Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

Any Bowie and Tomcat fans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

1 Like

3 Likes

The pilot armament control panel.

6 Likes

:scream:

Are those USB ports? And why is the Jettison button a screw that is twice as complicated as the ACM screw?

Also, while I am being snarky, why 1A, 1B, 3 and 4. Can’t the navy count?

2 Likes

Have a chocolate.

Or more

You’re not you when hungry

Remember “Wheaton’s Law”

:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’re talking about the group of humans responsible for the “Fathom” and “Furlong” units of measure.

2 Likes

You keep your dirty mouth shut, a Fathom is a fine unit!

1 Like

Wheres the Volleyball button?

3 Likes

Next to the tape deck, which only has buttons labeled Kenny Loggins and Berlin.

Harold Faltermeyer

:joy:

1. Why yes, they are. With four available TV screens, the F-14 community was famous for their wicked LAN parties
  2. Cost saving measure, the Navy was dissatisfied with the number of jets that were dumping their stores to ACM, so they changed the switch to be a Philips head screw for jettison, while ACM mode required a flathead.
  3. This was actually a clever scheme to prevent anyone from stealing the jet. The printed manual actually states “press store 2 for start up”. Any Canadian infiltrators that made it to the jet would be stuck, and then captured and clubbed by Marines.
  1. That’s the pilots’ store status indicator. A horizontal white line means that a weapon is present on the pylon. A checkered square means that the store on that pylon is the currently selected weapon. A black box (no line, no checker) means the pylon is empty.
  2. It’s not ACM. JET. It’s ACM JET, one phrase, which refers to the giant red/white striped cover above it. You uncover, lift the switch, and it jettisons things.
  3. 1/8 A/B thing is odd, but sorta makes sense. 1/8 A is the main pylon that comes down and is capable of holding either an AIM-54, AIM-7 or AIM-9 depending on the rail adapter installed. 1/8 A is the rail that shoots off, and can only hold the AIM-9. Grumman probably considered since you can’t have 1/8 A without 1/8 installed, they should label it as such.

As for why the numbering scheme goes 1A/B, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8A/B. Stores 2 and 7 are the under intake pylons, and they are only capable of mounting fuel tanks. The pilot rarely needs to check the weapons status of his external fuel tanks.

If you really want a freak out, consider the F-14 has 12 pylons, and only 8 can be selected. Confused? There are Six pylon mounting points underneath the tunnel. There are four semi recessed Sparrow mounts, arranged with two across in front, and two arranged one behind the other two the rear. So what if you want to mount the AIM-54? There are four points: the front two cover up the front two sparrow recesses. The back two use separate mount points astride the rear sparrow recesses. Why only eight stores on the display? The phoenix mounts cover up the sparrow ones, so it’s impossible to mount them at the same time. Unless you only mount the two forward Phoenix pallets, then you can still use the rearmost sparrow recess.
10 Likes

Because Tomcat.

That’s so Navy, it’s terrifying.

4 Likes

I Tomcan’t even.

1 Like

5 Likes

MP Multicrew!

5 Likes

Is it just me or do I see god’s heaven shining out of my desktop screen when I look at all these images of the F-14?

1 Like