IL-2 Sturmovik - Summer Sale has Begun June 25th - July 9th

Isn’t that the truth? I’m strongly in the “unified controls for all aircraft so I have one HOTAS profile to create and remember” camp. But it’s always interesting to see how what I see as an advantage is a disadvantage to someone else.

1 Like

RoF had the option to tailor parts of the plane’s profile individually, specifically the axes response curves (because a Gotha and a Camel were hardly going to handle alike), but I don’t think BoX has that, or did I miss it?

Again, it’s not a deal breaker, it just requires more work before I’m satisfied. Allow me to explain. A single configuration requires you to either setup a universal controller configuration that covers EVERYTHING, spanning every aircraft and all of their variations. Or, re-configuring the configuration based on the aircraft your flying during that particular session. Consider that, let’s use the number of engines that an aircraft may have as an example, choosing to fly a single engine aircraft negates the necessity for multiple engine configurations. Therefore, every assignment associated with multiple engines is wasted real-estate, as a single engine aircraft has no need for such accommodations. So, for me, a universal configuration is about cramming everything necessary into however many input devices you may have available. A dedicated configuration for each aircraft saves some of that real-estate, as you don’t need, let’s say for example, a horizontal stabilizer axis on aircraft that don’t actually have a horizontal stabilizer, saving that axis for something more useful for that particular aircraft. And, this is why double or even triple assignments are necessary, as you can get creative and combine those things that are the same-but-different across various aircraft, but this takes time, at least it does for me. And, Rise of Flight in fact, allows you to configure axis independently, but not buttons, so it’s a step in the right direction. DCS does it best, in my opinion, but I can see why people who prefer the simplicity of a universal configuration would find it tedious.

1 Like

Also allowed you to save profiles to file.
I created specific profiles for each plane.
I think that solution is the best “one size fits all”.

Had no intention of buying anything (given that I dont have fine to actually ever fly), but I caved and bought the La-5 and FW-190 A3 to bring my BoS up to “premium”, and also BoM premium, since I’d been wanting the P-40.

BoK will have to be the next sale.

1 Like

You have chosen wisely. The A-3 is a great bird for its time. You will have your hands full with Yaks and La-5s but when flown to it’s strengths, can prevail.

1 Like

On record, yes, this is what I was asking :slight_smile:

However, to Trolls point, I didn’t catch that while RoF Content is on sale, Flying Circus is not. Bummer :frowning:

Perhaps, but I suspect Boom-and-zoom tactics combined with high(er) caliber/rate-of-fire weapons in the WWII aircraft will ultimately carry the day.

On the other hand, I have to imagine many of those rounds (even the heavier auto-cannons) would harmlessly sail right through the thin canvas of the wings and fuse. One thing that struck me in in RoF was that hitting the enemy plane in the wings/tail really didn’t do much, and it was surprising how many hits a kite can take.

Conversely, a broad-side blast from the better part of 6 brownings is likely to leave A LOT of holes…

1 Like