Insurgency Fri. & DoI Sat. Nights | Mudspike Ground Ops

I’ve got a fresh pot of coffee brewed. On my first cup now.

1 Like

I started the server one hour before the session and the disk was thrashing like crazy! Finally I got “a restart is required”.

Good ol’ Windows 10. Luckily she got goin’ before tonight’s session! Good games guys! Unbelievable performance from saghen with all his repressed killer instinct.

Saghen was there??? :stuck_out_tongue:

It was good to be back and get some trigger time. I guess if you’re away from a gaming computer for two weeks, you get laser-like focus while playing. I was in the zone, man.

Glad you got to get some play in last night, saghen, good to have you back.

See you guys at Unsung this afternoon!

So sorry adlabs! I found out the hard way that if the server subscribes to a certain mod (Vietnam - mentioned a few posts above), then all connecting clients have to download it even if it’s not used in the current session! Very stupid.

With that aside, I hate to say it but there were some excellent battles tonight! :grin:

Hey no problem. Looking into this, apparently I need to let the download finish before I can do anything further. It’s in queue, and there is apparently no way to remove it from the queue or decline it’s download. I’ll see how that goes.

But now at least we know how the process works on the server side!

Steam just started downloading a 500 mb update for DoI

Just a heads up for Saturday.

Thanks I’ll grab it tonight. The DOI crew have been making some good strides these last few patches.

See you guys on Friday night!

[quote=“Andrew116, post:109, topic:3181, full:true”]
Steam just started downloading a 500 mb update for DoI[/quote]

That 500 mb update was just a warmup to release day. :slight_smile: Day of Infamy was officially released today, March 23rd and there have already been a few more updates.

The only update with Insurgency is that, as Rhino mentioned, it’s selling for around $1 CDN … which is like what? .75 cents US!!! (Insurgency | Steam PC Game)

So if you pick up Insurgency for a buck and want to try it out online, we usually have about eight guys on the Mudspike Teampspeak server at these times …

Insurgency – Fridays @ 9pm EST
Day of Infamy – Saturdays @ 9pm EST

… the servers max out at 12 players so that’s what we’re shootin’ for!

1 Like

About Insurgency - I mentioned this to Andrew last night about the missing images for custom maps in the vote screen …

Extream has done an outstanding job of keeping this up to date with even the most obscure maps! It’s always good to have a visual reference for maps to vote for.

Check you guys later for some Day of Infamy … lots of updates lately so update early!

1 Like

good rounds tonight even though we got our butts whooped.

see you next time guys!

1 Like

From the feedback I’ve been receiving, I think my ISP is producing some latency problems and has held me back from hosting a GREAT Insurgency and Day of Infamy server.

If anyone else would like to serve and make these sessions even better, I’ll gladly provide them with the configuration files I’ve been nursing up until today!

I’ll expect them back as soon as I get my fiber optic line though. :grin:

I dunno… I think the problems we had tonight were more related to the latest patches, as they changed things and we just aren’t used to them.

Looks like they rebalanced a lot of the weapons so you can’t just run and gun as much anymore. That’s almost suicide now.

Insurgency was fine for the most part last night. Just a hiccup here and there, and that’s to be expected, really. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If we had enough people, I’d pitch in for a dedicated server that’s up 24/7, especially if we configured it so it was shown on the regular lists and contributed to profile score gain. I don’t think we do though.

2 Likes

For the most part, I like where DoI has gone. It certainly needs more solid teamwork (compared to Insurgency) to get a quality play session, or sometimes even a win. The coop mission types work well, the maps are nicely done (though some objectives can be a touch close), and a good sense of atmosphere.

Last night was my first play with the release build, so I can’t really say anything other than I need another few sessions. As Rhino mentions, the weapons have been rebalanced. The SMG types seem to be a bit less effective, and the rifles more so. I carried a WW1 bolt action rifle last night out of necessity to have that role in our group (a rifle I typically avoid), and was surprised to find myself doing quite well with it. I played that weapon the rest of the session, working from the mid-field, and landing good single shot kills. Still, I do understand complaints against this type of weapon balancing, since the AI taking what should be serious hits and still performing at 100% is annoying.

And the AI is my biggest sense of frustration in DOI. This is not new with the release version, either. All through development the AI have tended to be far and away too accurate, IMO. I could deal with this accuracy if they weren’t behaving as they do, running with a bolt action rifle and firing it with greater accuracy than my rifle which is rested on a window ledge. If instead the AI would take a knee and fire (preferably from behind cover, crates, etc), OK that kind of accuracy is fine because that’s what a player (or even real life) would likely want to do. Plus the AI having to move to a position to take that knee, gives a bit of precious time to get a shot or two in before they nail me. Similarly when I’ve got a heavy MG on a window or ledge and rain down an alley of fire, the AI will just dance in it and nail me with a rifle shot, of course while they are standing/running. Counter to all I’ve read and seen outside of PC shooters.

But this is something probably well beyond the level of AI that the developers have to work with, in the first place. They were designed for run-and-gun shooting.

As it is, though, I’m reminded of those types of games that seem to be designed around the notion that excessive difficulty is realism. I don’t always agree with this idea, and this a big part of why I am completely happy to step the AI difficulty down a notch to improve playability and most importantly, reduce or hopefully eliminate the sense of frustration, to keep players interested.

As to the server and connection, I have zero complaints. Performance has been perfect from what I can see, and while my ping is higher, well that’s just some ISP thing on my end because others don’t have this issue. I can play past the ping in both DOI and INS, so all thumbs up on that point.

2 Likes

Duly noted adlabs. With DoI, I think you were on the right track by setting the bot_damage to 0.3 (default 1.0) in your original config file. I’m going to dial that all the way down to the minimum 0.1 and we’ll see where that takes us. It’s crazy how good a shot the AI are even on our current 0 difficulty setting!!! (it can go up to 3)

On the Insurgency front, I tested the 2 difficulty setting (unforgiving) last Friday and although it was looking good for Rhino in that first game with his 45-0 kill streak (!!!), I think some other people got frustrated with the AI’s snap sniper shots (me included), so I’ll dial that back down to 1 for this Friday.

All in the name of fun. :+1:

1 Like

Anyone showing up for Insurgency tonight?

This dank vid might get you stoked! :slight_smile:

Ben G. firing a bunch of nice weapons at the Battlefield Las Vegas shooting range …

For April fools’ day I thought I’d leave the Insurgency server open to the public.

Fun sessions! :+1: Great to see that the >8 player thing works in Insurgency … not that you REALLY want that. :grin: A guy named “RazersEdge” joined pinging at about 22 (!LOL) and seemed to enjoy himself! I can hardly get that to my own server! :grin:

Looking forward to the "open” Day of Infamy session later today …

Yea, see you guys at DOI tonight.

One of these Saturday nights, I’d be up for playing the old mod version of DOI, if others are interested.

Yes. I’m also interested in playing the mod version again too