Heatblur: AJS-37 Viggen

Obviously

1 Like

Hey…let’s do this thing

So…uh…Page 1…

2 Likes

Pointy end at front I think?

1 Like

So there’s a handle bottom left of the front console. Pull that back. Throttle forward. Profit.

1 Like

So - full disclosure - I would not have been able to get this thing started using my Cold & Dark Challenge…hunt and peck technique. Maybe with an English cockpit…but probably not…

I mean…renflygn?? That’s an Ikea pleated lampshade right?

I pressed the button…but…

4 Likes

So at the end of the cold start tutorial…you are instructed that you are at the end at that you should proceed to the takeoff tutorial to learn a bit more. I consulted with my six year old…and we agreed…Daddy-ström should try to take her airborne without all that “instruction”…what could go wrong?? (The ejection seat is armed after all…) Let the big dog eat…

Anyone else hoping there isn’t a gust lock? Yeah…me too…

7 Likes

OK…apparently something else needs to be turned on…because I barely survived that takeoff. Like…there must be some sort of SAS system I didn’t turn on…because I don’t know if I can get this thing back…

2 Likes

OK…might have figured out a part of it…my old, old CH Pro pedals have a bit of left drift in them…causing a near constant smidge of left rudder input. Setting a deadzone and some curve seems to have tamed a bit of the gyrations…

1 Like

Woot…! I’m calling this a successful landing…(the crew chief, base commander, head of CFR, and the above dog may disagree…but it isn’t on fire…!)

3 Likes

My takeoff skids marks and track…err…positive control was…uh…challenging…(I’m still blaming my HOTAS and rudder pedals…)

3 Likes

My first landing in the Viggen - I just picked an AOA after doing some approach to stall flying in the pattern. Turns out, I was a bit too slow…and my rudder corrections went into PIO in the rollout. Again, this was without taking any of the tutorials after the engine start…so I’m guessing there are some pretty specific techniques and instructions within that should (cough) iron this out…

2 Likes

First thing out of the gal’s mouth on the takeoff tutorial…(paraphrasing…)

“Make sure the SPAK autopilot button is on…providing control dampening…”

1 Like

Watching that, are they any Rosary Beads to hold when landing? Nice quick pedal dancing though (said as someone who could build an Eiffel Tower from Spitfire landing wreckage). :slight_smile:

@wagmatt just uploaded this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScE09SQRc4s

Great stuff!

1 Like

LNS should be cruel and put those training missions at Mesquite in NTTR…

1 Like

No.

Crueler…

Echo Bay

1 Like

Does this thing have a chute? If not…floats? Might need floats…

Ya’ll gonna like the Viggen in VR…the cockpit is uh-mazing…

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wthLKEiWyM

Viggening Intensifies

3 Likes