Heatblur: AJS-37 Viggen

You are not wrong

4 Likes

And a second engine. Take your choice of second tail or swing wing.

1 Like

I think they should scrap it and replace it with an F-111…it’s the only way to be sure…

2 Likes

Two tails and two engines, are they so unsure of the performance that they just bolt a second one on it so that if you loose one you got atleast the other one?!

Some would argue that’s twice as much stuff to go wrong…

2 Likes

That sounds just like how we did it in the sim.
The Rb05 sim had a full scale cockpit and a 36 square metre curved screen with a projector that displayed a movie of a landscape swooping by beneath you. Another projector superimposed a red ring ontop of the target. Once you fired the missile, you could steer a red dot into the red circle. The best way to do it was to quickly move the missile over the target, and keep it there.

Real AJ(S) 37 pilots had to do a training programme of 1000 simulated missile shots. Then they got to launch a couple of Bantam TOW missiles, launched from a modified SK 61 Scottish Aviation Bulldog trainer aircraft. After finishing this training programme they got to launch one live Rb05.
The Rb05 had a liquid propellant, that was classed as a neurotoxin. The missiles came packed inside a gas proof “condom”. We had to wear full hazmat suits to load them on the aircraft. Not something we did very often, or wanted to do very often :wink:

Today, the 36 square metre screen from the Rb05 sim is used as a projection screen for the AJS 37 sim at my old, now demilitarized, airbase museum.

6 Likes

Det var som katten! Any chance you can get a Mudspike press member in for a tour? :wink:

1 Like

No, the real answer is

2 Likes

I don’t want Viggens to be scrapped but the F111 is my fav ground-striker of all time :sob:

…don’t make me choose one. :cry: (I’ll just buy both anyway) :wink:

3 Likes

Pffft, if you wan’t power you take a bigger engine, you don’t chicken out and bolt on a second one… So lazy…

It’s kinda like a threesome @TheAlmightySnark. You want two top fit ones instead of one biiiiiig rollypoly one

In any event I am feeling the f111 lurve , matt wagner must surely feel the force is strong with this airframe.

But in any event the viggen will be an excellent stop gap for my fast jet ground pounder

1 Like
5 Likes

Rb75, oh nice. In my research so far on the Viggen I’ve calculated that’s almost 70 more than the Rb05! :wink:

Love the ‘WIP’ caption on that 2nd missile :slight_smile: :mudspike:

1 Like

Next part of @bunyap2w1’s preview is up!

3 Likes

@EinsteinEP did you have a go with the BK-90 already as well?

Test results pending.

3 Likes

OK, enough of the videos. If the Cosmos had wanted me to be a videographer, it would have given me a Sony Vegas Pro license.

Before I get to the BK90 impressions, however, I’ve been playing with the HE dumb bombs.

There are 7 bombing modes (that I can find).

1. PLAN / ANF = Level
  2. PLAN / NAV w. slick bombs = Direct Release
  3. PLAN / NAV w. high drag bombs = CCIP
  4. DYK¹ / ANF = Precision
  5. DYK / NAV = Quick
  6. RR / ANF = Radar
  7. RR / Toss

¹DYK is the Dive bombing mode
``

• Level bombing is CCRP using the HUD cue to set the fall of the bombs. Press and hold the weapons release trigger and the computer will release the bombs once you hit the computed parameters.
  • In Direct Relase the bombs are released per the set impact spacing. This is intended to be used by a wingman flying in tight formation with his leader, dropping bombs off of a verbal cue.
  • CCIP in the Viggen is similar to CCIP in other aircraft, but it’s only used for the HE bombs with chutes.
  • Precision seems to be like CCRP but uses radar ranging for more precise impact prediction.
  • Quick is like Precision but has simpler HUD symbology (possibly without radar ranging?). I need to play with the diving release modes a bit more.
  • Radar release mode is for dropping bombs on a radar cue only. Given that picking up small or moving ground units on radar isn’t the Viggen’s speciality, this isn’t a very precise mode and should be used for attacks in bad weather and against targets with clear radar signatures (ships, large buildings, etc.).
  • TOSS is a toss release of the weapons.

With most of these modes it is critical to have an accurate target location and accurate navigation solution and an accurate QFE for the target area. I can already forsee the ED forums fillin up with bug reports because of self-induced bombing errors.

#Level Bombing

Perhaps the simplest sounding of the methods, it is a challenge to get bombs on target precisely in this mode. In my test case, I set up a convoy of Soviet IFVs on an island near Poti and due to navigation errors, I had to always update the target waypoint before each run. This process is worth a whole article in and of itself. It’s not hard, but requires discipline and some basic flight planning prep.

The weapon selector dial on the left is set to PLAN (read the row with BOMB in it) and the sight mode dial on the right sets the impact spacing (in meters). For my run, I’m taking 16 bombs so an impact spacing of 10m should be more than sufficient.

Running in in ANF mode, you can see the little string of targets on the island and the single point reticle up above. I need to place the reticle on the target and UNSAFE the trigger.

Reticle on target, you can see I’ve drifted off course a bit. The point now represents where the first bomb will hit and the line represents the last bomb’s impact point. This pattern, while a bit askew, should cover the whole convoy.

Pressing and holding the release trigger, I pull up to level flight and get some new symbology.

Had I done this properly (released at a higher altitude!) I would have seen a steering cue to guide my aircraft over the targets.

With the trigger held down, the computer calculates the proper release conditions and releases the bombs at the proper time.

Now I perform my looky-what-I-did escape maneuver and assess the damage.

Smoked 'em!

Of all the pre-planning steps, getting the QFE pressure right is critical. Just 1 millibar of error is about 9 meters (30 foot) of altitude error, which can result in a really large downrange error in your bomb impacts.

8 Likes
3 Likes

So three things

1), How? Is there a way to determine local QFE before or during the mission independent of ATC

2). Why? Doesn’t the Viggen navigate via doppler, which entails a bunch of ranging radars. How does it not have a radar altimeter?

3). hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

2 Likes

In MP, you could deploy a fellow Huey who lands near the targets ands zeroes his altimeter.

I guess…:smiley:

Honestly I still can’t believe the whole QFE/QNH is not implemented to DCS’ ATC. Would be easier to extent it to FAC I suppose.

Does F10 give us enough information?

How is it done in real life?

2 Likes