again.

There are times, like during media capture, trying out a new plug-in, flying a sim with poor VR support, etc, that I still boot 2D. So not giving up TrackIR any time soon.

I refuse to get VR for that very reason. If I had a chance to drive a friend’s Ferrari for a month while they were away, but then have to go back to my Honda after they got back, I wouldn’t do it.

After a month I found I couldn’t fly anymore if my TIR failed to work. I’ve had it running every time I fly for many years now. Because of that, I refused to try to use it in Arma or any racing sims because I didn’t want to set that precedent. I’m fine with them without it, if I use it there I will be stuck always using it.

Since every title I play doesn’t have flawless VR, I see no reason to even consider it. Maybe in 10 years if it’s still around.

After all, everyone thought after Avatar that 3D was finally here to stay, but after less than 10 years 3D TVs have started and then stopped production. All you need for that is a pair of sunglasses and people weren’t willing to go for it, so why would a much heavier headset with a wire take off? 3D games came and went in like 2 years. Everyone now says “I want glasses-free 3D, then I’ll care”.
Well, I’ll take headset-free VR. I like my 3D TVs, so when VR is a wireless pair of sunglasses I’ll care.

1 Like

3 Likes

Jedi, I respect your opinion, and I understand it because I told myself I wouldn’t get on the VR train until the tech matured a version or two. But that was before I tried it :wink:

To borrow, and if I may adjust, you Ferrari analogy…
If you had a chance to borrow your friends Ferrari and you realized that while it’s not all it could be, and your Honda actually is the better car in some aspects, the Ferrari is still the best driving experience you ever had. So much better, in fact, that you gladly put up with its vices.

To me VR makes flightsimming incredible. But, flightsimming was really fun and entertaining before VR as well.
So waiting for future VR generations is not a bad idea. Not at all! Your future experience will only become even more mindblowing than mine. (U lucky SoB!)

But if we all waited for the next Ferrari, there probably wouldn’t be one… :scream:
So let’s count ourselves lucky there are all kinds of simmers, to keep the different commercial wheels rolling in our hobby :wink:

4 Likes

So does that mean you’ve given up playing all non-VR titles? Or do you try and feel miserable because they’re not VR too?

I play a lot of games. By that I don’t mean hours, I mean number of titles. They’re all over the place. There is no VR Total War: Rome, there is no VR retro FPS like Doom 3 or Half Life that I enjoy replaying.

Once I got TIR, I stopped using all my old flight sims that couldn’t support it or did it really poorly because I just couldn’t go back. I really missed some of them, but any attempt to use them with snap-views or mouse look just sucked by comparison.

I’m not willing to do that again for VR as long as I’m still playing games that have no support for it.

1 Like

Actually Doom VR is being released soon as well as HL2 is currently being ported for VR as well, not to mention Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR coming too :wink:

I still play 2d games, but having some, and specifically sim titles support VR is a great start. Due to the nature and style of some games, we will never have ALL titles in VR, but the fact that at least some, such as immersive sims offer it is better than none for sure. I have no issue playing Arma in regular 2d because that is all that it is available in, but if they do offer VR Arma one day, then I will happily make the switch, but I don’t see a benefit in ignoring what IS currently available because not ALL is available. But to each our own and hopefully one day you will find it of value to yourself as those of us who have it have it have found it.

It still blows me away after having my setups for over a year now.

Likewise…I mean…I’ve played games with VR, less games with TIR now, but still jump back to 2D when it suits me. And honestly…what does it take, 60 seconds to replug in TIR and unplug VR…so it shouldn’t be a limitation. And the lower resolution should offset the “going back to TIR” factor because you still gain something by going back to TIR.

I’m excited because I haven’t played HL2 or Fallout 4…so those will be cool titles to experience in VR.

I didn’t know they were doing Skyrim in VR. That could be a lot of fun, enough to motivate me to dust off my set.

[quote=“JediMaster, post:148, topic:3651”]
So does that mean you’ve given up playing all non-VR titles?[/quote]

It’s more of a spare time management issue.
I only have so much spare time I can devote to hobbies, and that makes me selective about what kind of games I play with. Flightsims are, by far, the most entertaining games, IMO. And of those, the ones that support VR are on top of the list. So, I tend to spend my time on those.
The only sim I really miss is Rise of Flight. Partly because I believe it would be the best flightsim for VR, if they implemented support for it.

Pre VR I really enjoyed IL-2 BoS. But once I got my Oculus Rift, that sim just slept on my SSD. I kind of felt a bit sad, because I could see how great it would be in VR. Once they implemented VR support, I woke it up, and are really enjoying it again. And it’s every bit as great as I imagined :slight_smile:

In short, VR flightsimming give me more entertainment than 2D flightsimming. That doesn’t mean 2D sims are boring…

Now if I could stop wasting time building flightsim controllers, maybe I could set some spare time aside for RoF… :wink:

4 Likes

Maybe this should be in the VR news thread but wanted to point this out for more info on the upcoming releases.

2 Likes

I just ended up getting this in the sale. Fantastic sim but how exactly does the campaign work? Do you need to fly for both sides of the conflict or keep doing those random generated missions until more story missions unlock? Also is BoM worth it? I’m very fond of some planes available in BoM (Ju-88, BF-110, BF109-E7) and I heard you can use them in the BoS campaign as well.

+1 for RoF in VR. That would be absolutely amazing. I’d pay good money for that.

1 Like

I actually got a reply from Jason Williams at 777Studios about VR RoF after IL-2 BoS VR was released and he stated the following:

For ROF we have to re-build the entire thing in the BOS engine. It’s not just a simple port. Not cheap. Someday I hope.
Glad you like our VR!
Jason

So…maybe one day. Keep requesting it.

1 Like

Edit @sobek brings up a valid point

:f111:

You forgot to include an F-111 reference in your post.

I can’t help but thinking how awesome a RoF2 in the current IL-2 BOSBOMBOK engine would be…
And, a lot of the groundwork is done. They have all the research, for instance. Don’t know if the 3D models can be reworked.
But I’d take the RoF we’ve got, with a sort of VR injector like Flyinside, if that was an option.

You know I thought the same thing. Okay, you can’t just port it. BUT, you can just redo the same game just in the BoS engine. I bet the model assets would still work, maybe some conversion needed but a model is a model. All campaign and missions and everything from gui design to mp code are written and setup. “Just” copy in new engine. I mean you would think a big bulk of the back-end/content/design would be covered already. You already have a template to work from.

I truly would not want new content or anything more than just RoF in the BoS engine with VR capability. I mean it is a sure sell and WW1 air/ground combat and current VR tech especially is a perfect match.

Man I so hope they decide to do it. I would rebuy my version no prob. Would hope dlc purchases could be carried over of course.

Exactly! So, current VR resolution is a problem with modern cockpit instruments and tiny details?
Well then… Why not make a sim from the days when you hardly used instruments at all, and you waited until you got so close to your enemies that you could ram them, before gunning them down.
Plus, the aircraft are slow and they don’t have any fancy resource hogging targeting systems.

It’s so obvious to me… I wish I could make a flightsim. :wink:

I’d buy all the aircraft all over again, if that meant I would get VR in RoF.