Is It Too Early To Talk About The 2022 Holiday Flight

So it sounds like we are trending towards HQCinCBeach?

And confirm that is in Charlotte these days?

9 Likes

I like the drawing, we could do it next year to decide whose home we fly to then?

Letā€™s go to Charlotte this year, great plan @Victork2 !

5 Likes

Well, any opposed?

Should we let it leaven for a couple days/a week to make sure everyone interested gets to have an opinion?

6 Likes

@Deacon211, you started this thread. Take the lead and weā€™ll follow. :+1:

2 Likes

Kind of what I was thinking is, we all end up flying to a different destination of a spikerā€¦

So for example, if I got Deaconā€™s home base, Iā€™d have to fly from Cardiff to the US. If Victor got me, heā€™d fly from (guessing Brize?) to Cardiffā€¦

Iā€™m happy to fly anywhere. Charlotte is a place Iā€™ve been in real life and I could virtually drop and see my Aunt who live in RDU. :slightly_smiling_face:

Canā€™t waitā€¦.

6 Likes

I like your idea as well @keets. Not to be modest but i think yours has a more interesting premise.

The problem with everyone mobbing into charlotte is the last legs are all going to be the same or similar.

At least with the bit of variation in destination the shorter and longer flights will still be varied and interesting.

Plus i like the idea of landing a herc on one of your fieldsā€¦

2 Likes

Well, I appreciate the sentiment. But, despite the mind paralyzing number of posts I made in last yearā€™s journey, this is not my square dance to call! :wink:

Sounds like we have two pretty fun ideas so far. I donā€™t know if anyone else just hasnā€™t had the chance to chime in yet.

Why donā€™t we leave it for a few days and let it percolate a bit. Continue to discuss as desired.

Then, next week, if someone with egg on their hats doesnā€™t make the call, Iā€™ll throw up a poll and weā€™ll see how she pans out.

Reasonable?

3 Likes

Agreed :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Sir, Yes Sir! :wink:
Iā€™m not being sarcastic or anything.
I just believe that the one who felt strongly enough about it, to start the ball rolling, is the one who should run with itā€¦

Also, this might be the first x-mas flight I can attendā€¦! :santa:

5 Likes

So, KCLT it is? KAKH is slightly closer, but much smaller.

Iā€™ll start looking at picking up something from Mexico.

1 Like

Well @PaulRix and I can can make the shortest legs in this flight, we might want to come up with some minimal distance between folks if possible.

1 Like

OK, so it sounds like Keets excellent idea is gaining some traction as well.

A couple of thoughts occur to me at this point:

1. Since some Spikers are grooving with the vibe of a shorter trip this year, we should probably include the consideration that any drawing be biased towards your preferences in this area.

Whether you Dark Star to Detroit or Bleriot to Bangladesh, we should try to accommodate everyone who wishes to join, before we RNG the rest! :grin:

1. Since the nod to Beach is a nice gesture that many seemed to like, we should consider leaving that one open to those so inclined.

It also provides a default destination for those Spikers who may not necessarily know everyone on the forum but still wish to participate.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

2 Likes

:rofl: - That sounds like an Ealing comedyā€¦

Rathaā€™

Thatā€™s ā€œratherā€, but with a British Accent.

2 Likes

Not anymore

Its ā€œraaavaaā€ :laughing:

2 Likes

I like both ideas - the thing is, especially if one is open minded to both slow and very fast flying, the total distance (as long as itā€™s longer than a dayā€™s driving distance) becomes almost a non-factor and the driving factor is the participantā€™s real time available for the trek.

Got 20 hours to spare over 2 months? That could be used to cover 2,000 NM in a helo or 10,000 NM in something faster, or a mixā€¦and you always have the Darkstar to help if a leg is too long or you run out of time.

I had a rather long journey last year and that was awesome, but part of me would have loved to fly low and slow more.

I guess what Iā€™m saying is, even a relatively local US to US journey done in a helo could be just as epic as a long transcontinental route.

6 Likes

Funny you mention that - reading the initial proposal yesterday, part of me was thinking a grand tour of North Carolina could be fun in something slow and low, since Iā€™m only a hop, skip, and quarter jump to Charlotte.

4 Likes

Would also be a great excuse to check out gliders in MSFS - with or without the thermals mods. IIRC ridge winds are amazing in default MSFS so that should get you somewhere, and even slower than a helicopter!

4 Likes